Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,210,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranklin825 View Post
ShakenStirred - I'd love to know what builders you work for. I'm looking to build a house and really want quality construction.
These are the ones I would recommend for sure that you could trust 100%. I don't necessarily work for all of them, but I have in the past and know they all do great quality. Some only build in certain counties, so you'll have to research that, but you should be able to find somebody in this list for just about anywhere in Duval, St. Johns, Nassau or Clay counties to build you a house.

1. JL Linder Group
2. David Weekley Homes
3. Marcus Allen Homes
4. Plantation Housing Corporation (Nassau County only I believe)
5. John Merrill Homes
6. Kendale Design/Build
7. CornerStone Homes

And yes, there are others that I do work for but wouldn't recommend. Good luck building your house!

SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,796 times
Default Listen to ShakenStirred

Used to own an ICI home for a few years. Even though the home was only a few years old at the time, I had to do several repairs, including roof flashing, repair of leaky windows, repair of multiple broken window cables (made of cheap plastic that broke as soon as you opened the window), electrical repairs, plumbing repairs, stucco repairs, and multiple pool equipment repairs. Easily several thousand dollars, all in all. I was "lucky" though because I had neighbors that had bigger problems, including mold from water damage from a leaky picture window (had to practically rebuild the area with a new window frame and stucco). Several other neighbors had to have new irrigation wells drilled after only a few years, because the pipes corroded and/or the wells ran dry. Cracked concrete slabs was another fairly common complaint as well as leaky roofs. Could have been due to similar elevation problems to Turtle Shores??

To add to the issues - the common areas were of poor quality: cracked and heaving roads (not even a decade old), poor drainage areas, lakes and ponds were scummy or dried up, poor water quality, bad street lighting, poor security, you name it. A fair number of complaints about the condition of the golf courses, pool water being green and unheated, etc.

By the way, the HOA and CDD arrangements for this builder and many others in Florida are heavily weighed in favor of the Developers -- who create complex CC&Rs with lots of ambiguous fine print that is meant to screw the homeowners. Your CDD fees and HOA assessments just keep going up, but you wonder where the money goes, because everything around you is deteriorating. For some reason, the people in charge think that planting new annuals and putting up some flags at the entrance will distract buyers from the general shabbiness.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 AM

164 posts, read 226,254 times
Is it just me or does it seem like the lower the post count, the more negative the post?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:57 AM

9,268 posts, read 8,163,930 times
Yes. I realize everyone has to start at 1 post but when someone joins the site to only post negatively about a certain homebuilder it makes you wonder if they are employed by competitors or simply have an ax to grind with the company. While I would take all opinions into consideration I would likely discount those posts by folks with no other posts. Queue up this guy calling me a loser for having 600+posts, lol.

Although I will say the post above AT LEAST has some details about their situation vs all the generic "dishonest" and "fraud" crap that the others have posted about that other builder in the area.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,796 times
Or the people with lots of posts might just be doing "reputation management" AKA damage control. The point of these forums is to provide the reader and consumer with feedback, so they can make an informed choice.

The proof of construction errors is documented by TurtleShores.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:27 AM

Newsflash - every home builder has experienced construction errors and lawsuits. This isn't something unique to ICI. You need to look no further than these message boards to see where folks absolutely REAM certain home builders in the area, while others seem to have had zero issues with the same builder. I think it's a lot like cars, a certain number of people will experience issues due to bad luck and others will have cars that run smoothly for 150,000 miles, while others will be unhappy no matter what.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:26 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,145,482 times
ICI has always been more expensive, but their floorplans have always been a little different or unique compared to a lot of cookie cutter homes. They all say they are custom home builders, which is a joke and overstatement. Moving a door or a window with a change fee doesn't make you a custom home builder.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,210,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Newsflash - every home builder has experienced construction errors and lawsuits. This isn't something unique to ICI. You need to look no further than these message boards to see where folks absolutely REAM certain home builders in the area, while others seem to have had zero issues with the same builder. I think it's a lot like cars, a certain number of people will experience issues due to bad luck and others will have cars that run smoothly for 150,000 miles, while others will be unhappy no matter what.
Newsflash....I am heavily involved in the construction industry and have been contracted by well over 100 builders, both commercial and residential, throughout the State of Florida for the past 15 years.

You can make 3 lists of builders as follows:

1. First consideration (will have a few problems, but will be resolved because they care about the customer, considers quality first and profit second)
2. Last resort (puts profit margins first, but occasionally lucks out and builds an ok house, but you'll still have problems because quality is secondary and shareholders come first)
3. Pick a cardboard box over this builder (profit is primary, cuts corners everywhere possible and quality is the last consideration)

Bearing in mind some builders move in and out of lists 1 and 2 over the years, ICI belongs in list #3. Always have, and to the trained eye, always will.

I have owned GM, Honda, Acura and Jeep vehicles all my life and my next one will be a Ford. Which has zero bearing on my analysis of ICI. The only person who would lead a prospective buyer to an ICI home is an ICI employee.

SS

Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM

Wouldn't a custom home builder, by design, have more construction issues and complaints vs. a builder who puts out the same design again and again?

And my comment had nothing to do with ICI. The poster above made it sound like complaints about construction were unique to ICI, my only point was that they are not.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM

454 posts, read 691,414 times
Agree with Florida2014, for pretty much any large company builder in the Jacksonville area, it sounds like you can find people who have had issues.

Sure some companies may be more customer-oriented than others, but they are all businesses and what counts is the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville