U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,043,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
The east coast can have cold winters When we retire moving over to the west coast Venice
for warmer winters
You have MUCH less chance of losing to a hurricane in FL than in NC. I do get it. I moved to Charlotte NC from Miami 34 yrs ago and then came Hugo!! BUT such a hurricane is a once in a lifetime type event and ice storms are far worse in NC than hurricanes. I am retiring BACK to FL next year when my son graduates from UNCC, with or without him. I need medical marijuana benefits and no personal taxes and a place to fish and oceans again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 PM

226 posts, read 811,432 times
Retired to Palm Coast and we just love it. We just purchased our one floor, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, house last month. We are about 5 miles from the beach. Near shopping, less than 2 miles from Doctors and Hospital, shopping eateries and the highway. A gym with a pool and silver sneaker classes. Plenty of dining along the beach front. Walking trails nearby. There are not alot of HOA communities here. Those that are, are the much more upscale living types. We were not interested in that life style, nor could we afford it! lol but I feel like I got it all! I dont think anyone would be disappointed here. I like St Augustine, and when I want to go spend the day I do, but I dont want to live there. too busy and over priced!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 AM

694 posts, read 401,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
Retired to Palm Coast and we just love it. We just purchased our one floor, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, house last month. We are about 5 miles from the beach. Near shopping, less than 2 miles from Doctors and Hospital, shopping eateries and the highway. A gym with a pool and silver sneaker classes. Plenty of dining along the beach front. Walking trails nearby. There are not alot of HOA communities here. Those that are, are the much more upscale living types. We were not interested in that life style, nor could we afford it! lol but I feel like I got it all! I dont think anyone would be disappointed here. I like St Augustine, and when I want to go spend the day I do, but I dont want to live there. too busy and over priced!
Which section? It really matters in Palm coast. Also we find PC has more traffic than St. Augustine, especially on the weekends.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:31 PM

226 posts, read 811,432 times
Default Are you kidding?

Palm Coast more traffic than St Augustine? Are you kidding me? City of St Augustine is a tourist destination, you can walk the city quicker than you can drive! Except for special events in Daytona when Palm Coast may get some of the crowds for hotels etc, we have very little traffic. I lived in the B section for 8 years, only traffic there was when the schools let out. I live in the U section now, no traffic at all, except on 100 around the entrance to 95. Sorry, I disagree with you on that one.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 3,713 times
Hi, I'm planning a trip to St Augustine soon to check it out for the first time. Does anyone know if there is a concern about ongoing flooding there, other than from a hurricane? Thanks

Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 AM

2,012 posts, read 3,080,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisermust View Post
Hi to all. Now thinking about retiring (1-2 yrs) to St Augustine or Palm Coast area from upstate NY. Had our hearts set on Myrtle Beach and were about to go down for our yearly vacation this year and look at houses and narrow down our preferred areas but then Florence hit and our vacation and potential homesites went under water--lots and lots of water. I guess Florence was a blessing in disguise because if we had moved down there already we would have lost our home and all its contents. Financial ruin at our ages (63&65). So now my sights are set on the north Atlantic coast of FL. For my remaining years on this earth I want to be in warmth and near the beach, my happy place. Would appreciate hearing from other northern transplant retirees pros and cons of both St. Augustine vs Palm Coast. Ideally would like to be no more than 10-15 mins from the beach (closer if possible), 3BR/2BA single-story with several arms lengths between me and my neighbors on all sides. Would like to avoid HOA's if possible as we don't have them up here and hubby and I are not keen on rules telling us if I can have a garden flag on my front lawn, what color flowers I can plant, etc etc. Budget is $175-$235K. Being close to bike/walking paths would be nice. Have never been to SA/PC area of FL but hoping it is a bit cooler than southern FL where my hubby's sister lives. Any recommendations as to specific areas to look at in either SA or PC would be helpful and names of good, honest helpful realtors for retirees would be appreciated. We now hope to take a vacation in late winter (Feb-Mar) next year and come down and scout the area out. Missing my yearly fix of the beach but looking forward to seeing what's available down in your neck of the woods. Tks...Deb
You're not going to get very close to the beach on the budget period. You need to readjust your expectations. You'll need to figure in pretty hefty property taxes at the beach also.

You might get a deal in Fernandina, maybe, but it would definitely be something much older and smaller than you are hoping for.

In any event, good luck and I hope you find something that suits you.

SS

Old 12-27-2019, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 3,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisermust View Post
Hi to all. Now thinking about retiring (1-2 yrs) to St Augustine or Palm Coast area from upstate NY. Had our hearts set on Myrtle Beach and were about to go down for our yearly vacation this year and look at houses and narrow down our preferred areas but then Florence hit and our vacation and potential homesites went under water--lots and lots of water. I guess Florence was a blessing in disguise because if we had moved down there already we would have lost our home and all its contents. Financial ruin at our ages (63&65). So now my sights are set on the north Atlantic coast of FL. For my remaining years on this earth I want to be in warmth and near the beach, my happy place. Would appreciate hearing from other northern transplant retirees pros and cons of both St. Augustine vs Palm Coast. Ideally would like to be no more than 10-15 mins from the beach (closer if possible), 3BR/2BA single-story with several arms lengths between me and my neighbors on all sides. Would like to avoid HOA's if possible as we don't have them up here and hubby and I are not keen on rules telling us if I can have a garden flag on my front lawn, what color flowers I can plant, etc etc. Budget is $175-$235K. Being close to bike/walking paths would be nice. Have never been to SA/PC area of FL but hoping it is a bit cooler than southern FL where my hubby's sister lives. Any recommendations as to specific areas to look at in either SA or PC would be helpful and names of good, honest helpful realtors for retirees would be appreciated. We now hope to take a vacation in late winter (Feb-Mar) next year and come down and scout the area out. Missing my yearly fix of the beach but looking forward to seeing what's available down in your neck of the woods. Tks...Deb
Hi, it has been a while since your inquiry. In it you said that you would be traveling down to ST Augustine/Palm Coast late 2019. Were you able to make the trip and were you successful? We are just a bit older than you and have been to that area several times to look. That was after four years of trips up and down Florida's gulf coast, inland from Lakeland up to Gainesville with a focus on Ocala, and Atlantic coast from Cocoa Beach, a veer through through the Orlando/Davenport area and back up the coast to Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island and St Augustine. Like others, we found St Augustine crowded, touristy, lots of traffic, and a lot of unfavorable element there. Flooding there and Jacksonville Beach is pretty common even when there is no hurricane around. We were not impressed with St Augustine at all and preferred the quieter Palm Coast area. If you want a NEW home, they are building homes in the low 2's for those over 55 at Matanzas Lakes. It is probably about 10-15 from the ocean, and just a spit west of 95. Lots of retail, gyms, restaurants and close-by a major hospital....It is just starting to build, will be a small development with low and probably lenient HOAs as the builders had just completed another one a bit further south. If you want no HOA at all you can find quite a selection of homes in the lettered areas, also west of 95 but close enough to be at the ocean in minutes. Some sections are known to be less desirable than others. Everyone told me to avoid the "R" streets. I was told the "E"s F's are good, "P's" are just okay. Over the course of many trips trying to focus in, we searched out all the street and found that assessment to be true, but only you can tell what is right for you. The lettered streets are a mixed bag of old and new, big and small, mansions and mud huts. You could easily find a resale there. There are also tons of lots, cheap, and ready and willing builders who will throw up a house and possibly keep it in your budget. If you search Zillow or Realtor you will see some have spec houses on lots ready for you. We are HOA type people and I do not like my neighbor painting his house iridescent colors or his kid jacking up his car on blocks and having loud parties til 3 am, so we passed on the letter streets. If you do see something that you like, make sure you check the flood zone status on the FEMA site or you could find yourself hit with a hefty flood insurance bill. If a resale check the year of the build as standards changed in the mid 90s after Andrew. That will help your insurance as well. This may be late but I hope it helps. I hope to hear how you made out or what your conclusions were.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:15 PM

383 posts, read 421,692 times
Our friends live in Palm Coast in the C section. They have a pool with lanai, dock and boat.
Purchased for a bit under $400k a few years ago. Such a nice area for the money. They feel a little isolated from the bigger cities, but the surroundings and cost of living make living there great for them.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:18 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,043,337 times
I am currently in Charlotte NC but from Miami 35 yrs ago and have been commuting to the Jax area since 2000. Newly retired, I am getting ready to make the same move with about the same exact living requirements as you have. Jax actually has the same day-to-day weather as Charlotte but no snow in winter and a tad more humidity in the summers. I moved to NC to experience Hurr. Hugo...the worst hurricane I have been through but mostly due to the tree canopy in NC vs what FL has. We had a hurricane hit us the past 2 years but no major damage with either one.
I have family in Port St Lucie and in Tampa. Both say don't venutre much more south than Flagler Beach for the constant sweat factor. I have been looking at the NC/SC coastal areas which would get me more 'bang for my housing buck' and there are lots of homes but you must pull FEMA records on floods and flood-planes and do your home work before buying. Also as in any area, if it sounds too good to be true, check flood records. I am needing medical marijuana, so I will probably find something in FL for that reason. At my age, I may just look for an acre or two and put a brand new MH on it and fence it. I would love to fish every day for as long s I am able but don't mind a 30 min ride to do so.
Good luck in your move!!

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 2,593 times
Mind sharing why you left B for U section. Currently live in Tampa area and looking for escape to less busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or