Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:56 AM

661 posts, read 866,916 times

Advertisements

As long as there is demand, there is no slowing the development. It will take a couple of these developments to flop before the hungry ones behind them witness it and pull back. That slow down may also be temporary and it could get a 2nd wind. Hopefully roads and schools can play catch up.

So much of the population increase is folks coming from out of state. Everyone wants to move to Florida and it doesn't take much research on the internet to narrow down good choices. It's funny when people move to a certain area and stick a flag in the ground and scream 'ok no more!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:24 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Just because you're new to the area doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on growth in your county. I'll bet you all are the ones driving around withe the "FloGrown" stickers on your pickup trucks, huh?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 AM

25,440 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Where do you relocate to if you don’t mind me asking ?

I’m not saying no to growth, but let’s plan better. A family moving in will use up more services then they pay in taxes.....plus the infrastructure needs to be upgraded....you just won’t be able to have 210 as a 4 lane highway anymore,,,

Just plan better...what’s the rush ?
We relocated to a very rural locale that doesn't have many amenities, unfortunately. That's about the only choice. The rush is for the developers and the government officials to hurry up and make as much money as they can as quickly as they can. It just doesn't stop, even when people come out in droves. I've worked in government before and I can tell you that politicians will tell the public exactly what they want to hear. They'll tell them that they understand, that they're listening, etc. So the public goes away mollified, and I'll be damned if the politicians will still vote to allow the destruction. In Nassau County, there is a tree law in the city. So what does the developer do? They come in and still cut down the 100 year old old trees, say oopsy, pay a fine and go on their merry way with their development. I have no idea how it will ever stop. It's like uncontrolled growth has taken on a life of its own.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM

370 posts, read 325,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Just because you're new to the area doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on growth in your county. I'll bet you all are the ones driving around withe the "FloGrown" stickers on your pickup trucks, huh?
Opinion, sure. But you moved here to find paradise..little did you know you're helping to kill it off.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Opinion, sure. But you moved here to find paradise..little did you know you're helping to kill it off.
Oh please. I bought a single pre-existing house. I didn't buy up 500 acres, kill all the trees, build a few hundred homes and add nothing of value to the roads/schools. As hard as you try to lay blame on new residents it just doesn't hold water.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 AM

370 posts, read 325,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh please. I bought a single pre-existing house. I didn't buy up 500 acres, kill all the trees, build a few hundred homes and add nothing of value to the roads/schools. As hard as you try to lay blame on new residents it just doesn't hold water.
LOL of course it holds water! Who do you think is buying all the new homes? Hint: about 85% aren't from 'round here.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
LOL of course it holds water! Who do you think is buying all the new homes? Hint: about 85% aren't from 'round here.
You do realize that each and every development needs formal approval by the County Commissioners, correct? I'm certain each CC is a "local" from near Jax too. So I blame these locals.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,586 times
Quote:
There are plenty of homes for sale with previous owners. If these scumbag county commissioners would stop giving out permits li,e candy, any new residents could look at any of these homes for sale that aren’t newly constructed, there are 3 houses on my block alone for sale, and since it is a fairly new block, these homes are at most 3 years old. Silver leaf is planning 10,000 homes. Where are they going to find 10,000 families to come here?

Old 06-28-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of homes for sale with previous owners. If these scumbag county commissioners would stop giving out permits li,e candy, any new residents could look at any of these homes for sale that aren’t newly constructed, there are 3 houses on my block alone for sale, and since it is a fairly new block, these homes are at most 3 years old. Silver leaf is planning 10,000 homes. Where are they going to find 10,000 families to come here?
When the November election comes up believe me that there will be ample light shed upon each Commissioner's voting history with respect to approvals of new developments. Jimmy Johns has been the biggest supporter of development at any cost.

FYI - many folks who are running for election are making their rounds to individual neighborhoods. Definitely worthwhile to go to these town halls to voice your concerns and to get a feel for where they stand on these issues.

I think we all understand growth is going to occur and many folks are supportive of that. It's the *pace* of the growth that has many people (me included) concerned.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:38 AM

316 posts, read 359,911 times
Quote:
there are 3 houses on my block alone for sale, and since it is a fairly new block, these homes are at most 3 years old.
Sith that sounds like quite a lot considering they're all on the same block and only three years old. Is this an anomaly ? I was somewhat surprised by that, as new home ownership here is usually much longer. With an occasional 'early' sale for financial or job related reasons. Do you happen to know why they're selling ?
As to your point, I totally agree. As someone who is considering a move to SJ I would gladly purchase a pre-existing home as long as it meet my needs. To ruin an area - as they did up here in NY - through over-development just so I could 'have mine' would be counter-intuitive. One reason I would find an area desirable would be a sensible balance of development and space. In my search I've come across many areas in other states where over-development has had a negative impact on traffic, healthcare and so on.

Quote:
Silver leaf is planning 10,000 homes. Where are they going to find 10,000 families to come here?

Probably NY, folks are running out of here like it's on fire !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville