U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 03:19 AM

46 posts, read 72,834 times

Advertisements

Hi! Looking for some information about how Ponte Vedra Beach is for families. We will be relocating from Long Island NY later this year and have 3 boys (ages 9,8, and 5). We have been heavily looking at Mt Pleasant SC but wanted to also look in Florida. St John’s County looks to have good schools and Ponte Vedra Beach at the top in the county.

My questions are:

What neighborhoods have the most kids and are the safest? I would like my kids to be able to ride bikes around the neighborhood and meet up with friends.

If in an HOA are some more family friendly than others? Do they have activities and sports for the kids to join within the HOA (swim team for example)

What are the sports programs like for the elementary/middle school age?

Is there a walkable town area? How accessible is the beach? Is it easy to find parking?

Is there anything families should know before moving to the area?

Thanks for your input. We might try to visit in February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,374,859 times
What neighborhoods have the most kids and are the safest? I would like my kids to be able to ride bikes around the neighborhood and meet up with friends.

Not trying to be short but in all honesty, all neighborhoods in PVB are safe. Criminal activity you hear about around here are limited to shoplifting, occasional burglaries and teenagers tackling Christmas decorations. Neighborhoods/HOAs full of kids: If I had to pick one HOA that has the most kids, it would be Sawmill Lakes. Others include: TPC, Azalea Point, Odoms Mill

If in an HOA are some more family friendly than others? Do they have activities and sports for the kids to join within the HOA (swim team for example)

HOAs don't sponsor sports/swim teams. There are plenty of programs like PVAA (Ponte Vedra Athletic Association) that run baseball, softball, football, soccer basketball etc.. There's also I9 Sports: https://www.i9sports.com/. For swim, YMCA, Planet Swim, Sawgrass etc. all have swim teams.

Is there a walkable town area? How accessible is the beach? Is it easy to find parking?

PVB doesn't really have a "walkable downtown" so to speak. It has the Sawgrass Village shopping center and other strip mall type stores. Unless you belong to one of the 4 beach clubs, parking is difficult during nice beach weather weekends from March to October at the one free public beach in PVB (Mickler's Beach).

Here are some past threads you may want to read through. Lots of good info on PVB:

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ions-kids.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...lm-valley.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...oods-help.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...nte-verde.html

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 01-13-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 AM

110 posts, read 91,486 times
Hi! We are native LIers! You will love it down here. We have four kids and moved about 5 years ago and never looked back! We rented in Nocatee for a while because we got sold on the hype, but Nocatee became too big and over done for us, not to mention the new homes are now selling for beach prices and the schools are way over crowded, so we moved over the bridge to PVB. Actually we are in Palm Valley (we are west of A1A) and there are great neighborhoods here!

HOAs do not really have teams here, except Nocatee which has a giant swim team, but it is so large that it really doesn't compare to some of the other teams. Two of my kids swim for Planet Swim in Sawgrass (Sawgrass does not have its own team, but Planet Swim uses a facility in there for now, though they are building a new aquatic facility right near PVHS). I concur with Ivan about I9 and PVAA - they offer a lot of options and most families play through them.

As for neighborhoods, there are several. What is your price range because that will determine a lot. One of my favorite neighborhoods is Plantation Oaks and I also love Marsh Landing, but both of those are about $700 (needs some updating) to over $1M, so that may or may not work. Also, when people approach the "over $750k" mark some people prefer to go a bit smaller but closer to the beach. For example, Ponte Vedra By The Sea is from about $750-$1.1M and although the HOA doesn't have a lot of amenities like the two I mention above, you can walk to the beach in minutes.

Still other families decide to move to the Roscoe Blvd area where homes go from $400k in Hanover Forest (Hanover goes from $400s (small) to $750 bigger homes) and Roscoe on the water can go up to $3M. It really depends on size, what you want in a neighborhood and where in PVB is is.

Don't panic though, there are many neighborhoods that have homes $500-$800k as well - Sawmill Lakes and Odoms Mill are great family HOAs as well and have a community pool and sports courts, also located close to the schools and shopping. TPC side of Sawgrass is another place that I love. Some are older homes and need some work but they keep the community beautiful and many homes are starting to pop up that are already redone. The CC club side of Sawgrass comes with beach access but the homes are hitting very steep prices and some are god-awful 1970s in design, but again, some have been redone or could be redone without major structural changes.

I could go on and on but I think that your trip here will show you that it beats Mt Pleasant for few reasons - the Charleston area schools cannot compete with PVB schools and Florida offers so many programs for their schools - unheard of things that SC doesnt have. They are pretty progressive down here. My son is at PVHS and in the collegiate HS program which means he will earn his AA degree at the same time as his HS diploma and that guarantees acceptance to some of the State universities and depending on his final GPA and SAT scores, he may be eligible for Bright Futures scholarships (up to completely paid for 4-yr degree and 5-yr BA/MS programs at the best universities) https://www.floridastudentfinanciala...DF/FAS-FMS.pdf Of course not each student gets free college but there are levels they can earn. They also offer career academies that your incoming freshman or sophomore can apply for - PVHS offers Business and Marketing, IT, bio-medical research (I am not sure what the bio-med one if exactly, but they have one) and International Business. All St Johns HS have academies and if accepted your child can attend outside their school zone, but you have to get them there. Beware though, this was the first year that kids got turned away as the schools are growing fast. PVHS is about the size of Ward Melville in Setauket (Thats where I went) and nease is bigger than Syosset - they now have 2700 kids I think vs. Syosset's 2200...just to give you an idea. PVHS is also sort of in line with Ward Melville bc it has great athletics with Lacrosse being one of their claims to fame. It's a pretty nice school too, only 10 years old and has a lot of offerings for the kids.

Come take a trip - you will love it! Would be happy to meet a fellow LI-er and chat over coffee! :-)

Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 AM

33 posts, read 18,876 times
Great info on these pages. Every once in awhile I vascillate between pvb and s Florida, but this info is superbly helpful. Making my second trip to pvb tomorrow in fact. Going to play all of the courses I’d be interested in joining. I’m personally very interested in the palm valley area.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 AM

383 posts, read 293,172 times
LOL at the Christmas Decor tackling Ivan. Some of my friends were victims of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or