U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 AM

7,470 posts, read 17,218,595 times

Advertisements

Don't really understand this, "Take Back Our City" thing? This a marketing thing to get more people to watch this certain news station here? Is JSO laughing about this upcoming program?

It's already been revealed, but JSO, that the two dudes that were shot, one died, after the high school football game, knew the gang members that shot them. Obviously their families dispute this, but what else is new.

Other shootings/murders in Jacksonville are due to bad drug deals or whatever. Gangs and drugs are just a part of certain areas of Jacksonville, just like some other big cities. There are those that don't want to talk, due to gangs coming after them.

"Take Back Our City"? I'll be Chicago would like to have the same saying there.

Really wish this could happen, for Jacksonville sake, but...……..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 6,300,542 times
I heard about that, and all I can do is SMH. The reason why one of the dudes aren't talking is retaliation. The guy's fellow gang members are supposedly going to retaliate against their rivals. Anytime someone in the ghetto is shot or killed, and the victim or victim's family doesn't talk, it's because retaliation is inevitable. Jacksonville gangs aren't on the level of Chicago, NY and LA, our gangs are loosely based around your hood/block. Some of the crews here will turn on each other when it comes down to it.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I heard about that, and all I can do is SMH. The reason why one of the dudes aren't talking is retaliation. The guy's fellow gang members are supposedly going to retaliate against their rivals. Anytime someone in the ghetto is shot or killed, and the victim or victim's family doesn't talk, it's because retaliation is inevitable. Jacksonville gangs aren't on the level of Chicago, NY and LA, our gangs are loosely based around your hood/block. Some of the crews here will turn on each other when it comes down to it.
Sorry, but what does SMH mean? Then again, three (four?) were arrested for the shooting of the little girl sitting in the car. They were arrested on tips given to JSO, right? Heck, I can't keep up with this.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sorry, but what does SMH mean? Then again, three (four?) were arrested for the shooting of the little girl sitting in the car. They were arrested on tips given to JSO, right? Heck, I can't keep up with this.
Shaking My Head. Yes, they were arrested. Ghetto life is funny sometimes: If a young child under 12 is shot or killed, people are quick to talk to the cops, but for an older youth or adult, not so much.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:05 AM

From the response to this Thread, I can tell that really nobody, besides myself and Northside904 know about this program. Actually, I don't think anyone in Jacksonville even thinks or cares about the shootings that have happened. "Not in my backyard, so why should I care" is what I've heard.

Don't know exactly what these news people plan on doing, but it's heard that it's something to do with the City Council. Guess I'll find out tonight, when the program is on.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:10 AM

I watched this program this last Thursday and, in my opinion, nothing will change. The head of Mad Dads was on the news set and talked about people in these crime areas doing the "code of silence" thing and how to have that stopped. However, he also said that those that don't want to talk are those that would be afraid for their lives if they did...….like a drive-by shooting or something. He also stated that there are also families that don't want to talk, because the family is involved in some kind of illegal things as well.

So, Jacksonville goes on. Rather funny, but many in Jacksonville really thought that this crime/shooting/murder thing was lower with a new Mayor and Sheriff elected. Well, guess that didn't work.

Any suggestions on how to stop all of this violence?

Yesterday, a lady was found holding a knife that she had just used to stab a man in a car. JSO found this as they rolled up to the scene.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Truth be told, the responsibility isn't the Mayor and Sheriff to stop the violence plaguing NW & North Jacksonville, it's on the residents. Take a ride through North Jacksonville (Norwood Ave. to 45th & Moncrief) and NW Jacksonville and tell me what you see: Random people at all times of day standing on street corners, walking around and sitting on their front porches. You can tell they're up to no good. You'll even see ghetto teens skipping school to hang on the block. Like you said, sometimes families won't talk because they're involved in some illegal things as well. When it all comes down to it, retaliation, benefitting from illegal activity and fear for one's life are the top reasons why most people in the hood don't talk. 9 times out of 10, crime victims in the hood don't talk because they're planning to retaliate against their enemy. Parents in the black community need to get back to the days where they were in their children's business, and stop trying to be their friend.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM

So, basically nothing can be done, right? The situation just won't get any better, and if it does, it won't stay that way for long, right?

Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, basically nothing can be done, right? The situation just won't get any better, and if it does, it won't stay that way for long, right?
The residents have to get fed up enough with gangs and drug dealers terrorizing their hoods that they band together to run them out. Parents have to start being parents. There's the solution right there. Think about it, criminals thrive in neighborhoods where residents overlook their illegal activity. It's no surprise why areas like Mandarin/San Jose don't have the criminality of North/NW Jax, because the residents over there wouldn't go for that.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,477,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post

Snitches Get Stitches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or