Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 PM

34 posts, read 49,715 times

Advertisements

So we are almost done with our house and know we will need a softener. We had it pre-plumbed for a softener, but as I'm reading about all of my options, it starts to get overwhelming. Based on JEA saying that the water coming out of their 3 FB area plants is very hard water, I am thinking about getting a salt based softener, but want to ask what set ups others in the hive have and how they like them. I'm open to whole house softening and filtering. Please let me know what your results have been! Thanks.

Soflguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
Affordable Water (see link below) came highly recommended and we used them when we bought our house in 2015. The total cost at the time was $1,700 including labor for the salt based water softner. They recommend using Morton's Solar Salt (blue/white bag) which is sold at Sam's Club for $5 per 40lb bag. You can find the salt elsewhere but they'll cost ~ $6-$8. Affordable Water also has a delivery service where if you give them your garage code, they'll fill your salt tank at $8 per bag. We typically go through 2 bags per month (system uses 10lbs of salt for each regeneration cycle - our system regenerates roughly every 3-4 days based on usage for our family of 3).

We opted for their Ultimate II system (as did our in-laws here in PVB) which has a carbon cap that filters out chlorine which is prevalent in this area. They do a lot of work here in PVB but they're based in Jax so they'll go anywhere. It's been 4 yrs+ and we've been very happy with the system as well as their service.

https://www.affordablewaterjax.com/

Ultimate II:

https://www.affordablewaterjax.com/p...ltimate-II.pdf

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 04-17-2019 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 AM

306 posts, read 350,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Affordable Water (see link below) came highly recommended and we used them when we bought our house in 2015. The total cost at the time was $1,700 including labor for the salt based water softner. They recommend using Morton's Solar Salt (blue/white bag) which is sold at Sam's Club for $5 per 40lb bag. You can find the salt elsewhere but they'll cost ~ $6-$8. Affordable Water also has a delivery service where if you give them your garage code, they'll fill your salt tank at $8 per bag. We typically go through 2 bags per month (system uses 10lbs of salt for each regeneration cycle - our system regenerates roughly every 3-4 days based on usage for our family of 3).

We opted for their Ultimate II system (as did our in-laws here in PVB) which has a carbon cap that filters out chlorine which is prevalent in this area. They do a lot of work here in PVB but they're based in Jax so they'll go anywhere. It's been 4 yrs+ and we've been very happy with the system as well as their service.

Ultimate II:

What is the recommended product for those with health concerns such as Hypertension ?

I see they mention "All of Affordable Water’s softening systems can use potassium chloride" . How well does potassium chloride work as compared with sodium ? Are they equally effective ?

Other than the cost (I see where potassium costs much more) are there any other downsides to using potassium ? And are there any other alternatives to using sodium or potassium ?

Old 04-17-2019, 05:46 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
What is the recommended product for those with health concerns such as Hypertension ?

I see they mention "All of Affordable Water’s softening systems can use potassium chloride" . How well does potassium chloride work as compared with sodium ? Are they equally effective ?

Other than the cost (I see where potassium costs much more) are there any other downsides to using potassium ? And are there any other alternatives to using sodium or potassium ?
Sorry, I really have no idea. Maybe someone can chime in or you can call them and they'll go over which system will work better for you. We drink bottled water so it's not a concern for us.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I really have no idea. Maybe someone can chime in or you can call them and they'll go over which system will work better for you. We drink bottled water so it's not a concern for us.

Thanks Ivan...

Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 PM

34 posts, read 49,715 times
Quote:

Ultimate II:

Thanks for the recommendation, i will check in to them. That sounds like what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any experience drinking their softened water... any issues with increased sodium intake?

Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,738,487 times
Quote:

I will tell you what I tell my customers: "I'm NOT a doctor - you should discuss that with yours." I will also tell you that my discussion with MY cardiologist was "You get more salt from eating canned green beans".

Potassium chloride is SLIGHTLY less effective - I generally "up" the dosage by about 2 lbs per cubic foot. Operating costs are the only downside I've ever seen, and I've got a number of customers that use it.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Ultimate II:

Now, perhaps your water is VERY hard, but in order for a softener to consume 80 lbs of salt per month at 10 lbs/cu ft (which is a high setting), you'd have to be using a LOT of water. In this area (water hardness of 17 grains/gallon), that would translate into 8,000 gallons of water - but I set my customers at 8 lbs/cu ft without any issues. Note that the national average water consumption is 50 gallons per person per day - you might use more or less. I'd also recommend their 5600D model - that unit has been in use for over 40 years now, and is about as bullet-proof as any I've ever used.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Potassium chloride is SLIGHTLY less effective - I generally "up" the dosage by about 2 lbs per cubic foot. Operating costs are the only downside I've ever seen, and I've got a number of customers that use it.

Thanks for clearing that up TR, cost is one consideration but effectiveness is another. It seems they are for the most part equally effective.

Just curious, if you start with salt can you then switch to potassium with the same system ?

Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up TR, cost is one consideration but effectiveness is another. It seems they are for the most part equally effective.

Just curious, if you start with salt can you then switch to potassium with the same system ?
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville