Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:13 PM

162 posts, read 301,773 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I hate to land with an inflammatory title...but I have no choice. I moved from an urban midwest city to Jacksovnille in 2005 in the hope of taking a step forward career wise. I guess I should start by saying I'm a US born and raised citizen of S Asian descent (parents were immigrants in the 60s).

I only lasted a year the Jacksonville in the area due to a few very nasty incidents that occurred. The capstone was a trip to a recreational area to go camping where my gf at the (wife now, mother of my 2 children) and I were called the "n" word by a group of locals floating down the river. This was followed by a aggressive confrontation by them as we left the area in the parking lot where they chanted us out. We soon sold our home (for a loss) and moved to SE Florida where diversity is a strongly on display. In the end, it was a good move because we got out before the housing implosion.

Now, over a decade later and after a financial crisis and everything else, I'm tentatively evaluating a career opportunity that would bring me to Jacksonville again. While the job is great and my co-workers would be awesome, I have the added responsibility of two, very young children. While I'm sure that we would be fine in the urban areas of Duval and St Johns county and our experience would be much like SW Florida and SE Florida where we've been, I'm very concerned that this would be an isolating and constrained life experience. Meaning, we would not be able to participate in activities outside of the urban metro due to what we experienced over a decade ago still being prevalent. Especially given current anti-immigrant and anti-minority sentiment in heavily "Red" areas of the country.

We're boaters, campers, golfers, beach nuts and all around connoisseurs of enjoying life outside of the house. We've been in SW FLorida for 3 years and really indulged and while there is certainly tension, the people here in Naples have the smart sense and class to keep it under wraps. Plus, the lingua franca here is money....if you have it, then you're fine with most of the people here. Its a bit frustrating too, but at least we feel very safe if not fully accepted.

So, to the point of the matter. How has NE Florida changed since 2006? Is there greater acceptance of other skin tones in non-urban areas? Has it regressed in any way given the current climate?

Also...how's the sailing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:23 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
I really don't think you can escape racism anywhere in the world. Pretty much everyone who isn't white has had some sort of race-related instance in their life. It's just a fact of being a minority. Shoot, I'm white Hispanic and even I have had negative experiences due to my ethnicity.

Just keep open-minded people in your crew and treat others how you wanna be treated.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I really don't think you can escape racism anywhere in the world. Pretty much everyone who isn't white has had some sort of race-related instance in their life. It's just a fact of being a minority. Shoot, I'm white Hispanic and even I have had negative experiences due to my ethnicity.

Just keep open-minded people in your crew and treat others how you wanna be treated.
In general, I agree. However in a year, we had a spate of 3 of these incidents. Being confronted at JAX beach, slurs hurled at us Orange Park and then the incident camping. Not to mention the near daily "large truck, confederate flag" driving around town or cutting you off on I-95. It was a bit much.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:40 PM

23 posts, read 31,449 times
FWIW I am a S. Asian immigrant with an impressionable 2yo. I have yet to meet anyone who is rude in person, let alone racist, in the 6 months that i've been in Jax. Drivers are another story and i am sure i've done my share of rude driving. I've lived in and visited many parts of our country as well and i have never had issues like yours.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
So because you encountered a handful of rednecks you decided to uproot your family, life and change jobs to another part of the state? If that's going to be your way to respond to conflict I fear no level of reassurance here or anywhere else is going to help you out.

Jacksonville is very diverse, the city is now almost at 50/50 in terms of white/minority population and soon enough whites will be the minority if the trends continue. I can't imagine anyone here would feel out of place due to their race.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So because you encountered a handful of rednecks you decided to uproot your family, life and change jobs to another part of the state? If that's going to be your way to respond to conflict I fear no level of reassurance here or anywhere else is going to help you out.

Jacksonville is very diverse, the city is now almost at 50/50 in terms of white/minority population and soon enough whites will be the minority if the trends continue. I can't imagine anyone here would feel out of place due to their race.
Uproot? We'd been there less than year at that point. We were in our young 20s...precisely the time to find where we fit in! Also, as I stated, this was the capstone of multiple incidents through the course of the year. Also, aren't you being a bit naive? Why would anyone stay where they're not welcome? Especially when there are other places that go out of their way to say "we want you and your talents here".

Your attitude is lending credence to other threads on this board that JAX is *NOT* a very friendly city. Saw this thread just a bit after posting.

Last edited by night0wl; 07-13-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post

Your attitude is lending credence to other threads on this board that JAX is *NOT* a very friendly city. Saw this thread just a bit after posting.
Interesting how both you and the person who started that thread have similar usernames ("0" vs. "O"). Hmmm.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Interesting how both you and the person who started that thread have similar usernames ("0" vs. "O"). Hmmm.
You're off your rocker...go check out my post history to see if there's any dupes.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 AM

Based on your lengthy experience with thousands of racist people, I would not advise moving to Jacksonville.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
I'm Japanese and last time I heard racial slurs hurled my way was back in the early 80's when I was 7 or 8 years old (that was in northern NJ). Granted I don't really get out much outside of PVB aside from trips to Costco, Town Center, JB, NB, AB, and TIAA Bank for Jags games, I haven't had any issues down here and it'll be 3 years in August.

About 10 years ago, a lady in her 30's came up to me at a supermarket in Hackensack, NJ and asked me if I was oriental to which I reluctantly said "yes, I am". Now I know most asians hate that term and deem it derogatory but I don't really take much offense to it. Anyways, she went onto ask me "Do you know where the soy sauce is?". I told her I wasn't sure and she walked away shaking her head likely mumbling to herself, "how the hell does this asian guy not know where the damn soy sauce is, you useless asian tool..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville