U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 AM

52 posts, read 59,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post

SO MY QUESTION IS: Do you think it would even be worth it to apply to such a position given the fact that the businesses almost always want an attractive, young woman, to fill these positions?

At least initially I think you should prioritize your job search based on which positions you believe in more. If you already feel the deck is stacked against you with admin asst because they’re looking for a different type of person then you may want to pursue the jobs that make you feel more confident. There’s plenty of jobs where I’m sure they’re looking for someone just like you. You sounded confident when you spoke of some of the other jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM

193 posts, read 150,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
No, probably not worth it to apply for telemarketing, under the circumstances, and definitely not if you hate the phones.

I don't know how Costco manages their personnel. Best thing to do is put your question into google search engine and see what comes up.
I don't know either. Although I do know a woman that works as a stalker at Trader Joe's and has for 6 months but she gets 40 hours a week. I think it may depend on the store

Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,479,284 times
I have a 62 year old female friend who has been getting 50-60 hours at Costco. Can’t say if that will happen for you, of course.

She gets teased about her retirement, for sure!

There’s a forum for UPS workers called browncafe.com. Name cracks me up. Perhaps Costco has similar.
The post office has 2 I think.

If you did part time at UPS/Costco I think you’d do really well. Do t know if that schedule is possible I your location. I just know it’s been done here.

How can I get a job as a stalker? Just kidding. It’s a cute blooper.

Anyway, maybe throw yourself out there and see what bites?

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-10-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
At least initially I think you should prioritize your job search based on which positions you believe in more. If you already feel the deck is stacked against you with admin asst because they’re looking for a different type of person then you may want to pursue the jobs that make you feel more confident. There’s plenty of jobs where I’m sure they’re looking for someone just like you. You sounded confident when you spoke of some of the other jobs.
Well I think I would be good as an Admin Assistant and have had some hits in the past but not very many. However it has happened, and they were ready to hire me but that was after applying for probably 150 admin assistant jobs. They were going to pay me $15 an hour but I had no car. I now have a car though. So it's possible that I could get an admin assistant job, they are just kind of hard to come by because they are mostly looking for young, attractive women

Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I have a 62 year old female friend who has been getting 50-60 hours at Costco. Can’t say if that will happen for you, of course.

She gets teased about her retirement, for sure!
Is she just a normal employee or is she a manager?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,479,284 times
She just “normal”. They move her around to different departments. She’s been there 2 years as she retired from a government job.

They did offer her management but she said no.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
She just “normal”. They move her around to different departments. She’s been there 2 years as she retired from a government job.

They did offer her management but she said no.
Well I will definitely look into that then

Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 PM

UPDATE:

So I went on this job interview with a competing security company yesterday. They offered me the salary of 12.50 an hour unarmed (which is really good for unarmed security). However here is the thing; They basically want me on-call 24/7. Yes, according to them, I have to be available anytime. Now I usually will put available anytime on a resume for a new job, because I am literally willing to work any hours they want. However, most jobs will at least give you a set work schedule. For instance, mine right now is Saturday-Wednesday, with a set Thursday and Friday off. Also, I do fill in quite often for over-time hours that are on my off-days, but they are by choice, not mandatory.

The problem is that with this job, they want me to be available any day of the week, at practically any time. To tell the truth, in this hard economy, I think that I will be needing to make more than just 12.50 an hour to make it, and would need to get a second job or at least work like a day a week extra at Amazon or something. So I really don't know whether to take the job or not, and the offer is still on the table. I'm thinking no because it's not enough, but what would be you people's advice? Would I be making the right decision not taking the job or not? Not to sound negative but I've been low-balled so often with so many job offers, that I don't even know what fair pay is anymore because it seems like everyone is taking two-steps back from what they should be getting paid in this economy.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 8,751,577 times
Quote:
Backstory:

I am in a bad situation. I am living in Jacksonville, Florida now with my brother, my mom, and her S.O. My mom's S.O. is a pill to swallow and I hate things at her house. We do not get along well.

I have the following credentials...

-An A.A. degree from Fscj.
-All but 18 credits in a B.S. degree in Public Safety Management from FSCJ (but they messed up my financial aid and said I had one more semester of Financial Aid in the Spring (when I did not and that really hurt me badly)
-3 years sales experience.
-1 year of sales management experience.
-8 years of customer service experience.
-1 year of experience as an administrative assistant in an office.
-4 years experience as a security guard.

I get a lot of overtime as of late and am a security guard. However, I am just not making enough money because the job doesn't pay very well. Plus, the overtime comes and goes and is not consistent.

Any current advice about how to come up and make more money here would be most appreciated.
What are you spending all the money you earn on, that's how to get out of poverty, save keep your credit scores up, pay your bills and buy a small inexpensive home, you don't live in a very expensive part of the country. Buy a home where you mortgage is less than it costs to rent a one bedroom apartment, work hard pay it off with extra principal payments and then all you will owe are taxes and insurance. That's how to get out of poverty.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM

5,637 posts, read 5,477,145 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

So I went on this job interview with a competing security company yesterday. They offered me the salary of 12.50 an hour unarmed (which is really good for unarmed security). However here is the thing; They basically want me on-call 24/7. Yes, according to them, I have to be available anytime. Now I usually will put available anytime on a resume for a new job, because I am literally willing to work any hours they want. However, most jobs will at least give you a set work schedule. For instance, mine right now is Saturday-Wednesday, with a set Thursday and Friday off. Also, I do fill in quite often for over-time hours that are on my off-days, but they are by choice, not mandatory.

The problem is that with this job, they want me to be available any day of the week, at practically any time. To tell the truth, in this hard economy, I think that I will be needing to make more than just 12.50 an hour to make it, and would need to get a second job or at least work like a day a week extra at Amazon or something. So I really don't know whether to take the job or not, and the offer is still on the table. I'm thinking no because it's not enough, but what would be you people's advice? Would I be making the right decision not taking the job or not? Not to sound negative but I've been low-balled so often with so many job offers, that I don't even know what fair pay is anymore because it seems like everyone is taking two-steps back from what they should be getting paid in this economy.
Vinny, first of all, well done on getting an interview and an offer. However, if it was me, I'd turn it down. If they want you on call 24/7, then they're basically offering you 52 cents an hour. That's ridiculous. Slavery, actually, except they don't take care of your room and board.

Take a win on getting an interview and an offer, and keep on looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or