U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 5,324 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the cons of living in st Johns county. We live in Coral Gables in Miami. It's a desired area but terrible public schools past elementary. We like temperate climate better than Miami and better schools. We are already use to rude people and traffic. My main reasoning for moving to the area is schools and family environment.

What should I know about the St Johns area? and what areas are more established? Won't be overbuilt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 07:23 PM

I'll clarify that our biggest worry is overbuilt neighborhoods. Which are the more established areas of St Johns with good schools?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 AM

376 posts, read 274,764 times
What is your budget and besides avoiding overbuilt areas, what do you enjoy doing?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:52 AM

4,973 posts, read 3,511,313 times
Cons for SJ County:

-roads/infrastructure lagging behind growth
-traffic is increasing (although still not bad, imho)
-schools becoming overcrowded
-lack of shopping/dining in the NW portion of county (although Durbin Park will help)
-many green/preserve areas being developed into neighborhoods now

I don't have many bad things to say about SJC, but this is what I could come up with.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 AM

14 posts, read 9,130 times
Your cons are spot on. We just moved up from the Treasure Coast. All in all, we have found it to be a wonderful move and an incredible area to live. Really nice people. And St augustine beaches are gorgeous!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 9,130 times
Check out Cimarrone by the way. It an established gated community and very pretty

Old 07-09-2018, 05:59 PM

858 posts, read 1,890,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgirldowntofl View Post
Your cons are spot on. We just moved up from the Treasure Coast. All in all, we have found it to be a wonderful move and an incredible area to live. Really nice people. And St augustine beaches are gorgeous!
Could you further elaborate on the differences good and bad of SJC versus the Treasure Coast?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 PM

110 posts, read 87,649 times
Depends on your budget and what you are looking for. From The ICW west to almost the river in north St. Johns, there is a ton of building! East of the ICW is Ponte Vedra beach which is gorgeous and a great area for families, but the pricing is not for everyone. For example, 4 bedroom homes range from $500k (smaller/no pool) to a few million depending on where you are.

Other great areas of SJC are Julington and the Bartram Plantation/Greenbrier neighborhoods - they are older and already built out. It is really what lies between the two areas where all the massive building is going on.

Another favorite of mine is Palencia - not over sized but with the new Publix and shipping conveniences right near the entrance at Rte 1, the community is definitely a great place to raise kids.

Ponte Vedra Beach and Bartram Plantation will not have CDDs but Palencia, Julington and a few other established neighborhoods will, like St. Johns Golf. If your family will use the amenities, it is worth it, but find out how much they are because CDDs vary a lot.

Overall I love living here and all of the areas I mention are beautiful communities with lots of choices for housing. Great schools too.

Best of luck and message me if you want any specific info on what to avoid for over building. ;-)

Old 07-15-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
What is your budget and besides avoiding overbuilt areas, what do you enjoy doing?

Budget is $500-$700k. We like hiking, apple picking, picnics, middle America type things.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:57 AM

4,973 posts, read 3,511,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2020 View Post
Budget is $500-$700k. We like hiking, apple picking, picnics, middle America type things.
With that budget I'd recommend Ponte Vedra Beach or possibly St Augustine Beach. Although for $700K you *could* live like a king west of I95, so it depends on what you're looking for. For $700K you would have one of the biggest/nicest houses and lots in many neighborhoods around NW SJ Co. A good realtor will highlight the differences for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or