Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 PM

11 posts, read 13,835 times

Advertisements

My family and I visited St. Augustine and Nocatee during the Spring and loved it. We are mom, dad, daughter 9 and son 10. We will be moving from the California coast where we enjoy surfing and being at the beach. We want to find a community that is easy going, fun, lots of kids to play with and not uptight. Ultimately looking for a welcoming vibe as we will not know anyone but our realtor at this point. Locatee was darling and fun, but wondering if it's REAL. We'd love to find out if the schools are welcoming to newcomers, if they are uptight at all and if kids find friends easily. Side note - our kids find friends easily so as long as someone asks them to play they will. It wouldn't take much, but just wanted to know if they'd find that experience there. The other area is PVB. We like that too, but know nothing except it's pretty and closer to the beach. Our ultimate goal is to find a place where the kids will feel a sense of community rather quickly and feel welcomed.

Our daughter is a level 4 competitive gymnast and we will be looking for a gym for her and our son does baseball, football and wants to do basketball - so any information on all of that would be really helpful.

Thanks for any insight!!

Caroline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:03 AM

661 posts, read 867,168 times
St Augustine IMO is the clear winner in terms of coastal living, laid back vibe, better for surfing (better waves, more beach access), less uptight etc....Downtown St Aug is extremely crowded with tourism but it's what makes the city thrive. It's more 'real' which is what you asked about.

The schools in St Aug are good but probably don't score the high grades as much as schools in northern St Johns where Nocatee and PVB are.

PVB and Nocatee win in terms of raising kids in a community that offers lots to do in a safe environment while being close to beaches. It's a quick drive to St Augustine (and Jacksonville) if you want to score better waves or hang out and do beachy things. The beaches in PVB have limited public access, are very crowded and just aren't appealing for surfers. I'm a surfer btw albeit a middle aged slower one.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Thanks for your feedback. We def want good schools so thats priority one. Two would be a good vibe and fun environment without uptight people - at least the majority - the overall feeling. Three - and in our earlier years this would have easily been number one is being close to good surf. We surfed a little at St. Augustine beach while we were there in April and it was really fun. What other surf spots are there within a 30 min drive worth checking out on our next strip in August. My husband will likely try to get a surf in any day he can once we move and I'm sure will hope to find some buddies to surf with. (he's middle aged and slower surfer now too - hehe).

Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM

30 minutes north of PVB/Nocatee is a great city park and beach called Hanna Park. The northern most parking lot (#1) is called 'The Poles'. This is the best surf break north of New Smyrna beach. In August, the waves could either be completely flat or we might have some activity from the tropics as we approach peak hurricane season.

For just getting in an after work surf or something like that, you can live in Nocatee or PVB and surf at Mickler's which is the closest public access in the area. It's fine for a quick surf but not a very good break.

If you want more house for your money and lots of close convenient activities for kids and adults, Nocatee would get my vote. It would also not be as uptight/keeping up with the Jones's as PVB is.

If you have a higher budget and want to be closer to the ocean, then PVB is really nice. It is more upscale and on a more natural organic scale as it's been around for decades. Nocatee is a master planned community so some of it seems kinda forced. As far as master planned communities, nocatee does it well.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Good to know! Nocatee is a pretty quick drive to Mickler Beach so that's good if we just wanna get a walk or quick surf in. Do you know if there are any beaches that allow your dogs to run off leash?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Hope View Post
Good to know! Nocatee is a pretty quick drive to Mickler Beach so that's good if we just wanna get a walk or quick surf in. Do you know if there are any beaches that allow your dogs to run off leash?
I believe Vilano beach does not require leash. Vilano beach is just a quick 20 minute drive south of PVB and is a quaint little beach village. It also has some gnarley shorepound for skimboarding, bodyboarding and at the right tide,...surfing.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I believe Vilano beach does not require leash. Vilano beach is just a quick 20 minute drive south of PVB and is a quaint little beach village. It also has some gnarley shorepound for skimboarding, bodyboarding and at the right tide,...surfing.
Ok maybe Vilano does require leash. What I would do is park at one of the Guana beach lots in between PVB and Vilano and let my dog run free there as long as not too many people are around. These areas are often uncrowded during the week and in the winter.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:47 PM

989 posts, read 769,172 times
St. Augustine beach seems to be a well kept secret, I have never seen it crowded like other beaches. We live just within walking distance from it and even at peak time there is a lot of space. you can drive on it also so getting to a nice secluded spot is very easy.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 PM

103 posts, read 139,683 times
First Coast Gymnastics
Above Athletic Center
14797 Philips Hwy
Jacksonville, FL 32256
Phone: (904) 260-1983
http://www.firstcoastgymnastics.com/

Highly recommend. My 12 year old competitive gymnast has been there since preschool, we love it!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Thanks, Sunlover23. We were actually able to let her practice for a day with the level 4s at first coast while were there in April. They were awesome and the girls were extremely sweet to her. she felt very comfortable. Good to hear!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville