Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:16 PM

16 posts, read 19,427 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Nocatee and are considering joining a beach club. Can someone shine a light on the different options, prices, reviews? We are looking for somewhere that has beach access, childcare available on-site and fitness amenities close to Nocatee. We don’t need golf or tennis since we don’t play. Also, a younger demographic would be ideal since we’re under 35 with young children. Would like other young families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 05:50 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
Start here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...nte-verde.html

I'm not sure what the costs are anymore for the other 3 clubs (PVI&C, Lodge and Club, Cabana) but I'm fairly certain they have all gone up in price across the board since we looked at them back in 2015.

If you don't need golf or tennis then you're primarily looking at either Lodge and Club or Cabana. Cabana being the cheapest option for both initiation and monthly dues. Initiation for Lodge is probably in the $15k range. Cabana likely about $8-$10k at this point (was ~$7500 back in 2015/2016).

Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 PM

6,408 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtyler15 View Post
We are moving to Nocatee and are considering joining a beach club. Can someone shine a light on the different options, prices, reviews? We are looking for somewhere that has beach access, childcare available on-site and fitness amenities close to Nocatee. We don’t need golf or tennis since we don’t play. Also, a younger demographic would be ideal since we’re under 35 with young children. Would like other young families.
I doubt if you will find a younger demographic at any of the clubs. We recently attended an event at Sawgrass CC and the average age was at least 70. Most of the people wealthy enough to join the clubs and afford the monthly dues are seniors. Who would pay that kind of money if you are busy working and attending to your young family. What you are looking for doesn't exist in PVB. I would avoid the Cabana because its owned by the Marriott and loaded with guests of the hotel. There is plenty of free beach access in addition to Mickler if you go south on A1A. I would also avoid the Sonanta Beach Club since its a long drive.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I doubt if you will find a younger demographic at any of the clubs. We recently attended an event at Sawgrass CC and the average age was at least 70. Most of the people wealthy enough to join the clubs and afford the monthly dues are seniors. Who would pay that kind of money if you are busy working and attending to your young family. What you are looking for doesn't exist in PVB. I would avoid the Cabana because its owned by the Marriott and loaded with guests of the hotel. There is plenty of free beach access in addition to Mickler if you go south on A1A. I would also avoid the Sonanta Beach Club since its a long drive.
Not sure which event you attended but you're right, most of those theme type dinners and special adult events at Sawgrass CC attract older folks but you can't confuse that with other activities they have for younger families which you necessarily wouldn't see. Family fun nights every weekend at the beach club with comp beer from Memorial day through Labor Day (it's all kids and younger adults), Easter egg hunts, July 4th celebrations, Halloween party at the beach, campfires at the beach etc. etc.

In terms of demographic, there are 1,475 member families at Sawgrass CC which total 3,200 people. Of that, 2640 are adults (over age 18) and 560 are less than 18 years old. Sawgrass also lets younger families pay their initiation in installments through age 45 under the junior exec social membership. So in theory, if the OP wanted to join, he would pay $28k over 11 years interest free with monthly dues of ~ $360. You don't have to be filthy rich to afford that.

I agree, avoid the Serenata down by S. PVB/Vilano at all cost.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 PM

260 posts, read 387,817 times
We belong to the PVI & C and have a social membership and gym membership. In my opinion there is a wide range of ages from young children to seniors. I know they have children’s activities. They are currently redoing the family pool. The beach area is beautiful, the restaurants are nice. Initiation fee is $30,000 and membership fees are on going.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:16 AM

6,408 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Those clubs are expensive to join and expensive ongoing. People should not get the wrong impression that you pay your initiaition and monthly fees and thats it. There are assessments, every meal and activity are extra, there are minimum tip and food purchase requirements at some clubs. You can easily spend 3-400 month more. It depends on your definition of "filthy rich" you have to be well off to join and maintain a memebership.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Those clubs are expensive to join and expensive ongoing. People should not get the wrong impression that you pay your initiaition and monthly fees and thats it. There are assessments, every meal and activity are extra, there are minimum tip and food purchase requirements at some clubs. You can easily spend 3-400 month more. It depends on your definition of "filthy rich" you have to be well off to join and maintain a memebership.
You're right about the extras and it does add up but we knew that going in and so do 99% of the people that join. Our monthly bill averages about $500 -$600/month and we're fairly conservative. I will say that Sawgrass CC doesn't try to rip you off in that regard. They're not for profit so they charge just enough to maintain the day-to-day. Food minimum for a family is $750 and we typically end up spending about $1,000/yr. They also provide childcare/babysitting service for $6/hour and each additional child is $3/hour which includes dinner on the weekends.

We enjoy eating there and the food is better than 90% of the restaurants in PVB so I have no complaints. I look at it this way, we're basically redirecting the money we'd spend at sub par restaurants around here to the club. When we go to the beach every weekend, we simply pack our cooler with beer, wine etc. and pick up a sub at Publix. My kid gets a Crustable PB&J. We'd be broke if we bought everything at the club.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:26 PM

27 posts, read 23,608 times
What kind of sailboat do you have?" "It's a friend boat".!

Now substitute "sailboat" with "beach club"

Looks to me like a good social and educational investment anyway.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:45 PM

260 posts, read 387,817 times
There are no minimum purchases at the PVI&C.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 19,427 times
Wanted to try and get some additional thoughts on this. I think it would be between PVIC and Lodge and Club. Young family with a 3 year old and 1 year old. Mainly want to use the beach, gym and daycare for dinners at the club. Is PVIC worth the extra money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville