U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 01:26 PM

134 posts, read 219,591 times

Advertisements

queensny67, we built with Toll Brothers and moved in March this year. I gathered intel from the folks on this site and met with my builder. Told him I was aware that many builders in the area were doing things not the way they should be. Like the rolling of the tape. He walked me over to a home and pointed out the imprint left from a recently taped home. Luckily for us we lived local during the build. I was there every day. So far so good with our new home.
As for MasterCraft, I am very aware of them but have never heard any bad news about them.

Good people on here for sure though. There is a lot of experience and willingness to help each other

I am from Westchester NY. Been down here for 10 years and love it

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,117,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
queensny67, we built with Toll Brothers and moved in March this year. I gathered intel from the folks on this site and met with my builder. Told him I was aware that many builders in the area were doing things not the way they should be. Like the rolling of the tape. He walked me over to a home and pointed out the imprint left from a recently taped home. Luckily for us we lived local during the build. I was there every day. So far so good with our new home.
As for MasterCraft, I am very aware of them but have never heard any bad news about them.

Good people on here for sure though. There is a lot of experience and willingness to help each other

I am from Westchester NY. Been down here for 10 years and love it

Good Luck

That's awesome, and kudos to you for making them show you the imprint. The caveat here is that as the tape heats up, the imprint will disappear after a few days, so it's important to check the zip taping for the imprint as soon as it's done.

Toll Brothers uses ICG Framing, who subs the zip taping out to a couple of other companies. One of their sub-subcontractors does an outstanding job, but the other one I don't think even owns any of the rollers.

Again, excellent investigative work!

SS

Old 09-23-2018, 11:00 AM

13 posts, read 7,246 times
Default Mastercraft builder Group

Yes, And I am from Westchester county, new York. Lived there 40 years. Thanks for your comment.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:31 PM

13 posts, read 7,246 times
Builder mentioned on this thread because very offended when his Zip System application was questioned. Visited community
and looked at the builder pre-construction homes and J Tool not used - there was no impression - diamond markings - told
that they disappear when the sun shines on the tape!!!

Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 PM

30 posts, read 30,569 times
Mastercraft builds a great home. Very responsive during the build. Actually we just did a pre-drywall inspection with some of my clients and MC has responded to and fixed items that many would consider insignificant. My buyers are VERY particular and in this case and wanted a few things moved and tweaked. MC did it all promptly with no complaint. I have had excellent experiences with Mastercraft in Shearwater. (Only place I've sold them so far)

Old 12-12-2018, 01:57 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,117,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensny67 View Post
Builder mentioned on this thread because very offended when his Zip System application was questioned. Visited community
and looked at the builder pre-construction homes and J Tool not used - there was no impression - diamond markings - told
that they disappear when the sun shines on the tape!!!
That's partially true. Yes, some of the diamond or "z" imprints on the tape will disappear over the course of several days as the adhesive in the tape melds with the panel. Not all of the markings will completely disappear, but most will, especially if it's hot out. If you check around back porches and areas where the sun doesn't hit the house, you should still see occasional imprints on the tape, or at least a lot of scuff marks from the rollers, especially at inside corners.

Now...how do you know it was rolled after the imprints are mostly gone? That's simple. If the zip tape was rolled properly, as the adhesive bonds to the panel, the tape will take on the shape and texture of the panel underneath, so the surface will look rough like the zip panels themselves. If you see tape that is completely smooth, flat and shiny, it wasn't rolled.

Now with that in mind, even if every square inch of the house was rolled, there is another huge issue I have been seeing in the field with nails lately. On the Zip System, the nails at all the seams have to be flush with the panel, or even slightly (1/16") over driven. I have been seeing a ton of houses just in the past month or so where almost all the nails at the seams are sticking up. This is not good, and I don't know why this issue suddenly arose, but as a homebuyer you need to look out for this. If too many (any at all in my opinion) are sticking up, those are areas where the tape is not contacting the panel, and the more of that, the higher the potential for failure becomes. I see where companies are taping over these seams with the nails still sticking up, and that's a tiny spot for air, water and dirt to get in and eventually cause the tape around it to fail. It also goes against the manufacturer requirements of the system, which means no warranty on the system if it does fail.

I have attached a picture of this problem so you can see what I'm talking about exactly.

I recommend if you are buying a house with the zip system that you check to make sure all nails are all flush with the zip panel at all the seams, and if you find your house has already been taped, and there is a lot of nails poking up through the tape, do not let them cover it up and make them fix it! It's not like a cabinet or tile that you can replace later. Once it's covered up, that's it, you only have once chance to get that part of the construction right. If you don't, it will cost you later.

Good luck to all and I hope everyone has a super Merry Christmas and Happy & Safe Holiday Season!!

SS
Attached Thumbnails
Mastercraft Builder Grp. St Johns County-underdrivennails.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or