Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 5,436 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was looking for information regarding the Ponte Vedra and Nocatee areas. I am originally from NYC and currently live in Miami. I'm looking to move North because of the weather, the people and I am a bit tired of just palm trees. I am a single mother with a 12 year old son and a daughter who is leaving to FSU in the fall. I've been researching the areas but could really use some help. I registered so that I can ask for help and continue to read anything that's been posted. I've read St. John's county does have the betters schools. Could anyone tell me if soccer is a big sport in the area? My son loves soccer and he would be heart broken without it. Are there any areas that I should keep away from as far as safety is concerned? I would really love to hear about the restaurants/cafe's in the area as well. I'm looking for a community feel with children so that my son can make some new friends. I want to enjoy a lot of outdoor activities. I'm in my 50's so I'm hoping there will be some entertainment for myself as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I see some of the postings read are from last year, don't know if anything has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 06:25 AM

662 posts, read 868,220 times
I have heard that the closest soccer program isn't that great but I have friends just west of Nocatee (Durbin Crossing which is also in St Johns County) and their kids are big into Soccer. I think it is a travel league and well run. There is plenty of soccer going on that you could get your kid into. Nocatee itself is limited with dining options but has a little something for everyone. A short drive expands the choices drastically. The schools are great and a new K-8 opening this year so whether your kid went there or not, it means less crowding for other nearby schools. There are tons of kids and plenty of people from NY (and other places). I'm a local and I am always surprised when i meet other locals in Nocatee. As for entertainment IN Nocatee you are limited to either neighborly gatherings (plenty of drinking going on) or events organized for the community like Holiday things, concerts, karaoke, food truck Friday etc...If that's not your thing you have to venture out of the bubble.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:52 PM

110 posts, read 146,572 times
Look into Durbin and Julington Creek - you will get a great deal on a resale home with great schools because all the brand new builds in Nocatee and off 210 are "dinging" resales a bit for other areas - for example I know of an amazing home in JCP for mid-500s with a big yard, gorgeous pool and great upgrades - the same home in Nocatee would be over 600 and in PVB would be over 700....Julington is really nice too because it is just old enough that you can see how people have maintained over the years where as a brand new neighborhood always looks shiny and pretty but there is no telling if people over bought their budget until a few years pass and paint starts to fade but no one has $10k to paint and landscape.....just a thought, but in all fairness I have never been a new home buyer bc i think you get more for your money in a "used" house. :-) We just had friends move to Julington and so far they are really happy. Also, people seem so friendly there! Not clique-y or nosey, just real neighborly. My friend had several plates of cookies brought over by neighbors when they moved in - that was a great old fashioned "welcome" feel!

Old 07-12-2018, 05:28 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2PVB View Post
Look into Durbin and Julington Creek - you will get a great deal on a resale home with great schools because all the brand new builds in Nocatee and off 210 are "dinging" resales a bit for other areas - for example I know of an amazing home in JCP for mid-500s with a big yard, gorgeous pool and great upgrades - the same home in Nocatee would be over 600 and in PVB would be over 700....Julington is really nice too because it is just old enough that you can see how people have maintained over the years where as a brand new neighborhood always looks shiny and pretty but there is no telling if people over bought their budget until a few years pass and paint starts to fade but no one has $10k to paint and landscape.....just a thought, but in all fairness I have never been a new home buyer bc i think you get more for your money in a "used" house. :-) We just had friends move to Julington and so far they are really happy. Also, people seem so friendly there! Not clique-y or nosey, just real neighborly. My friend had several plates of cookies brought over by neighbors when they moved in - that was a great old fashioned "welcome" feel!
This is sound advice. I think people who are unfamiliar with our area see that Nocatee homes state "10 mins to the beach!!!" and get excited. Why that may be true to a extent, the closest beach is Mickler's Beach, which in my opinion is the very worst beach in our area. Too crowded, very limited parking, the actual beach itself is full of shells/rocks and is not very wide. If you look at homes on the west side of I95, which in reality is only another 10 minutes in your car, you'll get more home and more yard with just as good of schools (if not better) for much less than you'll pay at Nocatee.

No doubt Nocatee has some of the best amenities out there - their lazy river, pools and gym are amazing - I just couldn't justify those higher prices when we were looking in that area. When it's fully built out (15 more years???) I imagine with the lack of roads going towards the Beaches, it will be a real nightmare going in and out of the Palm Valley area unless someone widens some of those 2-lane roads.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:41 PM

48 posts, read 139,815 times
A lot of the competing developments(shearwater, markland, trailmark to name a few newer ones) have pools just as nice and about 1/4 of the crowding as Nocatee. Agree Micklers is the worst so dont move here for test unless you plan to join a private beach club for access.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,436 times
Thank you so much for your replies. They have been very helpful.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:07 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
I hope you like crowded schools with 30 in a class and assistant teachers

Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I hope you like crowded schools with 30 in a class and assistant teachers
This is the unfortunate reality of nearly every NW SJ Co K-8 school. Even with more being built they still cannot keep up with the growth.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
This is why I do not recommend the schools here. My daughter is an ex SJC teacher now in Sarasota County where she is paid 15% more better conditions and if the numbers are over 25 they do not add an associate they add another class although they use a mobile

Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM

They use mobiles here too, and *still* need to add extra teachers. When we attended the kindergarten orientation at Patriot Oaks, the entire cafeteria was overflowing with people. I had assumed it was the entire school in there.....nope! Just K kids/parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville