Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,389,602 times

Advertisements

Exactly. It’s great that others will be helped by this thread, thanks to Vinny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 PM

195 posts, read 212,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Base pay of $10.00 an hour? Wow, that is some major BS right there. You're way better than that. Listen, a friend of mine who sells stuff on line (Ebay, Amazon, other places) wanted to become better at it, so he started watching YouTube videos about selling on line and with the information he got, he increased his pay by 3 times. It took a little while, but he did it. I'm not suggesting you sell stuff on line, but I am suggesting you go to YouTube and just enter some key words into their search engine about your industry and see what kind of videos come up. You know, stuff like "how to make money in security" or whatever. You are working way below your pay grade. Also see if you can place your resume with a recruiter or on Linked-In, or Indeed.com (job search engine). Find out what companies do special events, concerts, etc. in Jax and contact them. Also contact the Jax Jaguars organization. You have a track record. They should be happy to have you.

Here's a little inspirational article to help you:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-how-step-step

Even though this is an entrepreneurial boot camp for kids, it's for adults as well and may give you some ideas you can apply to your life. I haven't watched it yet myself, but I'm going to:
Entrepreneurship for kids – join – Bootcamp Live

You need some confidence, a good shot in the arm. Don't be afraid to go for management positions, too. A lot of managers these days in all sorts of fields of work are real boneheads. You probably could do a better job.
I worked did security for the Jacksonville, Jaguars for 2 years. There are two companies that do security there: Safe Management and Centurion. I worked for, "Safe Management", and worked for that company for so long and was so trusted that I eventually earned my way up to, "Field Officer". What that means is that I was so trusted within the company that I was one of the 25 or 30 security officers out of about 1000 at those games that was allowed to actually be on the field with the players and the cheerleaders.

This is a very big deal because the last company that was contracted to do security for the Jaguars screwed up big time and let someone run onto the field on live TV and made the company look bad. In fact, it made the company look so bad that that entire company got fired because about 3 security guards that were failing to do there job. So if you got promoted to that position, you were something special.

The crappy part is that it only paid about $11 an hour and you didn't get a penny more for being on the field, you just got an "Attaboy" and that was about it.

Quote:
Vinny, do you have business cards? I think you can get free ones at Vistaprint. Just put "free business cards" into google and see what comes up. Get some of those. Make it real simple, just put something like "Vinny Lugo Private Security" and then your phone # and email. Give them out to everyone you meet. If nothing else, maybe you'll make some new friends in the area, which could lead to a better living situation.

Also, here on City Data, there's a forum called Work and Employment, some of the folks over there might have some tips. //www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/
Yeah, I am going to have to be careful about the private security thing, and find out what the rules are on that. Really, I am trying to pivot out of the security field tbh. The security field sucks because you get paid by the contract and not by your experience. So whatever that site pays, that is what you get paid. A person could have 4 years of varied experience in security and another person could have just obtained their security license a month ago and whatever that particular site they are both at pays, that's what they pay everyone. Its a pretty messed up system.

Also advancing to the next level in the security field is just about impossible because you can't really work your way up. What almost always winds up happening is they either hire someone from the outside to be a Field Supervisor or they just some guy who is an ex-military officer, ex-FBI, ex-Cop, etc.

I really am trying to get back into the office, even a grocery store that pays 12.50 an hour and WOULD GIVE ME CONSISTENTLY 40 HOURS would be okay. I would even be willing to go into management, but security kind of sucks.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,117,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
I worked did security for the Jacksonville, Jaguars for 2 years. There are two companies that do security there: Safe Management and Centurion. I worked for, "Safe Management", and worked for that company for so long and was so trusted that I eventually earned my way up to, "Field Officer". What that means is that I was so trusted within the company that I was one of the 25 or 30 security officers out of about 1000 at those games that was allowed to actually be on the field with the players and the cheerleaders.

This is a very big deal because the last company that was contracted to do security for the Jaguars screwed up big time and let someone run onto the field on live TV and made the company look bad. In fact, it made the company look so bad that that entire company got fired because about 3 security guards that were failing to do there job. So if you got promoted to that position, you were something special.

The crappy part is that it only paid about $11 an hour and you didn't get a penny more for being on the field, you just got an "Attaboy" and that was about it.

Yeah, I am going to have to be careful about the private security thing, and find out what the rules are on that. Really, I am trying to pivot out of the security field tbh. The security field sucks because you get paid by the contract and not by your experience. So whatever that site pays, that is what you get paid. A person could have 4 years of varied experience in security and another person could have just obtained their security license a month ago and whatever that particular site they are both at pays, that's what they pay everyone, its a pretty messed up system.

Also advancing to the next level in the security field is just about impossible because you can't really work your way up. What almost always winds up happening is they either hire someone from the outside to be a Field Supervisor or they just some guy who is an ex-military officer, ex-FBI, ex-Cop, etc.

I really am trying to get back into the office, even a grocery store that pays 12.50 an hour and WOULD GIVE ME CONSISTENTLY 40 HOURS would be okay. I would even be willing to go into management, but security kind of sucks.
Fair enough. Speaking of ex-cops, my bub here just told me he saw an article about a shortage of cops in various areas, due to people not being able to pass the specifications. Here in Marion County, I heard they were having a hard time hiring, actually due to the pay, but I'm sure the pay is higher than what you're making right now. The cops here are pretty nice guys, but they have to put up with a lot in some of the meaner areas of Ocala.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:24 PM

Also the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office has something like 200 positions they can't fill, last I heard. probably the same in your area.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:32 AM

Oh and one more thing, I started off as a telemarketer years ago and even I did that I wore many hats and my official title was administrative assistant. So I did sales, customer service, and created documents using Microsoft office. I even created company slide shows for presentations.

That being said, my official title was admin assistant and can do everything your typical admin assistant can do, but was really just an office manager. But I find those jobs kind of worthless to apply to since I am an average (soon to be 30) old man. I have found they almost always want a young attractive woman to be office/admin assistants. So are those jobs even worth it to apply to?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Oh and one more thing, I started off as a telemarketer years ago and even I did that I wore many hats and my official title was administrative assistant. So I did sales, customer service, and created documents using Microsoft office. I even created company slide shows for presentations.

That being said, my official title was admin assistant and can do everything your typical admin assistant can do, but was really just an office manager. But I find those jobs kind of worthless to apply to since I am an average (soon to be 30) old man. I have found they almost always want a young attractive woman to be office/admin assistants. So are those jobs even worth it to apply to?
It depends on the job, really. Most of them are probably worthless, but it depends on the company, how well they pay and what the product or service is they're telemarketing.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,389,602 times
Just happened to see a “Costco is hiring” pop up on my phone.

They pay quite well I think.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

This article is from 2013. Not sure how it is today, but this sounds pretty decent.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-in-the-world

I've always heard good things about Costco.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
It depends on the job, really. Most of them are probably worthless, but it depends on the company, how well they pay and what the product or service is they're telemarketing.
No, no, I don't think that I was making myself clear in my last statement. YES, I was an admin assistant and I also worked the phones. However, I absolutely hated telemarketing and it made me an absolute nervous wreck. HERE IS THE POINT THAT I WAS TRYING TO GET ACROSS:

That job that I had, was a composite of two positions: 1) Telemarketing. 2) Answering the phones, sending out faxes, communicating with prospective clients, customer service, and I was basically like an office assistant/administrative assistant (the two job titles are often used interchangeably). However, from what I see, every single time I walk into an office, the receptionist/administrative assistant/office assistant (whatever you want to call it) is almost always a young, attractive woman. I think I have seen one male administrative assistant in my entire life.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Do you think it would even be worth it to apply to such a position given the fact that the businesses almost always want an attractive, young woman, to fill these positions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

Yes, I have read about that. Apparently the Costco CEO takes a huge pay cut in order to pay workers higher wages. I will definitely be looking into that as well as a friend that I have that says that Trader Joe's is hiring as well and starts employees out at 12.50 an hour.

My only reluctance in applying for these companies is that they are retail, and I just wonder if I would get a consistent 40 hour work week. I crunched the numbers and with the ridiculous amount of overtime I am working with my current security company, I would need to make 12.25 and get a consistent 40 hour work work in order to make what I am currently making right now at my company given the crazy 55 and 60 hour work weeks that I put in, in terms of overtime. I don't want to cut my nose off despite my face.

Do you know any employees at Trader Joe's or Costco? Do they usually get a 40 hour work week or is it "flexible" hours when you never know how many hours you are going to get each week. This is what I am trying to avoid.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 AM

No, probably not worth it to apply for telemarketing, under the circumstances, and definitely not if you hate the phones.

I don't know how Costco manages their personnel. Best thing to do is put your question into google search engine and see what comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville