U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 5,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennspan View Post
Thank you for this post! We are also contemplating a move to PVB!

Coming from "Booming Boise", we were hoping to find a well-established neighborhood, that had reached its growth potential (i.e. no room for building more homes), but it seems that SJC is just as booming as where we are now! Do the neighborhoods the OP listed fit that (or below) criteria? Thanks so much for all the insightful information and questions!

Two children, 7 & 10, (an area that has a good elementary and middle school)
Ideally pet friendly
Commute not an issue
<$800k (ish)

Thanks in advance!
Hey JennSpan
I have some suggestions on well established neighborhoods that you will love. I live and work in the area and I have two kids in preschool and elementary school myself. PM me! I'm all out of PMs for today
-Eleanor R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Smile Lot of differences, depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnchrstphr987654 View Post
Hi, my name is Megan and we are a family with two kids (6,7) considering relocating to Ponte Vedra Beach area for job at Mayo. Considering the following neighborhoods. All seem within our home type, square footage and price range. (Detached single family home, about 2,500 sq ft and $400-550k) Can any one give us an insider's scoop? What do locals know about these neighborhoods/what they're known for? Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback!

Ocean’s Edge
Seaside
Odum’s Mill
Sawmill Lakes
Summerfield

Ocean’s Edge
pros: walk/bike to Mickler's
cons: close to A1A - noise?

Seaside
pros: walk/bike to Mickler's, private beach gate, not sure where?
cons: ?

Odum’s Mill
pros: walk/bike to ocean palms elementary, landrum middle, YMCA, mature trees, etc.

Sawmill Lakes
pros: ?

Summerfield
pros: ?

Hey Meghan
Not sure if you moved to the area yet but I have some tips and suggestions about these neighborhoods and have a preschooler and elementary schooler myself. I also grew up in the Jax Beaches area and am very familiar. If you still need some advice, please reach out to me over PM. I'm out of PMs for today Happy to lend you my insights!!!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,363,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor R View Post
Hey Meghan
Not sure if you moved to the area yet but I have some tips and suggestions about these neighborhoods and have a preschooler and elementary schooler myself. I also grew up in the Jax Beaches area and am very familiar. If you still need some advice, please reach out to me over PM. I'm out of PMs for today Happy to lend you my insights!!!
Why don't you share those tips and suggestions like everybody else does instead of asking folks to PM you?

Be careful soliciting. Good way to get yourself banned from CD.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Why don't you share those tips and suggestions like everybody else does instead of asking folks to PM you?

Be careful soliciting. Good way to get yourself banned from CD.

Thank you for your input, Ivan.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 AM

5,199 posts, read 3,642,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor R View Post
Thank you for your input, Ivan.
I've already reported "Eleanor" for all her veiled attempts at getting clients. You're saturating/ruining this message board, lady. Either office unsolicited advice or leave.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 AM

Looks like she's been banned...

Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 410 times
I am running out the door so I have to be brief:

Please be aware that some of these communities would be going to different elementary schools if that make a difference to you.

Ocean’s Edge
pros: walk/bike to Mickler's, gated
cons: close to A1A - noise for homes backing to A1A (small number), small community, no amenities

Seaside
pros: walk/bike to Mickler's, private beach gate, (not sure where: Next to Micker's. Doesn't really make a difference as far as I can tell), tennis, pool, boat/rv storage, sidewalks
cons: Not many larger homes as compared to Sawmill Lakes or Odom's Mill, On 2 Lane portion of A1A. So longer commute into Jax (extra 5 minutes).

Odum’s Mill
pros: walk/bike to ocean palms elementary, landrum middle, YMCA, mature trees, etc., pool, small playground, basketball
cons: Often compared to Sawmill Lakes. Not as new as Sawmill Lakes. Smaller amenity center. Palm Valley Rd can have heavy traffic during rush hour (heavy traffic for PVB but not necessarily what you would consider heavy traffic)

Sawmill Lakes
pros: junior olympic pool, ballfield, and large playground, close to boat ramp, Some of the largest homes and highest price points out of communities you named.
cons: Doesn't have large trees in front of homes like Odom's Mill but homes back to trees or lake. Only 2 builders with one builder building majority of homes. So can have cookie cutter look to some folks. Palm Valley Rd can have heavy traffic during rush hour (heavy traffic for PVB but not necessarily what you would consider heavy traffic)

Summerfield
pros: Walk to the beach, next to PVPV. Most northern community and just off A1A for easy commute to town/airport.
cons: No amenities. Smaller homes. More expensive per sqft due to location. Older homes as compared to Sawmill Lakes.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 PM

403 posts, read 442,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxHomes View Post
I am running out the door so I have to be brief:

Please be aware that some of these communities would be going to different elementary schools if that make a difference to you.

Ocean’s Edge
pros: walk/bike to Mickler's, gated
cons: close to A1A - noise for homes backing to A1A (small number), small community, no amenities

Seaside
pros: walk/bike to Mickler's, private beach gate, (not sure where: Next to Micker's. Doesn't really make a difference as far as I can tell), tennis, pool, boat/rv storage, sidewalks
cons: Not many larger homes as compared to Sawmill Lakes or Odom's Mill, On 2 Lane portion of A1A. So longer commute into Jax (extra 5 minutes).

Odum’s Mill
pros: walk/bike to ocean palms elementary, landrum middle, YMCA, mature trees, etc., pool, small playground, basketball
cons: Often compared to Sawmill Lakes. Not as new as Sawmill Lakes. Smaller amenity center. Palm Valley Rd can have heavy traffic during rush hour (heavy traffic for PVB but not necessarily what you would consider heavy traffic)

Sawmill Lakes
pros: junior olympic pool, ballfield, and large playground, close to boat ramp, Some of the largest homes and highest price points out of communities you named.
cons: Doesn't have large trees in front of homes like Odom's Mill but homes back to trees or lake. Only 2 builders with one builder building majority of homes. So can have cookie cutter look to some folks. Palm Valley Rd can have heavy traffic during rush hour (heavy traffic for PVB but not necessarily what you would consider heavy traffic)

Summerfield
pros: Walk to the beach, next to PVPV. Most northern community and just off A1A for easy commute to town/airport.
cons: No amenities. Smaller homes. More expensive per sqft due to location. Older homes as compared to Sawmill Lakes.
Of these communities, or others, which would be more geared toward retirees (younger, active, but don’t want an area primarily geared to families). We don’t need a golf community. Would like easy access to beach, some amenities like a pool would be good or at least some type of nice water views. 2500 sq ft max. Easy maintenance in a neighborhood of similarly nicely kept homes. We are considering as a second home or possibly a primary home someday.
We think PV is perfect for us based on proximity to medical care and the beaches.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
Of these communities, or others, which would be more geared toward retirees (younger, active, but don’t want an area primarily geared to families). We don’t need a golf community. Would like easy access to beach, some amenities like a pool would be good or at least some type of nice water views. 2500 sq ft max. Easy maintenance in a neighborhood of similarly nicely kept homes. We are considering as a second home or possibly a primary home someday.
We think PV is perfect for us based on proximity to medical care and the beaches.
Price points for the places listed above tend to attract younger families so I wouldn't consider any of those places to be geared toward retirees (though homes in Sawmill Lakes and Odom's are now regularly selling between $500k to $700k which isn't exactly cheap).

Sawgrass CC and The Plantation have an older demographic but since you have no interest in golf, I would recommend Sawgrass CC (east of A1A) where you can purchase a home there but don't need to be a country club member. HOA in Sawgrass is ~ $150/month. Plantation has a $45k initiation fee plus monthly HOA/dues of $1,000 to $1,200. You also have the best chance of maintaining home value within Sawgrass CC due to its proximity to the beach and the flexibility to join/not join the country club.

If you want a true 55+ community, you may want to take a look at Del Webb in Nocatee. The downside is you're over the ditch (ie. Intercoastal) and a little further away from the beach and Mayo clinic.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:41 PM

403 posts, read 442,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Price points for the places listed above tend to attract younger families so I wouldn't consider any of those places to be geared toward retirees (though homes in Sawmill Lakes and Odom's are now regularly selling between $500k to $700k which isn't exactly cheap).

Sawgrass CC and The Plantation have an older demographic but since you have no interest in golf, I would recommend Sawgrass CC (east of A1A) where you can purchase a home there but don't need to be a country club member. HOA in Sawgrass is ~ $150/month. Plantation has a $45k initiation fee plus monthly HOA/dues of $1,000 to $1,200. You also have the best chance of maintaining home value within Sawgrass CC due to its proximity to the beach and the flexibility to join/not join the country club.

If you want a true 55+ community, you may want to take a look at Del Webb in Nocatee. The downside is you're over the ditch (ie. Intercoastal) and a little further away from the beach and Mayo clinic.
That helps a lot. Thanks! Sounds like the Plantation would definitely be out of our price range. But will look further into Sawgrass CC. We know some people who live in TPC at Sawgrass and seem to be happy there.
We don't necessarily need to be in an over 55 place (although it might be worth a look). Just prefer not to be in a neighborhood with mainly families, since our kids are all grown and on their own.

We are waiting until some time after the tournament at TPC to head down and take a look. See what it might be like to live there compared to Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville