U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 PM

45 posts, read 57,411 times

Advertisements

Guys, I hope someone can help me avoid the long line at Duval County Tax Collector's office to ask about my situation. I bet many of you have also dealt with this and what I'm finding online is really confusing.

It's been a year since moving to Jacksonville from out of state and my one car's tag expires on 7/23/2018, 3 days before we finally close on a house in St. John's county. There is a 2 week grace period on the renewal bill from what I can tell.

1. Do I need to re-register the cars in St. John's? What is the process?
2. Can any of this be done online or is this pretty much a brand new registration with all the fees that come with it and I need to go to an office?
3. Three days after closing on my home I need to leave town for 2 weeks for work which will render my vehicle unregistered in Duval and liable for the $15 penalty. Are there any other consequences?
4. Is it safe to assume that I can't register before closing because at that time I won't have any bills or proof of domicile at the new address?
5. Can I renew in Duval to buy myself a year? If I do this in the middle of the year (which would be my case for my wife's car), do I just lose half of the registration fee for the year?

So all in all, how does this work? The state I come from doesn't care about which county you live in so I've never dealt with this and the info available online is not helpful at all. Thank you all so much! Who knew that the most confusing part of buying a house in FL for me would be registering my cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Maybe I asked too many question and I got too specific. So I'll simplify my question:

Does anyone know if when you move from Duval to St John's (or between any 2 counties in FL) you need to re-register your car with the new county(new plate, new paperwork, new fees) OR just file a renewal online (on gorenew.com) and update your address?

I have tried to find a clear explanation and have been unable to. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 AM

23 posts, read 16,531 times
I don’t know the answers, but if you want to avoid lines you can schedule an appointment online for the dmv to minimize your wait. When you go in they have a list of appointments and they call your number fairly quickly.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:09 PM

26 posts, read 22,068 times
We moved from Clay county into Duval county. I did not renew until it was time. There were no additional fees for the new county. We was not aware you had to renew when moving to a different county if that is the case. I would think you can just renew with the address change.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:12 PM

518 posts, read 561,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
We moved from Clay county into Duval county. I did not renew until it was time. There were no additional fees for the new county. We was not aware you had to renew when moving to a different county if that is the case. I would think you can just renew with the address change.

This is correct. No additional fees for change of county. Just the regular yearly renewal fee.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 PM

518 posts, read 561,797 times
Also, I would go ahead and renew your tag now in your current county and get that out of the way. Then when you move you just need to update your drivers license with your new address. You can have them update the address on the registration at that time.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,659,324 times
You can register your car in any county statewide, no matter which county you live in.

When I lived in Volusia County, my plate was set to expire. I was in Leon county for the day and had some time to kill, so I got my new plate there, no problem.

I knew plenty of folks in Ormond Beach growing up (Volusia Co) who regularly went to Bunnell (Flagler Co) to update their tags to avoid the long lines in Daytona or DeLand. Now with all of the growth in Flagler Co I bet the lines are just as long there.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech13579 View Post
Guys, I hope someone can help me avoid the long line at Duval County Tax Collector's office to ask about my situation. I bet many of you have also dealt with this and what I'm finding online is really confusing.

It's been a year since moving to Jacksonville from out of state and my one car's tag expires on 7/23/2018, 3 days before we finally close on a house in St. John's county. There is a 2 week grace period on the renewal bill from what I can tell.

1. Do I need to re-register the cars in St. John's? What is the process?
2. Can any of this be done online or is this pretty much a brand new registration with all the fees that come with it and I need to go to an office?
3. Three days after closing on my home I need to leave town for 2 weeks for work which will render my vehicle unregistered in Duval and liable for the $15 penalty. Are there any other consequences?
4. Is it safe to assume that I can't register before closing because at that time I won't have any bills or proof of domicile at the new address?
5. Can I renew in Duval to buy myself a year? If I do this in the middle of the year (which would be my case for my wife's car), do I just lose half of the registration fee for the year?

So all in all, how does this work? The state I come from doesn't care about which county you live in so I've never dealt with this and the info available online is not helpful at all. Thank you all so much! Who knew that the most confusing part of buying a house in FL for me would be registering my cars
1. No . When you register a car you are registering it for the state not a county. You do need to show proof you live here even when renewing. I would just renew the registration and tags early where you are now.

You would eventually need to change your address though which probably can be done on line or when you renew again the next year. They will have the wrong address so be sure to do an address change with post office. You will need to do a change of address for your Florida driver's license once you move, too.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Thank you all so much. This clarifies my situation. I will renew now, while I am still in Duval for 3 weeks. After I move and get a few bills to have proof of my new address I'll go to St John's TC office and get a new DL with an update address and also change the address on my registration at that time. I cannot thank you all enough. Now I just need to explain this to the person who scared me with the whole re-registation thing so he doesn't scare others in the future as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or