U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 3,409 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all. My husband and I moved back to Florida (Pinellas County-Palm Harbor) a few years ago. We knew Pinellas County is the most densely populated county in Florida, but it is now intolerable for us. So. Many. People. I know, too, that Jacksonville is large, but I still prefer it. In this area there are a lot of retirees and 55+ communities. Based on what I have found, the Jacksonville area doesn't have much in this type of housing. First, is anyone aware of 55+ communities in Jacksonville (not apartments/condos)? Second, I noticed that many people inquiring about locations in the Jacksonville area have school aged children, and we do not. So schools are not an issue for us. I like the St. Johns area, but if we moved there it would not be for the school system. We prefer a "slower" paced area, away from the bustle of school activities, actually. Thoughts? Many thanks. Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM

5,929 posts, read 4,129,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangorPam View Post
Good morning, all. My husband and I moved back to Florida (Pinellas County-Palm Harbor) a few years ago. We knew Pinellas County is the most densely populated county in Florida, but it is now intolerable for us. So. Many. People. I know, too, that Jacksonville is large, but I still prefer it. In this area there are a lot of retirees and 55+ communities. Based on what I have found, the Jacksonville area doesn't have much in this type of housing. First, is anyone aware of 55+ communities in Jacksonville (not apartments/condos)? Second, I noticed that many people inquiring about locations in the Jacksonville area have school aged children, and we do not. So schools are not an issue for us. I like the St. Johns area, but if we moved there it would not be for the school system. We prefer a "slower" paced area, away from the bustle of school activities, actually. Thoughts? Many thanks. Pam
https://www.55places.com/florida/com...bb-ponte-vedra This is near Jacksonville

Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM

74 posts, read 69,253 times
the cascades in World golf Village is a 55 plus, It's St Johns county but very convenient to 95 and many restaurants and shops and a Publix.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:15 AM

711 posts, read 424,917 times
Dell Webb Pointe Vedra. There are a few popping up in Ormond beach and Daytona also. But beware of High CDDs. We looked at Dell Webb and the new homes were way more expensive than the resales. Also the New ones in PV are Stick Built, the older ones (Not that Old) are CB, a way better construction medium for this Area.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 PM

384 posts, read 354,178 times
As a person that is over 55 I find the desire to live in a specifically over 55+ community curious. This is not a criticism. I guess I just don't really understand what your getting in a 55+ community. Is there a financial benefit? or is strictly you don't want any children around? Because if it is just the children not being there, it seems you could open your horizons to many places. For example I live on Amelia island. Now we have lots and lots of developments that have very stringent rules and are full of almost exclusively retired people. You drive through any of these places and find well manicured homes and nothing but older folks there. I suppose maybe there could be a child or two, there is no sign of them. Why would developments like this not be on your perspective list?

Old 06-18-2018, 05:27 AM

711 posts, read 424,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
As a person that is over 55 I find the desire to live in a specifically over 55+ community curious. This is not a criticism. I guess I just don't really understand what your getting in a 55+ community. Is there a financial benefit? or is strictly you don't want any children around?

No not for the kids, one still gets visiting grandkids playing about. It is for the amenities only in our case. We do not want our own pool anymore but want access to one. 25,000+ sqft clubhouse, We want tennis, resort style pools, indoor and outdoor, social clubs, library, Café and bar all on the property.

Some are better than others. But most of the new ones are like the ones you get at a Sandals resort. We currently live in a regular country club community but the clubhouse is really just for the golfers to sit around in after golf and the pool is really not better than ours in our yard. Also the food is not good and the social clubs seem to be only for the toffee nosed geriatric ladies that seem to congregate there.

The Only issue we are finding with the newer 55+ places is they mostly inland in Florida or in the overcrowded West Coast and South Florida areas. We want to be at least 5 to 10 mins from the beach, We are lucky now as we can walk to the beach, if we want to (When it is cooler) as it is only a couple of miles. Once on the beach there are lots of breezes, inland is like a sauna in Florida in summer (Now), even if it is only 10 to 15 miles inland.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 AM

384 posts, read 354,178 times
Well if you have enough money you might enjoy living at the plantation, which is a resort but also they have all types of property from huge homes to condos on and off the water. I don't think it is 55+ but there are really no kids there.

Amelia Island Real Estate | Fernandina Beach Homes for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or