U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 AM

1,444 posts, read 729,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'm sorry for your experience but most of the racism that exists would be much less overt than calling someone the n-word. It's mostly of the segregation type. People not visiting certain neighborhoods under the pretense of "high crime" but also because that's where all the black people live.

You'd be more likely experience someone clutching their purse or walking a little quicker with an eye towards escaping than being called the n-word. In my experience, the racism is more about fear than confrontation. They don't want to engage with you. They just want nothing to do with you.
This has been generally my experience in North FL from Pensacola to Jacksonville. I lived in Tallahassee for a long time. Blatant racism in the style of the 1960s segregationist, George Wallace of AL, was infrequent (albeit it did happen). I could go for months without experiencing blatant racism. When it did happen, it was tense but then it wouldn't occur again for months or longer. So, harsh, KKK style of racism with slurs was infrequent. Examples include two racist frat guys who wanted to fight in the gym - I was the brown Native American they hated. But most people in the gym were mellow - it was rare. Another time, a white southern male (middle-aged) called me a "s-ic" even though I am actually Native American. But such experiences were unusual.

The far more prevalent racism in North Florida was subtle racism. Examples include a white person who voted for Obama (and declares himself or herself non-racist) but locks the door at the sight of a black man in broad daylight of a Publix parking lot. Social ostracization in person or social media was common from subtly racist white women at FSU - not the majority but definitely more than a few. I witnessed workplace bullying which to me was rooted in subtle racism. This was the mindset of "I am not racist. I do not believe in slavery or the KKK, but I can bully this minority coworker when I feel like it" - this occurred at times. Another type of subtle racism was the pattern of middle-aged white men having emotional affairs with young white women and promoting them ahead of more experienced minorities with better job skills. I saw that in state government. The problem with subtle racism is that it is very easy for whites to deny. It's covert but pernicious. Back in the 1990s I watched a talk show about corporate racism. One minority woman talked about "playing the game" in corporate racial politics. I know now it means realizing that subtle racism is prevalent in the corporate environment but easy for whites to deny - so you have to learn to be sophisticated enough to work around it. I found iterative communication works if managers are kept in the loop.

So, you are more likely to run into subtle racism. My guess is that the odds of running into a white person yelling slurs at you are very low. It may happen only once in a time period of several months. You are more likely to run into subtle racism. But this is common throughout Florida - even among supposedly liberal Democrats (not just conservative white southerners).
https://www.thoughtco.com/examples-o...racism-2834960
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM

6,445 posts, read 3,885,577 times
I mean... I have heard the n-word in South Florida too.. from my own relatives too. You can find bigots and racists in any street corner in any city in America. I wouldn't let those experiences speak for the overall, though.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 PM

5,637 posts, read 5,477,145 times
You guys are doing an awesome job with this thread. Keep it going and give it a good work out. Virtue signal like you mean it!

Old 07-25-2018, 11:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,470,810 times
So this thread became a bunch of POC posting about their experiences with racism but they ask if the area is racist? If you feel NE Florida is racist then don’t come here. I’ve been here over a year and have not seen any incidents regarding racism. I have seen an anti military incident where the code enforcer in Jacksonville told a war veteran that he did nothing for this country while she was writing a summons to a business ( it was on the news)

I’ve also seen, pretty much every day POC be the victims of shootings, also committed by POC, and it just seems to happen in the same area of Jacksonville.

I’ve also seen 3 politicians, all black indicted on various white collar crimes accused of embezzling funds which could’ve gone to their constituents, who need it.

So stop with the “ is this place racist “ crap. Stop being a victim. If you want to move here, then move here.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 AM

384 posts, read 345,959 times
I guess the above poster just answered the question for you.

This is what I have generally seen in Jacksonville. Not people calling you the N word. Not being shunned or disrespected if you go out at a restaurant or to the beach. What you have from many whites in Jacksonville is general fear and animosity to the black community in general. I happen to live in a mostly black area. What I hear consistently from other whites in NE Florida is that they blame blacks for all problems with blacks and the black community and the black communities problems never had anything to do with white people. They view blacks as "takers" as drugged out criminals living in crappy areas, irresponsible parents, having piles of kids out of wedlock all on their way to gangs and prison. As a white person I am sorry that sounds so harsh, that so many white folks just washed there hands of issues that they created. We now blame the black community for not picking themselves up by their bootstraps and living the American dream. Unfortunately it is just so much more complicated then that. I have some ideas personally what the answers might be but I don't think it is relevant to this post and I doubt many white people would like them. So that is my take on race in NE Florida.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 AM

192 posts, read 103,670 times
We lived in Jax for over 10 years. I am a white woman from Europe and lived in several different places in the US but never had experienced any racism towards me. Jax was my first experience in the US where I experienced racism. We lived in a nice new development near the airport, outside of the I-295 belt.

I felt the racism from African American women towards me whenever I left the house (interestingly, the men were not like that). Most of the African American women had "a chip on their shoulder" and made a point to treat me with disdain and "an attitude" for being white. The cashiers in stores like Walmart made me understood that small talk was not welcome although they had just laughed and joked with the customer in front of me provided that he/she was also African American. I experienced the same behavior, no matter where I went: stores, drivers licence office etc. Not all African American women treated me like that but most of them. They made a point that now it was their time for collective punishment of white people.

This happened to me when I was by myself, without my husband. (It was not jealousy that I took away one of "their" men) . My husband is dark skinned and Hispanic. When they saw him they thought at first that he was one of them and treated him friendly - until he opened his mouth and they heard his slight accent. Then he basically got the same treatment that I got.

I tried to ignore it for a long time but it bothered me all these years. I am always friendly to everybody and I never have a problem with people of any color, on the contrary. I love a diverse and international environment.

I felt that the city of Jacksonville is still very segregated when it comes to race. And African Americans make a point that they want to keep it that way. I always felt out of place.

The other thing was that there was no entertainment for us. It seems that Latinos in Jax just do not go out. There was no support for Latino activities from the Latino community (we are into Latin music). So we gave it up and stayed home.

Now we finally moved to the Orlando area, yeah! Here it is like day and night in comparison with Jax. People are so friendly everywhere, no matter which skin color they have, and no matter if I go to Walmart, to the mall or to church. It is just a delight to go out and mingle with people. The vibe is totally different! It is positive and uplifting! People are very friendly and helpful! We love it here!

Last edited by germanoricua; 07-27-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 04:14 AM

320 posts, read 264,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

Jacksonville is very diverse, the city is now almost at 50/50 in terms of white/minority population and soon enough whites will be the minority if the trends continue.
and that's why its so high crime

Old 08-30-2018, 11:19 AM

1,733 posts, read 636,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'm sorry for your experience but most of the racism that exists would be much less overt than calling someone the n-word. It's mostly of the segregation type. People not visiting certain neighborhoods under the pretense of "high crime" but also because that's where all the black people live.

You'd be more likely experience someone clutching their purse or walking a little quicker with an eye towards escaping than being called the n-word. In my experience, the racism is more about fear than confrontation. They don't want to engage with you. They just want nothing to do with you.
'Under the PRETENSE of high crime'? Really?
Now if you don't take a stroll thru the ghetto you're racist?

If I'm walking down the street and there's a bunch of boys in yarmulkes on one side and black hooded teenagers dead ahead I'M A RACIST if I cross to avoid them?
Christ, Jesse Jackson would do the same and has much as said it!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I really don't think you can escape racism anywhere in the world. Pretty much everyone who isn't white has had some sort of race-related instance in their life. It's just a fact of being a minority. Shoot, I'm white Hispanic and even I have had negative experiences due to my ethnicity.

Just keep open-minded people in your crew and treat others how you wanna be treated.

Though it is not talked about at all: for your information a lot of white people experience as much passive and aggressive racism as well... Just saying.
They just keep it to themselves out of fear of starting retaliation on social media, at work, in the neighborhoods

Old 09-05-2018, 08:43 AM

384 posts, read 345,959 times
Quote:
Though it is not talked about at all: for your information a lot of white people experience as much passive and aggressive racism as well... Just saying.
They just keep it to themselves out of fear of starting retaliation on social media, at work, in the neighborhoods

Really, is this an issue of any real scope? First of all, you can not really have racism against whites, I believe you mean that white people have been the target of bigotry and prejudice by people of color. Of course that can happen. Blacks are bigots too, just like whites. I do not think it tends to be a large issue. I mean what is " a lot of white people" Being a 60 year old white man I can not recall a single instance in my life where I felt I was the target of bigotry and I live half the year in a largely African American Community. I will give you that it happens, but to somehow equate that whites have a big issue with this, that it is somehow comparable to endemic racism? No not the same, and your correct no one brings it up because they will be blasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or