Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:38 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound14 View Post
Portland definitely has this problem.. i can tell you that. This Iowa guy was referring to Jacksonville not being friendly though huh?

I don't know what to say but with everything I been reading, seems like I would like Jacksonville but if its just getting overcrowded like other cities are, I'd rather not move there. I am looking for sunbelt cities to live in or metro areas, areas of lesser cost. I am in the Portland area and its just too depressing weather wise and socially and looking for a change.
Jacksonville isn’t very friendly. There are those here that get shocked when we talk to them first. Even folks in churches here aren’t that friendly and that really surprised us. Then again, we don’t discuss the same things people here in Jacksonville do, as in rodeo action, mountains, wildlife, freshwater fishing and Western stuff. They haven’t got a clue what we are talking about. But, Jacksonville isn’t Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakota’s or the High Plains States.

As far as Jacksonville’s growth, it is REALLY growing and fast! Definitely NOT a retirement area!

Old 04-01-2019, 08:42 AM

486 posts, read 515,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound14 View Post
Portland definitely has this problem.. i can tell you that. This Iowa guy was referring to Jacksonville not being friendly though huh?

I don't know what to say but with everything I been reading, seems like I would like Jacksonville but if its just getting overcrowded like other cities are, I'd rather not move there. I am looking for sunbelt cities to live in or metro areas, areas of lesser cost. I am in the Portland area and its just too depressing weather wise and socially and looking for a change.
I am not sure I would have this impression of this area. You have to understand that Loveboating is becoming the chief executive officer of the "I hate Jacksonville" Club here on City-data, so take their negativity with a grain of salt. My experience with people who want to leave an area(I have been one before), is that once you are in the mindset to leave, you look for reasons to hate where you are to justify your decisions. Its just human nature.

Having lived in the Northeast, where people are truly cold until they know you, people are very friendly and open here. We commonly strike up conversations everywhere we go. I have to drag my wife out of some small boutique stores or else she will talk to the owners forever for example.

Jacksonville is a younger crowd, with the median age being around 40 last I saw, instead of 45+ for the rest of the state. Because of this it does not cater to the retiree crowd as much. It is focused on being family friendly in the suburbs, and millenial friendly in the Jax beach, Riverside, Avondale, San Marco areas.

Retirees seem to congregate more in the St Augustine area.

Also with the military presence, this is a very transient area for a lot of young families, which makes it easier to strike up conversations.. because they are looking for new people to talk to also... but again we are talking younger people here.

I would suggest you just come down for a visit. Do your research first. The city is HUGE with different feelings in different areas. There should be a pocket for just about everyone. The weather is for sure amazing though!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I am not sure I would have this impression of this area. You have to understand that Loveboating is becoming the chief executive officer of the "I hate Jacksonville" Club here on City-data, so take their negativity with a grain of salt. My experience with people who want to leave an area(I have been one before), is that once you are in the mindset to leave, you look for reasons to hate where you are to justify your decisions. Its just human nature.

Having lived in the Northeast, where people are truly cold until they know you, people are very friendly and open here. We commonly strike up conversations everywhere we go. I have to drag my wife out of some small boutique stores or else she will talk to the owners forever for example.

Jacksonville is a younger crowd, with the median age being around 40 last I saw, instead of 45+ for the rest of the state. Because of this it does not cater to the retiree crowd as much. It is focused on being family friendly in the suburbs, and millenial friendly in the Jax beach, Riverside, Avondale, San Marco areas.

Retirees seem to congregate more in the St Augustine area.

Also with the military presence, this is a very transient area for a lot of young families, which makes it easier to strike up conversations.. because they are looking for new people to talk to also... but again we are talking younger people here.

I would suggest you just come down for a visit. Do your research first. The city is HUGE with different feelings in different areas. There should be a pocket for just about everyone. The weather is for sure amazing though!
I DON'T hate Jacksonville, it's just that it's turned out not to be for us. However, there are those, in another thread, that do indeed "hate" Jacksonville and have given specifics for why.

Please do take what I've said "with a grain of salt" and see for yourself. It's pretty obvious that not everyone in the U.S. likes Jacksonville, or even Florida. There are still millions of people who live in snow-belts all over the U.S., including Chicago, NY and other states and have never given a thought about moving to anywhere in Florida.

The weather can be (note the words "can be") amazing, until the high, on a day during the winter is 45 and you are saying to yourself "I can't believe it could get this cold anywhere in Florida". Then, the locals here in Jacksonville, will tell you "you have to move to central Florida or even more south, to escape a 45 high day. Then, there are those that can completely handle the high humidity and, of course, those that can't and leave. Those are the ones, in other Threads, that will complain about living in Florida. Then, hurricane season hits and one is approaching Jacksonville. Time to leave your apartment or house and pray a lot. Irma was like that, as well as Mathew.

Snowbirds don't really care about the hurricane season, because they are gone up north. They have hurricane insurance, so if they lose everything...….."oh well". But, they sure aren't going to stay in Florida during the summer months and possibly have to endure a hurricane or tropical storm.

So, whatever people on this thread say about me is most likely true, but just to be sure I'm not lying, come here in the middle of the summer and feel that lovely humidity and, without a doubt, stick around for an upcoming hurricane. It will be exciting!

Old 04-01-2019, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 835 times
Awesome. Thanks so much. While I have your attention, any idea what the live music scene is like in Fernandina Beach? Do we need to go to Jacksonville for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville