U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:33 AM

320 posts, read 270,734 times

Advertisements

We took a drive up from down south / the Jensen Beach area.. just to look around the St Johns Town center area to look at some Condos.. Its a nice new area there. but...

then we drove down to Jacksonville Beach area... seems like there's a ton a college brats running around everywhere.. I'm not sure if these are tourists or just the general population..

Then as we were sitting in our car resting a bit in a parking lot.. I noticed this a guy walking up the street.. he said something rude to two bikers as they drove past him for no apparent reason.. then as he passes our car he starts harassing us and spits at our car... I just stared at him as he walked passed...….

I've never experienced anything like this down here... actually I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that anywhere before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,365,267 times
Sounds like an isolated incident. I've never had that kind of an experience in Jax Beach or anywhere else around here but I'm not surprised. There are some homeless folks with mental/drinking issues that hang around the pier/Beach Blvd area and they can get aggressive at times. What part of Jax Beach was this?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,651,758 times
Lots of tourists, drunks mixed in with some homeless (who are typically not mentally stable) at Jax Beach at any given time. I wouldn't say it's never that way, but I think you may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. As with just about anywhere, the later in the evening you visit the worse it will be.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:14 AM

24,657 posts, read 35,083,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00p View Post
We took a drive up from down south / the Jensen Beach area.. just to look around the St Johns Town center area to look at some Condos.. Its a nice new area there. but...

then we drove down to Jacksonville Beach area... seems like there's a ton a college brats running around everywhere.. I'm not sure if these are tourists or just the general population..

Then as we were sitting in our car resting a bit in a parking lot.. I noticed this a guy walking up the street.. he said something rude to two bikers as they drove past him for no apparent reason.. then as he passes our car he starts harassing us and spits at our car... I just stared at him as he walked passed...….

I've never experienced anything like this down here... actually I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that anywhere before.
Don’t know. Mind you I’m a tourist from a rude place myself (DC) but when I was down there at the beach a few weeks ago everyone was pretty nice.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 PM

384 posts, read 354,815 times
This sounds like an isolated incident as I have been to jax beach many times with no issue. It is Florida though and as the saying goes all the nuts tend to roll down hill. So florida and especially beach communities tend to acquire some drifters and grifters, some people with mental issues and self medicaters. There is a guy here on Amelia island that rides his bike through town screaming obscenities. He has some type of turrets I think. Very scary first time you encounter him. When I walked by with my wife he said " I can smell her P***. Ok that is not something you want to encounter as a tourist. Now that I live here I see he is always riding around saying this type of thing or screaming about something. Apparently he is harmless. Just mentally mis-firing. Now I don't give it a second thought. So some weirdness is to be expected in FLA.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:00 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,488,532 times
Jax Beach is going down the tubes. Just had a shooting there a week or two ago where the guy died. Started from a bar brawl.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 AM

318 posts, read 371,043 times
Quote:

St. Johns Town Center area reminds me of the area I moved here from. I came from the Washington DC Metro area. I too find that "area" to be extremely rude and big city. No way would I move to the area by St. Johns Town Center. Take a look at Mandarin or other areas in Southside, away from that drama and mess of Town Center. UGH.

Jacksonville Beach - reminder - you are here in the summer time, the kiddies are out and about in annoyingly large numbers. Jacksonville Beach I found to be pretty nice basically, but I have not been up there in the summer. If you watch the local news for Jacksonville, there have been a few incidents in JAX beach in the evenings, etc. But again, it is summer and the kiddies are out to get into trouble.

As for that guy who spit at you. Ummmm there are crazy homeless peeps and just plain crazy mean rude druggies in EVERY city in the US.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:54 AM

320 posts, read 270,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
What part of Jax Beach was this?
I don't know.. the main road along the shore line.

then this other guy was asking me for gas money at a gas station.

big cities suck

Last edited by k00p; 07-06-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 01:08 PM

5,197 posts, read 3,651,758 times
Quote:
I don't know.. the main road along the shore line.

then this other guy was asking me for gas money at a gas station.

big cities suck
Hate to break this to you but rude and/or crazy people exist everywhere.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:29 PM

24,657 posts, read 35,083,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
St. Johns Town Center area reminds me of the area I moved here from. I came from the Washington DC Metro area. I too find that "area" to be extremely rude and big city. No way would I move to the area by St. Johns Town Center. Take a look at Mandarin or other areas in Southside, away from that drama and mess of Town Center. UGH.

Jacksonville Beach - reminder - you are here in the summer time, the kiddies are out and about in annoyingly large numbers. Jacksonville Beach I found to be pretty nice basically, but I have not been up there in the summer. If you watch the local news for Jacksonville, there have been a few incidents in JAX beach in the evenings, etc. But again, it is summer and the kiddies are out to get into trouble.

As for that guy who spit at you. Ummmm there are crazy homeless peeps and just plain crazy mean rude druggies in EVERY city in the US.
Glad I’m not the only one who made that observation. Unfortunately I’m still here in the “real” mess. I’d chalk OPs experience and other incidents to tourist season in any city with an beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville