U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 7,947 times

Advertisements

Was looking for any advise on developments we looked at already. We went down in August of last year and looked at quite a few but think the one we liked the most was Rivertown. Nocatee looked too big, Shearwater was nice, Windward Ranch was too far south, Palencia was another favorite but looked spread out and a little further out. We are planning to go down again in September and look again at Rivertown but also want to look at Celestina on 210 which looks really nice as well.. I have seen a few resales in Rivertown which get me a little nervous as why people would want to leave that development which looks really nice. Would anyone have any pros or cons on Rivertown or even Celestina which I don't know if there are any people actually living there yet. This has been a long process with relocating between there or North Carolina but like the idea of Florida better, as I am retired nyc police and pension does not get taxed but worried about GHI down there. My kids will be approaching college age when we go so schools are not an issue. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 8,863 times
Would love to chat with you. I am a retired Denver cop that grew up in LI and my dad and many friends are retired NYPD. Many NYPD retirees down here! My wife says "it's Long Island with palm trees." lol. I will message you or you can message me - your family will love it here!

Old 07-31-2018, 06:57 PM

3,687 posts, read 1,977,139 times
Rivertown was started a few years back:

4,500-home RiverTown development poised for takeoff following starts and stops - Business - The Florida Times-Union - Jacksonville, FL

Rivertown has the area that was built out a few years ago with a nice amenity center. Mattamy took it over and built a new entrance. Its a bit far from everything for us. The new amenity center on the river is nice. The main attraction is the proximity to the river which you can't swim in.
Celestina was started by Standard Pacific then Cal Atlantic and now Lennar. We looked at it a few times and the amenity center was nothing special.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 AM

4,916 posts, read 3,487,533 times
The problem with Rivertown is its location. It's a ways down 210 where there is currently not much other than more developments. There are some strip malls being planned for 210 but they are likely years away at this point. You'd also be dealing with what is currently a 2-lane road that has proven to be extremely dangerous. There are homeowners on that road who have put up signs asking people to "Let us in!" because the road is so busy and people speed like maniacs. Just this morning I drove up on an accident on 210 where someone was t-boned going through an intersection at a very high rate of speed.

There are also a few developments that are going up off of 210 that will be tens of thousands of additional homes. A lot of people here have joked that 210 will be the next Blanding Blvd and I don't think they are too far off.

I'm sure the houses are nice and I've heard the amenities are very good as well. Personally, I wouldn't want to be that far west down 210 like that. If your home was 10 minutes inside the development, you're looking at a very long drive to go just about anywhere.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,470,810 times
Would also love to chat with you. I am also retired nyc police and we moved here June 2017. While living here already we have thought of moving just to get a bigger house. There are people on my block that have moved for a variety of reasons, and the oldest homes on my block are only 3 years old . People move to rent out their current home, or they want a bigger home, or in most cases they get a job transfer, which seems to be why most people leave .

We went to the grand opening of the Rivertown amenity center right off SR 13. It was really really nice, a pool , a restaurant, and a boardwalk that jutted out right onto the St Johns River. Really nice and the CDD and HOA fees were pretty much the same as where we are now. The propels at Rivertown said they will be building there for what next 10years so we are waiting to see if something comes in that tickles our eye and I am also kinda waiting for when I get finalized so I will have some extra money of course.

I considered NC but they tax your pension and if I didn’t end up in Florida, I would’ve went to South Carolina, Cheaper property taxes, cheaper gas, and no Common Core.

Feel free to message me with any questions .

Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 AM

4,916 posts, read 3,487,533 times
One very nice thing about Rivertown is that they have their own sports leagues. They run one of the nicest youth baseball leagues in NE FL and lots of kids will "graduate" to that level once they get to be age 8. It's sort of a mini-Nocatee or Palencia in that sense.....they are big enough to be able to have their own baseball fields.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 AM

318 posts, read 366,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgat5553 View Post
Was looking for any advise on developments we looked at already. We went down in August of last year and looked at quite a few but think the one we liked the most was Rivertown. Nocatee looked too big, Shearwater was nice, Windward Ranch was too far south, Palencia was another favorite but looked spread out and a little further out. We are planning to go down again in September and look again at Rivertown but also want to look at Celestina on 210 which looks really nice as well.. I have seen a few resales in Rivertown which get me a little nervous as why people would want to leave that development which looks really nice. Would anyone have any pros or cons on Rivertown or even Celestina which I don't know if there are any people actually living there yet. This has been a long process with relocating between there or North Carolina but like the idea of Florida better, as I am retired nyc police and pension does not get taxed but worried about GHI down there. My kids will be approaching college age when we go so schools are not an issue. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you
Originally from the north, we have been here about a year. We felt Rivertown was far from everything - like the grocery store, etc. Eventually they will have a store there - just not yet. Also loved Celestina... BUT Lennar has taken over the building there, and you would be dealing with Lennar. I believe they are keeping the home designs that Cal Atlantic had, (awesome creative floorpans) but if you had a problem later on after you move in, Lennar would be the folks you deal with. No thanks.

Palencia is in a flood zone. Take a look at the maps. If you are OK with being in a flood zone, then heck yes. We were not. Suggest looking at Gran Lake and Arbor Mills and maybe a second glance at Shearwater. We did not choose those developments because we wanted a larger lot. The homes are close together there. BUT the homes are very very nice. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville