Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Before I post negatively...

I am a frequent reader of this and a few other forums on this site, but dont always feel the need to post, just to read. I am usually a pretty positive person. As a young person I love diversity and several other places even more than Jacksonville. Can you believe it? Anyway, I need to finally lower my maturity level and get something out that bugs me a lot (and i dont know why since this is a computer forum hehe).

Vdecapio,

Moderator cut: edit...taking out the personal stuff...I have lived in Miami, Jacksonville, and now downtown Atlanta. I do like them all, and for each different reasons. (that is of course because each is entirely different). Diversity, I just talked with a friend of mine at the university of miami, a place where you would think is extremely diverse. Well, there are a lot of ethnicities, true, but they sure as hell do not interact with each other once they join their countries' clubs and fraternities. They DO stick just with each other. Riveree, you are one of the top posters (and best posters) on this site, why defend Vdecapio's opinion of diversity with an example. I love how people are growing up nowadays side by side.

Furthermore, I have room to speak, even though you probably will not say so. Half my family comes from Sweden and immigrated to Chicago (and one to Austin, and now I have an uncle in Atlanta so we travel). Of course they did not go to an all Swedish neighborhood, so as a result they have many friends across the board. If they had, (which there is no such thing) my mom would not have met my dad in miami.

Lastly, there are few places in America that fit your bill. NY, NJ, Philly, Boston, DC kinda, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, LA, and Miami kinda. Miami is not as ethnically divided as you think, so obviously you think Hispanic means one thing. Most neighborhoods are literally just Hispanic across the board with maybe some where on group kinda stands out. There is no Chinatown or little italy, there are black neighborhoods, and lots of them like little old jacksonville, and there are white neighborhoods. The grass is hardly greener on the other side. Get your facts straight.
Jsimms,

Thanks again for your comments from Atlanta. Miami is an international city. There are people there from Europe, basically all the central and south american countries, the caribbean, etc. It is pretty mixed. I can feel diversity when I go there....although as you said it is hispanic diversity for the most part.

When I go out to places and meet people, if I hear languages I don't know and everybody I meet is from somewhere else.....to me that is diversity. In Miami and Jersey actually, I can find it whether I go into an enclave or not. Everybody I would meet was not American....or at least they were 1st generation. The point is that in Jacksonville, I don't hear foreign languages or meet foreign born people like I would in places like Jersey and Miami. Therefore, I would have to conclude that Jacksonville is not as diverse as most cities in Florida, the northeast, the major cities in California, the major cities in Texas, Chicago, etc., etc. Montrael, Ottawa, Toronto, etc. etc. That fact is if diversity is important Jacksonville is not the place to find it. Relatively, it is found in much higher amounts elsewhere including Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,376 times
would it not be fair to say that jax is pretty evenly split into the following three classes:

33.33333% - white
33.33333% - black
33.33333% - redneck
.000001% - other

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM

7 posts, read 29,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
We're defining diversity in pretty much the same way. In my neighborhood in Intracoastal West, my immediate neighbors were Phillipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Armenian, Korean, Eastern European (not sure exact country ), a lesbian couple, and a muslim family. The nearest white people that lived near me were in a mixed racial family. White was definitely not the majority in the neighborhood, it was maybe 40%. Many languages were spoken and styles of dress (women in muslim attire, etc.).

But again, I like diversity and look for it when choosing a place to live. I've also been here long enough to know where to find diversity and where to find enclaves of "good old boys" .

what i meant by diversity is that theres a mixture of race every where i step, in any part of the city. In Toronto, you'll see all kinds of race when ur in the mall, or just driving around all over the city.. thats what i meant.

All this info is really really good.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
would it not be fair to say that jax is pretty evenly split into the following three classes:

33.33333% - white
33.33333% - black
33.33333% - redneck
.000001% - other
.... what the heck, Redneck?? How is that a race??

Old 04-15-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surewin View Post
what i meant by diversity is that theres a mixture of race every where i step, in any part of the city. In Toronto, you'll see all kinds of race when ur in the mall, or just driving around all over the city.. thats what i meant.

All this info is really really good.
Toronto is much more diverse than Jacksonville. Much more. Toronto is an international city. Miami, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Philadelphia, DC, Boston, Montreal, Orlando-----all international cities. International why? Because of diversity. You will see it everywhere, you don't have to go into an enclave to find it....as surewin said.

Jacksonville----maybe to Toronto's level when our kids have kids.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post

33.33333% - white
33.33333% - black
33.33333% - redneck
.000001% - other
Yeah, the redneck enclave on the north side is one place I don't go to too often.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 AM

you can find them usually in pep boys buying lift kits for the dualie, or out at pecan park flea market getting leather goods, ha ha.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
Rednecks are getting a bad rap on this board. You must not know many rednecks or you wouldn't talk about them like that. Your generalities are telling.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Rednecks are getting a bad rap on this board. You must not know many rednecks or you wouldn't talk about them like that. Your generalities are telling.
I was thinking the same thing, they are some of the most kind, caring people I have ever met.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM

you must be members of the redneck family, ha ha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville