Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 AM

22 posts, read 60,482 times

Advertisements

Hi! We just purchased a home in a subdivision where the HOA fees do not include lawncare. We are from the Northeast and this is a second home. Not so much asking for contractor names - I can find that. But more asking WHAT needs to be done. For example, does the lawn need to be mowed every week, ten days, two weeks? Does this vary by time of year? What type of lawn treatment do I need? Fertilizer and pest control?

We received a one year "termite bond" but the same contractor pitched an expensive pest control program and I am a bit lost as to what we need and don't need. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
1. Lawn needs to be mowed 1x/week from April through October. Same w/shrubs. We pay $120/month for this service. You can move to 2x/week from November through March but most lawn care companies will charge you the same fee regardless of what time of year it is.
2. Yes you absolutely need pest control here. We get our lawn and shrubs treated monthly ($70/mo) and also have separate pest only control for the interior/exterior of the home ($33/mo). The lawn treatment will cover both fertilizer and treatment for bugs/worms/etc.
3. In addition to all of that you also need termite protection. You will get the termite bond, which is the "heavy" treatment once every 5 years (depends on the bond that was previously purchased) where they drill holes and use Termidor. This can be VERY expensive as we recently found out.....$1,000 roughly, but that is only every 5 years or so. Find out how long your last bond goes for to know how much time you have left on that. These companies will also come out annually to inspect for termites. They were here for us recently for about 20 minutes and charged us something insane like $250. It really is a racket but necessary due to the climate here.

Lots of services and associated costs we weren't fully aware of until we moved here. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Thank you Florida 2014. That is very helpful.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:59 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
The price depends on your lot size. Our is mowec 1x/week and when its cooler every other week. You get charged the same every month. On the non mowing weeks they trim bushes and do cleanup. We pay 160/month but we have .5 acres Pest control is a must have we used Naders and have been happy so far. We use the Sentricon for termites and its considerable cheaper than Termidor and they don't have to drill holes in you sidewalk or pool deck. Welcome to Florida.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:28 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
We use Naders as well for pest (inside and out), lawn maintenance (fertilizer, insecticides etc) and ornamentals (ie. treating bushes/hedges). As Thundarr mentioned, they use Sentricon for termites and it's definitely cheaper. The termite bond renewal runs about $300 per year and they inspect annually. I think they get us for about $1,500 per year (including the termite bond) after all's said and done. No issues in the 3 years we've lived here.

I do my own lawn, bushes/hedges etc. My last cut is usually in mid to late November if I recall and don't start up again until late March.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 AM

Thank you Thundarr and Ivan!

Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Thanks, I misspoke...it is Sentricon, not Termidor. One piece of advice I'd give you in terms of lawn care is to get several quotes and negotiate price. And never, ever settle on anyone who doesn't come with a number of positive reviews. When we first came to FL I only got 3 quotes and settled on one but didn't check any online reviews or personal references and I was extremely dissatisfied with their service. Lots of broken sprinkler heads, shoddy trimming of hedges and once they signed us up they moved us from their "prime" slot of Fridays to Tuesdays. It was a pleasure firing them. Negotiate all of that up front and be clear with what you expect.

Other services you should likely do at least annually are to have all your sprinklers checked and adjusted and to have your HVAC(s) serviced/cleaned. Your a/c will be running 24/7 for 8 months out of the year so it's important to keep them maintained. And I speak from experience with respect to sprinklers, one or two always seem to break every year and often the water pressure affects the spray radius, so I see dry spots unless I have them adjusted.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 AM

Thanks again Florida 2014. Good advice on the irrigation and A/C.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 5,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Thanks, I misspoke...it is Sentricon, not Termidor. One piece of advice I'd give you in terms of lawn care is to get several quotes and negotiate price. And never, ever settle on anyone who doesn't come with a number of positive reviews. When we first came to FL I only got 3 quotes and settled on one but didn't check any online reviews or personal references and I was extremely dissatisfied with their service. Lots of broken sprinkler heads, shoddy trimming of hedges and once they signed us up they moved us from their "prime" slot of Fridays to Tuesdays. It was a pleasure firing them. Negotiate all of that up front and be clear with what you expect.

Other services you should likely do at least annually are to have all your sprinklers checked and adjusted and to have your HVAC(s) serviced/cleaned. Your a/c will be running 24/7 for 8 months out of the year so it's important to keep them maintained. And I speak from experience with respect to sprinklers, one or two always seem to break every year and often the water pressure affects the spray radius, so I see dry spots unless I have them adjusted.
Would you be so kind as to share with me what company you use for your lawn maintenence? I have not been able to find a good quality company anywhere. They all just want to mow, blow and go it seems.

Thanks..

Old 09-27-2018, 04:36 PM

I have not yet hired anyone. The builder said they would do one or two mows. However, that is now past and I need to hire someone. But I am not there so it is hard to know whom to hire. Sorry I am not more help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville