Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM
PF2 PF2 started this thread

12 posts, read 13,956 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are strongly considering building a home in the new Del Webb community that is coming this summer. Pulte is the builder for these. Does anyone have any personal experiences to share? We understand the type of community it will be and are more concerned about the quality and building process. We live in the DC area, but our realtor will visit weekly. Also, can/should we get inspections during the process? Also any info on Artisan Lakes, now Lennar? Both are 55 plus. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:37 AM

129 posts, read 82,350 times
I don't live anywhere near Florida but Pulte built our home in the Midwest in 2009. ABSOLUTELY get inspections during the process. They failed to put any insulation in the back half of the house, which I would not have known until the bathroom pipes froze and cost us thousands of dollars in repairs. Didn't happen to us because our inspector crawled through the attic all the way back to the end of the house. They assumed that most people buying a brand-new home would not pay the $350 for an inspection and (at most) would possibly stand at the attic entrance and see insulation and figure it was all the way back the full length of the house. Our subdivision has around 175 houses and each of them that didn't have an independent inspection has had some kind of problem like this.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:38 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
I don't live anywhere near Florida but Pulte built our home in the Midwest in 2009. ABSOLUTELY get inspections during the process. They failed to put any insulation in the back half of the house, which I would not have known until the bathroom pipes froze and cost us thousands of dollars in repairs. Didn't happen to us because our inspector crawled through the attic all the way back to the end of the house. They assumed that most people buying a brand-new home would not pay the $350 for an inspection and (at most) would possibly stand at the attic entrance and see insulation and figure it was all the way back the full length of the house. Our subdivision has around 175 houses and each of them that didn't have an independent inspection has had some kind of problem like this.
Any large builder who relies on a limited amount of trade workers (actually, all builders fall into this category today) will experience some type of problem. Building a house is reliant on people, and people make mistakes.

That being said, a Pulte home in the Midwest cannot even be compared to a home built in NE Florida. Totally different construction methods, totally different labor pool, totally different management, you get the picture.

In NE Florida, Pulte/Del Webb is a superior builder to virtually every other National Builder because of their highly stringent 3rd Party inspection process that they implemented several years ago. David Weekley has also recently introduced this 3rd Party inspection process on their multi-family projects as well, but not the single family homes.

Last time I checked, Lennar uses a cheap, woven, perforated housewrap that leaks, and they don't even fasten it with plastic cap fasteners, only staples. Maybe someone can verify for me the current product they are using on their homes? I believe it was the Green Guard VW which is bottom of the barrel in quality.

Pulte/Dell Webb and David Weekley Homes both use high end, non-woven, non-perforated, low perm housewraps that are much more suitable for the barrage of moisture that occurs in our climate. Dow Weathermate Plus and Typar are the 2 products these builders use.

SS

Old 06-01-2019, 09:33 PM
PF2 PF2 started this thread

12 posts, read 13,956 times
Thank you for the response! It was very helpful. We are so excited to begin. To finally prepare for retirement. We will definitely get a private inspector to walk through at least 3 or 4 times throughout the orocsss.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 AM

315 posts, read 358,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF2 View Post
My husband and I are strongly considering building a home in the new Del Webb community that is coming this summer.

PF2, where exactly will the new Del Webb community be located ? We'll be heading down in a few months and would be interested in adding it to our to see list . TY

Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM

661 posts, read 866,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
PF2, where exactly will the new Del Webb community be located ? We'll be heading down in a few months and would be interested in adding it to our to see list . TY
I think it's down at the crosswater area in Nocatee (all the way south).

Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 AM

315 posts, read 358,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I think it's down at the crosswater area in Nocatee (all the way south).

Thanks G ! That's really far down there, but we'll take a look nonetheless.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 8,488 times
We own a Pulte home in Texas. Absolutely love it! No complaints.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:50 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
OP We were too, but now they only build stick homes with is a No Go for us. Initially they were CB and well built. The Newer ones are not to our liking at all. that and the long drive to a proper beach along with wall to wall traffic everywhere one goes.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
We have Pulte home in Florida. We opted not to go 55+ as we like to see the diversity of very young thru to retired folks in our gated community after visiting many 55+ places. Just a personal preference after we visited many places from Tampa down to Naples.
Construction was fine. We had some minor post-build issues i.e. cracked tile near where they put the washing machine, cracked roof tile, one rain gutter need to be connected, they forgot to close the entrance from the garage into the attic. Pulte took care of all these issues. No major issues in my home nor the neighbors. We even have our own Facebook page only for residents in the community.
Our Pulte home came with the Taexx System. With an annual bug/termite service, we wont be invaded by bugs!
Making many trips we lucked out after we narrowed our location to a new Pulte development. We were the 20th buyers so we got an awesome lot on the lake. No homes on the other side of the lake so a very peaceful view from our Lanai , gathering room, bedroom.
Community center is nice with heated pool, gym, kids playground, meeting center, party room, outdoor fire pit etc.
I don't like the “pigeon post” for mail delivery vs. mail to your home but no choice for our development. USPS does a poor job but that is a subject for its own thread.
We got automatic roll up/down Solar Shades from Budget Blinds for the Lanai. Pulte did a deal with BB to give a residents a discount.
Pulte is a mid-range builder, Toll Brothers higher end, Lanar a lower end builder IMHO.
We selected higher end additions in the home above the Pulte base.
We did oversize the master bedroom, three car garage, outside LED lighting front and back, tile floors through out, front door, four panel sliding pocket windows to Lanai/gathering room, LED Lights not overwhelming in back on the Palm Trees between the Lanai and the lake but makes it very relaxing

Good luck with your choice

Last edited by FireStation46; 06-22-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville