Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times

Advertisements

Its All Good !!!!! Jacksonville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,602 times
Go JACKSONVILLE! i'll be raging at the beach and doing my obligatory pass through the Ritz when i am there in two weeks...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
Go JACKSONVILLE! i'll be raging at the beach and doing my obligatory pass through the Ritz when i am there in two weeks...
Uh-oh! Watch out!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 AM

hide your wives, this kid doesn't play.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
I am going to do a week of positive-only posts to make you guys happy. All next week. As long as you are in town Jimbo13. We'll celebrate your return to Jax with a good old week of postive posting.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I am going to do a week of positive-only posts to make you guys happy. All next week. As long as you are in town Jimbo13. We'll celebrate your return to Jax with a good old week of postive posting.
Hurray & good for you vdeapio! Here's a Burma Shave ad for all of us on this thread:

To honor JImbo's return
For one week of the year
We'll post positive comments
Let's all have a cheer!
... Jacksonville

Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 PM

ha ha. you guys are nutty for a bunch of good ol boys.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
(my responses are inside your quote)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I thought Jacksonville was a tier below big-city, but after a few weeks I found out it was more than a few tiers below big-city. I also thought it had the potential to develop into a big city, but with the stubborn, backwards mindset among established powers here and the excess of land still available to develop in all directions (except towards the Atlantic) this place has a lot of room for growth. If the transplants and immigrants keep coming here for jobs, perhaps in about 50 years this place will be a tier below big-city.

I think it really is a second-tier city though. NYC, Chicago, Boston, Miami, LA....I think of these as first-tier. Jacksonville, Charlotte, Nashville....I would consider these second-tier. Now if you love country music, you're going to need to go to Nashville, there's nothing comparable to Printer's Alley in Jacksonville. But if you plan on doing a lot of surfing, forget Nashville, you're going to need to be in Jacksonville.

Every city has its' strong points and weak points, people in general are just less forgiving of the shortcomings of second-tier cities. With a second-tier city, you're going to need to follow its' strong points when choosing the city.

It has been dissapointing realizing that Jacksonville is a smaller town than I expected. But, someone has to post the reality. The reason it seems repetitive is because people ask the same questions over and over again. Not to their fault, but the nature of this site. If I wasn't on here posting that there was little diversity, a lack of olives, and a lack of good food in general people might make the mistake I did.

Compared to NYC, I can see how you'd say there is a lack of diversity, but compared to much of America, Jacksonville is fairly diverse - most of the the Eastern Seaboard is....try going to Iowa .

And just a comment about moving here not knowing what to expect. It is very difficult to get a complete feel for an area in a week....while you are at a current job in Jersey and trying to make a move behind a companies back so to speak. You can't take weeks and weeks off to get a complete feel for the place. Also, I think a lot of people move here to try out the culture. If you come with family and your not as egotistical as me you probably like it and stay.....but if your me and really really can't take the culture or lack there of you leave after a year....hopefully.

I totally agree. It's very hard to know if you'll like a place until you live there. All you can do is give it a fair shot, and I think that's what everyone's trying to convince you to do .

Reality is ITS NOT ALL GOOD for everybody. Most (not all...probably 75%) of the young professional transplants I meet have the same thoughts as I....so I am like the voice of their opinions. That is truth.

Do you guys watch the Daily Show. I remember they had that segment a week or so back about the Bush Administration saying that both negative and positive news of Iraq was always turned into positive by the Bush Administration.....ITS ALL GOOD. That is what I feel like from this site.....most of the posters always say Jacksonville IS ALL GOOD...when in reality that is certainly not the case with Jacksonville or any city for that matter.
I love the Daily Show ! But then you mentioned something about the Bush Administration and you lost my interest there......

Anyway, I look forward to your week of positive-only posts, Vdecapio , and I'm FedExing you a pair of my rose-colored glasses to help you out .

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 29,857 times
Thanks guys for all the replys. I had the chance to visit Jacksonville for a day. The company flew me down. I got to see jacksonville first hand. and i'm impress. I just have to decided weather im gonna take the job or not.

Does any one know any websites where i can start looking for an apartment ?? looking in the affordable range.. Thanks let me know please ??

Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Apartments for rent - ApartmentFinder.com
&
Apartments for rent: Apartment Guide, your free apartment finder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville