U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 8,473 times

Advertisements

I know this may be a long shot, but I was hoping someone might have some familiarity with both Saint Simons Island, GA and Nocatee and have some insight on deciding between making one of these destinations home. My wife and I are looking for an ideal place to raise my two girls, both infants. Does anyone have an opinion on choosing between the two solely on which would be the better place to have a young family? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM

110 posts, read 90,156 times
So what I do know is that St. Simons ranks high for GA, but while they are in the top 30% of GA schools, Nocatee and the N. St. Johns county area are in the top 5% and if you can afford to move to the beach and reside in 32082, it is the top public school ranking in Florida, so for the longe term, the schools are better here.

Also, consider that while both have great housing options and put you near the water, Nocatee will run you about 25-35% more for rent. Home buying for a 2500sf home in both places will likely see you at $450-550k in either place. Crime rates are low in both and while Nocatee scores lower on "nightlife" (restaurants, bars, etc) keep in mind it is almost all families and if you want to shake it up a bit for date night, you can drive 20 minutes to Jax Beach or St. Augustine from Nocatee.

Since I live here in PV, I am not too sure about how much development is happening in SSI, but here in Nocatee if you don't need brand new, there are a lot of beautiful homes that are 2-8 years old (still pretty new really) and resales give you great value because the builders compete with the resales.

Nocatee has an average CDD of $1800 a year, but HOAs are pretty low - so for about $150-250 a month (CDD and HOA) you get great amenities and more to come! Also, we do not pay income tax (as of now) in Florida, so that has to factor in when a family can keep 10-13% more of their paycheck in their pocket.

SSI does also have a southern resort town feel, but Nocatee has the balance of everything for families from amenities to schools to hundreds of home plans and styles and of course the growing job market in Jacksonville.

I don't want to sound biased - and actually I don't live in Nocatee, but they sure do offer a lot for families! We have four kids and loved there for 2 years when we first came to FL. We just weren't using all that Nocatee offered so we moved over the bridge, but have a lot of friends in Nocatee.

Check out niche.com and compare. I will say though that niche states that Nocatee feels rural and I definitely do not think that anymore - five years ago, maybe, but it def feels suburban now. Also you will see that it ranks #1 in Florida for families. AND>>>only 14% of households in SSI have kids according to Niche, so while some info may be needing an update, I think that for young families and tax reasons alone, Nocatee, Ponte Vedra Beach and St. Johns in general is a great choice!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 AM

66 posts, read 28,466 times
Nocatee is very beautiful. It is a bit different than other developments because of uneven above the sea soil levels meaning that it will never be crowded with houses since they build only where the elevation is high enough. So basically you are going to live in a neighborhood surrounded by some houses and beautiful tall southern pine trees. Those trees will always stay there because of too low elevation to build

It is an expensive neighborhood but since it is far south away from all the stuff your commute to work may be longer then if you were living let's say in Mandarin- Jax for example. We picked Mandarin over Nokatee for this exact same reason - commute.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM

5,199 posts, read 3,646,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_ View Post
Nocatee is very beautiful. It is a bit different than other developments because of uneven above the sea soil levels meaning that it will never be crowded with houses since they build only where the elevation is high enough.
Ah....really?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 AM

22,215 posts, read 32,595,321 times
I would vote for St Simon's over Nocatee. SSI has more of a community feel in my opinion and while touristy is much more established with a core community of residents and a downtown area that's not fabricated by one developer. School rankings can be utilized to help narrow, but outside of the lowest ranked districts would bet the outcome the same if involved parents of an above average student. SSI is also going to maintain it's current appearance/feel while Nocatee is going to continue to develop over the next seven to ten years, most likely into the over-built sprawl seen elsewhere in FL.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:42 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,364,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
SSI has more of a community feel in my opinion and while touristy is much more established with a core community of residents and a downtown area that's not fabricated by one developer. SSI is also going to maintain it's current appearance/feel while Nocatee is going to continue to develop over the next seven to ten years, most likely into the over-built sprawl seen elsewhere in FL.
Couldn't agree with you more on these 2 points.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM

3,753 posts, read 5,443,215 times
A big thing to consider is Nocatee is a suburb of Jacksonville, which means it takes 30 minutes to get to anything Jacksonville offers. Because of Geography SSI is 90 minutes to Jacksonville meaning if you like Costco or concerts, sporting events, then you will have to goto Jacksonville. If you want a smaller town then SSI is something you should look at.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:45 PM

66 posts, read 28,466 times
to Florida 2014 - I got this info from my builder who builds houses in the area. He said that Nocatee will never be built up like the rest of the places due to uneven ft. height above the see level. Some ears are just too low to build.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:18 AM

3,145 posts, read 4,219,921 times
SSI is becoming a very affluent retirement and tourist destination. This I know from friends living there, much like here on Amelia our demographics are showing an older median age and higher median housing prices.

Nocatee for the most part I think will remain a family community that will indeed sprawl. With the opportunity to sprawl you can still maintain the opportunity to find affordable housing while here on Amelia and SSI that is quickly diminishing for the middle class.

I have been here in this area over thirty years and finally, finally Jacksonville appears to be coming of it's own as far as shopping, cultural, sporting, concerts and many more things to enjoy. Nocatee's proximity to this is a major plus coupled with it's highly rated but busting at the seams school system.

Good luck...........another last thing is the lack of income tax in Florida.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:43 AM
rtt

257 posts, read 698,341 times
When we were considering a move with our toddlers aside from my husband's work it was all about the schools. Aside from that, are you familiar with both areas? Have you explored? There's alot for families to do in the greater Jacksonville area and so many choices on where to live. St Johns has really good schools and there's an abundance of places to live with varying price points aside from Nocatee.Try to take your time and do your homework....best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or