U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,941 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving down to the Jacksonville suburbs in a few months. I wonder if there are differences between the two schools that are worth mentioning. Also if you had to choose between living in Ponte Vedra or St. John’s which would you pick? We are basing our area to live on the kids feeling comfortable in the school. Are the kids friendly? Drug problems, fighting, bullying? Engaging teachers? Challenging classes? Moderate homework? My daughter will be a junior and she is a straight A student. Both of my children want to be challenged. Does anyone have any insight? Any response would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 AM

4,921 posts, read 3,490,388 times
You are asking very broad questions about thousands and thousands of people. In every school there are friendly kids, bullies, drugs, fights, good and bad teachers.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:37 AM

1,269 posts, read 1,340,497 times
We have a 4 year old so we're not there yet but our decision to live in Ponte Vedra Beach was to be close to the beach as humanly possible while keeping schools in mind. We're zoned to Ocean Palms/Landrum/PVHS and given the high rankings they attain year over year (ie. US News World Reports), we're more than happy with the schools zoned to this area.

PVHS:
#244 in National Rankings (out of 5,951)
#24 in Florida High Schools (out of 762)

Creekside:
#317 in National Rankings (out of 5,951)
#27 in Florida High Schools (out of 762)

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings

Also, there are number of threads that point this out but you need to differentiate Ponte Vedra (aka Nocatee - 32081) versus Ponte Vedra Beach (32082). Ponte Vedra is zoned to Nease High School. Ponte Vedra Beach is zoned to PVHS.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:56 AM

374 posts, read 273,162 times
Both are great schools. You might look at specific programs offered by both schools and if those fit your kid's interests then maybe you lean toward that school. As Ivan mentioned, you might consider being closer to the beach as a plus. Both have good sports programs (my nephews both played football at PVHS) even though they are newer schools.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,941 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks for the response!

Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM

134 posts, read 219,563 times
Daisy89, my two kids went to Creekside so I don't know much about PVHS. As far as bullying and Drugs that stuff is at every school that has up to 1500 students . I can tell that my two kids never said it was obvious or even an issue but if you looked you could find it. Living might be cheaper in St Johns as opposed to PV but in my opinion both are quite nice. Both areas are very kid friendly and sports oriented. I coached youth baseball down here for 9 years and found 95% of the kids very friendly and respectful. That goes for the families as well.
Good Luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or