U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,340,888 times

Advertisements

Just recently purchased a home and within 2 weeks of us moving in realized we have rodents in the attic. We did have the house inspected but I guess I should have had a pest control inspection for rodents but given we are from the Midwest, rodents in attics etc. is not as common as I have spoken to many here in Jacksonville and I guess having rats in the attic is not a question of if but when. It's almost a right of passage here, just about everyone I have spoken with has had rats in their attic. The inspector did mention there were a few spots where bugs, small rodents could get in but didn't make to big of deal out of it.

Now that I am aware that we have an issue I have shined my flashlight on the roof returns to discover our house has huge gaps in just about every return- it might as well be the front door left wide open inviting anything to come in. Simply amazed that construction would be this sloppy on a newer home (2005) and this is not just a cookie cutter home. The roof had been recently replaced not sure if that had anything to do with it but very possible as I cannot imagine having these sized gaps and no issues in the past.

Now the fun part of hiring a pest control co. to remedy the issue. This business seems like a racket in a way, very "salesy" and highly pricey. I've interviewed a couple of them, the good news is we caught this issue early and the removal will be easier and not a lot of waste to be concerned about, phewww! It just seems like an industry where you feel your being hard sold and not sure who to trust.
The expensive part is sealing all the holes which needs to be done and had I known just how large these gaps were etc. I would have had the previous owner correct before closing. I'm just hoping the co. we hired will do a good job of sealing the home without anything being noticeable. They might be good at catching creatures but are they careful construction folks?

Thanks for letting me rant- just frustrated as anyone who has purchased a new home has many expenses and spending unexpected big bucks to remove rodents is disheartening not to mention feeling a little grossed out knowing I have been living with rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 AM

1,269 posts, read 1,345,621 times
No rats for us thus far (bought our house in 2015 - built in late 90's) and we did have pest inspections inside the house for WDO (Bug Out) - not sure if that covered rats but the guy was up in the attic for sure. Sounds like a PIA... Hopefully that'll be it for you.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:11 AM

Location: NJ = home of the hate, hypocrisy and hysteria dem party.
6,829 posts, read 4,701,942 times
Maybe it's a squirrel or two?

I know how unnerving it is hearing sounds in the attic via a room ceiling sheet rock.

I had this happen and more recently birds and their nest in my fireplace chimney.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:45 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,314,521 times
you need aluminum soffits the plastic ones can be bitten through by rodents and nesting animals

Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 8,954 times
They are called "roof rats", what I was told by our exterminator. The rates will climb the trees that are located by the homes to escape the rain and water, and yes they can jump from the end of the branch onto the roof. We decided to remove the trees that were close to the house.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 PM

318 posts, read 367,763 times
Hire pest control and get it taken care of. Orkin comes to mind, Nader Pest Control or possibly Turner Pest Control, or a trapper and get those nasty things out of there.

All trees cut back away from the house. So if they try to jump, they will only try it once. Also, please check the palm trees. I've heard they can nest in the crown of the palms.

Be prepared for the clean up. New insulation and you will need to have your wiring checked in the attic as well.

I'm from the north - went through this with squirrels back in Virginia. Totally sucks.

Cost us over $15,000 to have the squirrels removed, outside fixed, wires checked, insulation removed and re blown into the attic. YEP. Pricey is right.

There will never be another tall tree near my house again, and I'm always checking the outside soffits, vents, etc.

Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville