U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,107,181 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a lot of private messages asking me about what builders in this area are doing quality work, and my time constraints are preventing me from answering all of you individually.

So, I've compiled a list of the builders in our area that are still, for the most part, doing quality construction. The caveat to this is some may or may not be doing consistent quality across all their communities. An *asterisk by the name denotes the ones I know for sure are doing 100% consistent quality across all their neighborhoods. Please do your own due diligence and speak to the people who live in the community where you are considering moving, and always hire a private inspector. I have lots of other posts on this board that deal directly with wall systems and moisture intrusion related issues, so please peruse those to educate yourself as well. I'll answer questions as time allows.

These rankings are purely my own opinion having been involved in the construction industry in NE Florida for over 20 years. This list is subject to change at any time.

1. Drees Homes*
2. John Merrill Homes*
3. Piper Homes*
4. Trademark Homes*
5. Cottage Home Company*
6. UniFlorida IV*
7. Cole Builders*
8. Coast Homes*
9. Heritage Homes*
10. Jason Hursey Construction*
11. Infinity Builders*
12. MB Builders*
13. Legacy Builders
14. Dean Russell Construction
15. Pulte Homes/Del Webb
16. Pillar Construction*
17. Cox Development Group
18. Avreal Construction*
19. Riverside Homes
20. Dostie Homes
21. David Weekley Homes
22. Young American Homes
23. Dream Finders Homes

Some of these only build very large upscale houses, some build on your lot, and some are in full master planned communities, so there should be something for everyone in this list. I wish all of you the best and to everyone moving here from out of State, Welcome to Florida!

SS
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM
PF2

11 posts, read 6,206 times
Thanks very much!!!!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 AM

211 posts, read 154,478 times
Thank you SS, as usual your posts are invaluable to those of us considering a move to SJ.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM

93 posts, read 45,364 times
SS - You always provide such great information that we'd otherwise not have! Appreciate your posts greatly.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
SS - You always provide such great information that we'd otherwise not have! Appreciate your posts greatly.
You're quite welcome. I'm seeing some ridiculously bad work out there now, so if just one of my posts saves a couple families from major heartache, it's worth it.

I just became involved consulting on yet another multi-million dollar construction defect lawsuit on a multi-family project here locally, so these problems that once had tapered off are on the rise again. I can't give specifics of the case for obvious reasons, but I can tell you that the major problems that are occurring, and are a common theme among most cases, is that the stucco was applied too thin in many, many locations, including the critical wall to roof intersections.

The stucco, which should be a full 7/8" upon completion, was only 1/4" in many areas. I'm sure the builder was quite proud of getting the best price on the stucco installation when the project was being built, and now they pay the price.

The housewrap on these buildings were all done properly, but because the wall system was overloaded by an improperly applied stucco system, along with some window and trim installation issues, the wall simply could not handle the influx of moisture and is now failing.

The construction industry is unfortunately a reactive one, not a proactive one. It's more important than ever for new home buyers to be the proactive force in the quality of their construction.

SS

Old 06-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
Responses like this are what keep my coming back. Thank you for the kind words.

SS

Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
Thank you for this post I have referenced it several times and walked away from several build because of it. Is there anything we can do if we are considering a build with a builder who is not in your list (or is in the list) to get in front of potential issues? A checklist? List of questions about the build process to ask the builder? Key times to visit and check the construction? Hiring a private inspector to come at key points in the build?

Thanks for your advice. It is very much appreciated.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonyHeart View Post
Thank you for this post I have referenced it several times and walked away from several build because of it. Is there anything we can do if we are considering a build with a builder who is not in your list (or is in the list) to get in front of potential issues? A checklist? List of questions about the build process to ask the builder? Key times to visit and check the construction? Hiring a private inspector to come at key points in the build?

Thanks for your advice. It is very much appreciated.
My first advice would be if they aren't in the list, don't use them. My secondary advice, in the event you don't take the primary advice, is yes, absolutely hire a private inspector. The questions you're asking involve very detailed answers which would be suitable for a home inspector to answer.

Thanks!

THWT

Old 10-29-2019, 07:43 AM

Because this:

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...rton/903383970

https://mylennarhome.com/complaint-f...eral-pam-bondi

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...p/77-620996933

https://www.ansbacher.net/about-us/recent-results/

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or