U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 2,810 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've found myself in a situation in which I'm seriously considering moving to FL to be closer to elderly parents who live in Palm Coast. So, JAX, being a larger city in which I might have a good chance of finding a job, and is within an hr or so from Palm Coast seems a logical destination. I also see that housing prices are quite reasonable, as compared to other large cities. However, the more I research JAX, the more hesitant I get. So I'd love to hear some feedback, from people who live in JAX, on two questions:

(1) The Job Market. My professional background is in technology--most recently as a senior technical program manager in telecommunications (although, I have a rather varied experience in the tech field). Never finished my degree, but I do have a Project Management Professional certification, and about 25 yrs of experience in the professional enterprise space. I suspect I would not find a similar salary to what I have in the past. But, the cost of living in FL is also significantly lower. So, seems doable. Thoughts on my chances of finding a job in JAX?

(2) job aside---my biggest concern in reading about JAX is the level of political/social conservatism. I *get* that JAX is the south and I'm familiar, in general, with southern culture (born an Okie and grew up in Dallas area.) But, I have lived my entire adult life living in pretty progressive cities (DC, Seattle--and am currently in Santa Fe). And, I have deliberately chosen to live in more progressive cities because I'm a lesbian. I don't want to make too many assumptions about JAX, but the vibe I'm getting from this area of the country is that there is some significant animosity towards LGBTQ folks. The fact that JAX city council JUST voted, last year(?) to explicitly condemn discrimination against LGBTQ suggests to me that this is good forward progress. But, at the same time, wow....The fact that so many people in JAX, seemingly, opposed that move only last year! worries me.

I can get along with anyone, regardless of their personal/political views. I do realize I'm likely to run across more vocal christian evangelical fundamentalist'---which I can just step around. Live and let live. But, potentially having to deal with people who would actually deny me housing, or a job simply because I'm gay is a situation that I'm not sure I have the tolerance for. I have become very costumed to living my life without worrying about open/blatant discrimination (or, literally, being afraid to be openly gay). I have read some pretty awful things about JAX. True? Not true? Should I be worried about where I choose to live in JAX? Am I imagining a regressive political/social attitude that doesn't actually exist for [most] people? What IS the deal in Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 12:27 PM

949 posts, read 1,193,319 times
Duval County is pretty evenly split politically. Trump only won the county by 2 points or so. However, it's not like Seattle or LA or San Francisco with a large population of white liberals. It's more like North Carolina. Moderate Democrats, mostly African American, who are culturally conservative. Duval county is over 30% black so that is the core of the Democrat Party. There are close to a million people though so if you are politically active there are lots of opportunities to get to know like minded people. But it's definitely not Seattle.

You might find more professional opportunities in the IT sector in east Orlando near U C F. There's a growing tech center in the area and Orlando is becoming more and more liberal because of the increasing puerto Rican population.

Last edited by logybogy; 06-09-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 2,810 times
Thanks for the response Logybogy---I have no illusion that Jax is like Seattle, nor would I expect it to be. And don't care about the racial demographics. I lived in DC for close to 20 yrs and, currently, live in Santa Fe where as an Anglo I am a minority, (but have absolutely no fear of being openly gay).

Bottom line, I'm worried that JAX (much like NC, where I have also lived) is a place in which having an HRC bumper sticker on my car could invite vandalism or some other sort of ridiculous nonsense---or, holding hands in public will incite some ass-backwards accusation that, simply because I have displayed some minor and insignificant display of PDA, by holding hands--- that I'm "forcing" my "lifestyle" on other people (or worse). I know there are decent people anywhere. But, perhaps, Jax is a bad idea for me. At any rate, again, thnx for the response.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:31 PM

949 posts, read 1,193,319 times
The best place for you might actually be Broward County in South Florida around Fort Lauderdale. It's the closest thing I can think of to a place like Seattle in Florida as far as politics goes and it also has a huge gay population. It's the most liberal area in Florida.

It would increase the drive to see your parents to about 4 hours but you'd probably be much happier.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:21 AM

46 posts, read 43,430 times
If you are seriously considering Jacksonville, visit and spend some time near the Urban Core neighborhoods such as Riverside and San Marco. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the number of "decent people".

Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 PM

6,838 posts, read 7,534,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarcomatt View Post
If you are seriously considering Jacksonville, visit and spend some time near the Urban Core neighborhoods such as Riverside and San Marco. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the number of "decent people".
The urban core hoods or the beaches (Jax-Atlantic) will 100% be where you'd feel most comfortable. But San Marco has the burgeoning "donut district," of which our preceding poster presides as mayor.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 PM

5,849 posts, read 4,056,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2live View Post
Thanks for the response Logybogy---I have no illusion that Jax is like Seattle, nor would I expect it to be. And don't care about the racial demographics. I lived in DC for close to 20 yrs and, currently, live in Santa Fe where as an Anglo I am a minority, (but have absolutely no fear of being openly gay).

Bottom line, I'm worried that JAX (much like NC, where I have also lived) is a place in which having an HRC bumper sticker on my car could invite vandalism or some other sort of ridiculous nonsense---or, holding hands in public will incite some ass-backwards accusation that, simply because I have displayed some minor and insignificant display of PDA, by holding hands--- that I'm "forcing" my "lifestyle" on other people (or worse). I know there are decent people anywhere. But, perhaps, Jax is a bad idea for me. At any rate, again, thnx for the response.
Not unique. I am afaid to put MAGA on my hat or bumper because it could invite vandalism also. See how it works.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 AM

370 posts, read 213,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarcomatt View Post
Define "decent People" please?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:54 AM

370 posts, read 213,427 times
As to OP, make no illusions...this is the South. No one will mess with you because you're a lesbian. You may get looks, sure, but that all depends on your appearance, how you act in public, etc. In other words, no one here cares that you're gay, but no need to flaunt it in peoples faces. Just like any form of PDA, it's inconsiderate and cringey.

As for your quandary, you may wish to look further down the I-4 corridor towards Orlando. More "progressive" and equi-distant to Jax (Palm Coast is actually part of the Orlando media market)

Old 06-11-2018, 07:14 AM

21,995 posts, read 32,242,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2live View Post
Hi, I've found myself in a situation in which I'm seriously considering moving to FL to be closer to elderly parents who live in Palm Coast. So, JAX, being a larger city in which I might have a good chance of finding a job, and is within an hr or so from Palm Coast seems a logical destination. I also see that housing prices are quite reasonable, as compared to other large cities. However, the more I research JAX, the more hesitant I get. So I'd love to hear some feedback, from people who live in JAX, on two questions:

(1) The Job Market. My professional background is in technology--most recently as a senior technical program manager in telecommunications (although, I have a rather varied experience in the tech field). Never finished my degree, but I do have a Project Management Professional certification, and about 25 yrs of experience in the professional enterprise space. I suspect I would not find a similar salary to what I have in the past. But, the cost of living in FL is also significantly lower. So, seems doable. Thoughts on my chances of finding a job in JAX?

(2) job aside---my biggest concern in reading about JAX is the level of political/social conservatism. I *get* that JAX is the south and I'm familiar, in general, with southern culture (born an Okie and grew up in Dallas area.) But, I have lived my entire adult life living in pretty progressive cities (DC, Seattle--and am currently in Santa Fe). And, I have deliberately chosen to live in more progressive cities because I'm a lesbian. I don't want to make too many assumptions about JAX, but the vibe I'm getting from this area of the country is that there is some significant animosity towards LGBTQ folks. The fact that JAX city council JUST voted, last year(?) to explicitly condemn discrimination against LGBTQ suggests to me that this is good forward progress. But, at the same time, wow....The fact that so many people in JAX, seemingly, opposed that move only last year! worries me.

I can get along with anyone, regardless of their personal/political views. I do realize I'm likely to run across more vocal christian evangelical fundamentalist'---which I can just step around. Live and let live. But, potentially having to deal with people who would actually deny me housing, or a job simply because I'm gay is a situation that I'm not sure I have the tolerance for. I have become very costumed to living my life without worrying about open/blatant discrimination (or, literally, being afraid to be openly gay). I have read some pretty awful things about JAX. True? Not true? Should I be worried about where I choose to live in JAX? Am I imagining a regressive political/social attitude that doesn't actually exist for [most] people? What IS the deal in Jacksonville?
Being similarly LGBT, also having lived for many years in much more progressive areas (DC as well, Philly and Durham-Chapel Hill NC) and moved back to FL for the same reason (aging parents) I totally get your concerns and even though some are touting Orlando as a better option than Jacksonville, will say by a small margin. While clearly more "blue" the city/area isn't really any more progressive otherwise as exhibited by the very low educational attainment numbers. I would opt for proximity to Palm Coast in your case and focus on what is also an expanding IT sector in Jacksonville. There are a number of neighborhoods to focus on there that'll provide a comfortable environment minus most if not all the concerns you bring up including the aforementioned San Marco, Avondale, Riverside and Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or