U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 PM

194 posts, read 151,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2020 View Post
I don't think so, but I can be wrong. but either way, there's the phone customer service jobs too.

I think the suggestion of loss prevention is also a good suggestion and with an AA might get salary more than what you make currently. Macy's, Dillard's
Yes, thought about that too. I also thought about applying to TSA. You guys have any more ideas just out of curiousity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 03:53 AM

320 posts, read 266,233 times
Live in your car for a year and save all the $$$...

Buy a cheap used mini van...

Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00p View Post
Live in your car for a year and save all the $$$...

Buy a cheap used mini van...
Well that's my other big problem. I bought a car when I first got back to Jax (cash money) for 2, 500. Since that time, I have put 7 grand in repairs on that lemon. I own it outright and could easily trade it but my credit is awful, the kelly blue book price on the car is very low as well. The one thing is that I have been with my current company for two years so if I went to buy a new car, that's the only Ace up my sleeve.

For now the car is running fine, but the car generally needs an expensive repair every 1.5 to 2 months. The car is a money pit. I have not had a problem with it in two months now but the car is a roll of the dice.

So I am not sure if I should just work a grueling 80 hour week first and get a better car or ride this car out because lately the car repairs haven't been AS expensive. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place

Old 07-08-2018, 09:05 AM

320 posts, read 266,233 times
so live in the Lemon and make Lemonade later ;o)

just park and sleep in the Walmart parking lot.. they're open all night I think.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,491,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
I completed my A.A. degree at FSCJ in person. The Bachelor's I was working on at FSCJ was all online. So would I need a Bachelor's to work at the office?
No. It’s only required for postal inspectors and certain jobs in IT or logistics.

To become a full-time supervisor you take a test that you would easily pass.

There is a site that makes it sound like you have to have a 4 year degree or do an internship, but that is only for jobs that you could move up to later if you chose to.

For basic jobs like letter carrier, clerk etc you just need a GED.

Some kind of Homeland Security thing would be good too.

If you get into the post office, for example, you can slide over to another fed job once you get the qualifications.

I know people who have left the PO to become air traffic controllers, postal inspectors, FBI, CIA, National Park rangers, etc. without losing their pensions and benefits, of course.

I was wondering if Amazon might have something for you .

In any case, avoid the scam sites that sell “learning materials for post office exam” or that charge you to apply.

You don’t have to pay a thing to apply. I’m not even sure if there’s still an entrance test. They keep changing that; it’s nothing you can study for anyway.

UPS has a big center up your way. They should be getting a decent raise soon as the new tentative contract seems agreeable to both sides. And they are hiring because they will be following the post office into Sunday Amazon delivery.

You might not want to stay in any if these jobs forever. Just save your money, don’t get caught up in the negativity and keep looking ahead.

The negativity comes in when you make these jobs a lifestyle, rather than focusing on them as a means to an end.

Oh, UPS has learn-and-earn. You are eligible from the day you are hired. You have the same pay and benefits as anyone else.

I think right now by you they just have part time at the two hubs. All forecasts say that will change soon, and definitely in a few months with the busy season.

And they’ll pay for your 4 year degree!

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-08-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 04:22 PM

384 posts, read 348,604 times
I don't understand this. If I add up all your experience it is 17 years. Are you saying you have worked 17 years, gone through some schooling and now are working as a security guard for $10hr? I am not condemning you for working hard but you have put a lot of time in. Are you getting tips or something? 20K a year is not enough to live on and unless you simply love what your doing or see a real path way to a greater income in your field, I suggest you radically alter course. I live on Amelia Island half the year and the McDonalds has a sign out saying they start at $9hr there are help wanted signs out all over the island. I know bartenders making 50K. Hell, start your own business and wash windows at $20hr then you get to write off your car and all kinds of stuff. Yeah your getting screwed. Half the year I live in Vermont. Same thing, signs out people looking for help. Aldis in town will give you $13.50 to stock shelves, $17.00hr shift manger. $24.50 assistant manager. There is nothing but 20 year old young girls in there. My son works picking orders at a warehouse. No experience required made 52k last year. You can literally walk in to the temp agency here and you will have a $12.50hr job as many hours as you want. Watching bread bake. Yeah, you need to reevaluate. As much as I hate Trump this is the best economy in a long long time, you best strike while the iron is hot get out of that job. Start looking for something that pays. Work hard, become relevant demand what you are worth. It will come.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM

5,867 posts, read 4,078,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Backstory:

I am in a bad situation. I am living in Jacksonville, Florida now with my brother, my mom, and her S.O. My mom's S.O. is a pill to swallow and I hate things at her house. We do not get along well.

I have the following credentials...

-An A.A. degree from Fscj.
-All but 18 credits in a B.S. degree in Public Safety Management from FSCJ (but they messed up my financial aid and said I had one more semester of Financial Aid in the Spring (when I did not and that really hurt me badly)
-3 years sales experience.
-1 year of sales management experience.
-8 years of customer service experience.
-1 year of experience as an administrative assistant in an office.
-4 years experience as a security guard.

I get a lot of overtime as of late and am a security guard. However, I am just not making enough money because the job doesn't pay very well. Plus, the overtime comes and goes and is not consistent.

Any current advice about how to come up and make more money here would be most appreciated.
You want to get away from the "S.O." and you want more money. Easy. Get a job driving a truck. Every truck on the highway has a "Help Wanted" sign on the back. Almost all of them offer full benefits. Here's one.

https://careers.swifttrans.com/drive...180708234913:s

Old 07-08-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00p View Post
so live in the Lemon and make Lemonade later ;o)

just park and sleep in the Walmart parking lot.. they're open all night I think.
Yeah I am not going to do that. If the car breaks down, that is a fast track to homelessness.This seems like a very poor option

Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
No. It’s only required for postal inspectors and certain jobs in IT or logistics.

To become a full-time supervisor you take a test that you would easily pass.

There is a site that makes it sound like you have to have a 4 year degree or do an internship, but that is only for jobs that you could move up to later if you chose to.

For basic jobs like letter carrier, clerk etc you just need a GED.

Some kind of Homeland Security thing would be good too.

If you get into the post office, for example, you can slide over to another fed job once you get the qualifications.

I know people who have left the PO to become air traffic controllers, postal inspectors, FBI, CIA, National Park rangers, etc. without losing their pensions and benefits, of course.

I was wondering if Amazon might have something for you .

In any case, avoid the scam sites that sell “learning materials for post office exam” or that charge you to apply.

You don’t have to pay a thing to apply. I’m not even sure if there’s still an entrance test. They keep changing that; it’s nothing you can study for anyway.

UPS has a big center up your way. They should be getting a decent raise soon as the new tentative contract seems agreeable to both sides. And they are hiring because they will be following the post office into Sunday Amazon delivery.

You might not want to stay in any if these jobs forever. Just save your money, don’t get caught up in the negativity and keep looking ahead.

The negativity comes in when you make these jobs a lifestyle, rather than focusing on them as a means to an end.

Oh, UPS has learn-and-earn. You are eligible from the day you are hired. You have the same pay and benefits as anyone else.

I think right now by you they just have part time at the two hubs. All forecasts say that will change soon, and definitely in a few months with the busy season.

And they’ll pay for your 4 year degree!
1) How do I apply to work at the post office?

2) Yes, Homeland seems like a good idea given my experience and degrees. Especially a job with like TSA or something.

3) Yes I might give Amazon a shot too given that I heard that they pay like $12-13 an hour.

4) I apologize if this post comes off as depressing. It's just that I am quite good at building a resume and quite decent at interviews. It seems like I always make it to the very last interview and then BOOM someone walks in with more experience/ more education than me and I miss out. It seems like the job market is socially darwinistic these days.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I don't understand this. If I add up all your experience it is 17 years. Are you saying you have worked 17 years, gone through some schooling and now are working as a security guard for $10hr? I am not condemning you for working hard but you have put a lot of time in. Are you getting tips or something? 20K a year is not enough to live on and unless you simply love what your doing or see a real path way to a greater income in your field, I suggest you radically alter course. I live on Amelia Island half the year and the McDonalds has a sign out saying they start at $9hr there are help wanted signs out all over the island. I know bartenders making 50K. Hell, start your own business and wash windows at $20hr then you get to write off your car and all kinds of stuff. Yeah your getting screwed. Half the year I live in Vermont. Same thing, signs out people looking for help. Aldis in town will give you $13.50 to stock shelves, $17.00hr shift manger. $24.50 assistant manager. There is nothing but 20 year old young girls in there. My son works picking orders at a warehouse. No experience required made 52k last year. You can literally walk in to the temp agency here and you will have a $12.50hr job as many hours as you want. Watching bread bake. Yeah, you need to reevaluate. As much as I hate Trump this is the best economy in a long long time, you best strike while the iron is hot get out of that job. Start looking for something that pays. Work hard, become relevant demand what you are worth. It will come.
No I have not worked 17 years, more like 10 years. A lot of jobs I worked combined customer service and sales or customer service, and security. For instance when I was an admin assistant I did sales, worked with Microsoft office Word, Excel, and Powerpoint and worked in customer service. Also, when I worked at Queens Harbor as a security gate guard, I did both customer service and security. So many of the jobs I am combining skills.

Also you are the second person to suggest Aldi's and even Trader Joe's to me. I heard that they pay much better and with my previous experience, I could make manager fast. These are very good ideas.

Also, your ideas about the Temp Agencies could work quite well also. Bottom line, I am getting low-balled big time and it's time to upgrade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or