U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:49 AM

370 posts, read 218,358 times

Advertisements

Not Orange Park, not Avondale/5 Points/Riverside...but Westside.

And go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 PM

7,001 posts, read 7,642,286 times
Well for all-around Asian food I would go with Pho 99. Ironically, for pho I would suggest Yummy Pho. Vietnamese is really the only thing we have in Jax that is quality Asian food. Some ok sushi, korean, thai and dim sum, and supposedly some alright ramen and hot pot spots now that I havent been to, but really only Vietnamese is genuinely good.

Boiling Crawfish is also good for Viet-Cajun but not sure if you count that as an Asian restaurant.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,365,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Well for all-around Asian food I would go with Pho 99. Ironically, for pho I would suggest Yummy Pho. Vietnamese is really the only thing we have in Jax that is quality Asian food. Some ok sushi, korean, thai and dim sum, and supposedly some alright ramen and hot pot spots now that I havent been to, but really only Vietnamese is genuinely good.

Boiling Crawfish is also good for Viet-Cajun but not sure if you count that as an Asian restaurant.
I've completely given up on Japanese places (ie. sushi) in Florida. It flat out sucks everywhere here. For those of you that eat sushi, beware of Escolar fish which I've seen used here as a substitute for tuna since it mimics the texture/taste and is dirt cheap (they call it white tuna...). Its oils (wax-ester), can't be digested by humans and will make you very sick if you consume too much of it. You can google it but it's a white oily fish. Try and get ahead of it when you order and tell them you don't want Escolar.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 4,604 times
Quote:

Getting further away from OP's "Westside", but I think we have some legit Korean food here too.

Gangnam is very decent. I worked in a good Korean restaurant in RI and food that Gangnam sends out is very comparable.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:14 AM

370 posts, read 218,358 times
^ Agreed, Japanese in Jax blows. Supposedly, Jax has the most sushi restaurants per capita than any other US city. You'd think the quality would be better.

Gangnam is pretty solid, albeit rather pricey for Korean. Wanting to try Kim's in Mandarin soon.

Did try Pho 99 this past weekend. Decent prices and I did enjoy my pork and noodles.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Supposedly, Jax has the most sushi restaurants per capita than any other US city. You'd think the quality would be better.
I think that's why the quality is bad. There are too many Joe Blows with zero experience out there preparing the rice, fish etc. incorrectly. I've yet to come across one Japanese Restaurant in Florida where they had a Japanese sushi chef. The only one was Tama's in Neptune Beach but the owner went back to Japan few years ago. Never got to try his sushi.

Not that being Japanese is a prerequisite but it would help if these clowns at places like Kamiya 86 or <insert restaurant name here> had trained under one at some point...

Full disclosure: I'm Japanese

Old 07-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
^ Agreed, Japanese in Jax blows. Supposedly, Jax has the most sushi restaurants per capita than any other US city. You'd think the quality would be better.

Gangnam is pretty solid, albeit rather pricey for Korean. Wanting to try Kim's in Mandarin soon.

Did try Pho 99 this past weekend. Decent prices and I did enjoy my pork and noodles.
Haha we ate at Gangnam on average once a week from when they opened until we moved in august of 2017. Heard from my parents that it changed ownership after that and isn't quite as good. Was easily our first choice over Sam Won or Hot Pot (to be fair only ate there once). I haven't been to Kim's or Korean BBQ House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I think that's why the quality is bad. There are too many Joe Blows with zero experience out there preparing the rice, fish etc. incorrectly. I've yet to come across one Japanese Restaurant in Florida where they had a Japanese sushi chef. The only one was Tama's in Neptune Beach but the owner went back to Japan few years ago. Never got to try his sushi.

Not that being Japanese is a prerequisite but it would help if these clowns at places like Kamiya 86 or <insert restaurant name here> had trained under one at some point...

Full disclosure: I'm Japanese
What do you think of all the new ramen places?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
What do you think of all the new ramen places?
I've yet to try any of the ramen places here. I'm a bit skeptical but I'll give it a shot one of these days. Have gone to a number of places that come highly recommended in NJ/NYC and all were excellent. Most of these high end/gourmet ramen places up north source their fresh noodles from a company called Sun Noodle (Sun Noodle | Fresh Ramen Noodles) and it's fantastic.

It's scary how far ramen has come in the last 20 years or so. They glorify it so much in Japan where "variety" TV shows (somewhat like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Bizzare Foods etc.) travel around the country to find the best hole in the wall ramen joints. They break down the quality of the broth, noodles, sliced pork texture etc.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Any good Thai places? We've tried few places near PVB and we were not impressed.

We'll be hitting Pho99 soon. Thanks for that tip Projectmaximus, sounds solid.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Yeah, even places in, say NYC eg, have been hit or miss for me with Ramen. As fans of David Chang we were super excited to try Momofuku and were really let down. Still the best for me (in the US) easily is out west. LA and SF have plenty of places that make their own noodle too, though that can have its own issues.

For me I care most about the noodles and broth, but sadly for places like Jax and similar areas, I judge by the egg. It's one of the simplest things so an obvious clue when a place doesn't do it right.

Pho99 isn't some crown jewel lol. It's just ok...but I like that they have decent options besides the basic Vietnamese selection. Like I said we didnt even go there for pho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or