Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 05:54 AM

9 posts, read 8,217 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My wife and I currently live in a suburb of Chicago. I grew up in the northeast and I am of Indian ethnicity. My wife is Caucasian and we have 3 children under age 5. We are thinking of moving to Jacksonville for several reasons (1) there is a good job opportunity (2) we want to be closer to the beach (3) tired of long Chicago winters (4) cost of living. We are looking for excellent schools and a suburb type of area to live in where there are lots of parks and it is safe to play outside, also coffee shops and restaurants, grocery stores etc within reasonable distance. We do not need to be beachfront.

I have a few concerns though since I have never lived in the south: (1) given my children are of mixed ethnicity, what would be a good school for them to attend that is diverse and does anyone think this will be a real issue? (2) should we consider private over public school for a good education and if so, what schools would you recommend ? (3) what would be a good area to live in ?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:07 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Budget??

Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM

i would like us to be in the $400k range but could go up to $500k. thanks.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 AM

661 posts, read 867,752 times
I'm going to say Nocatee. Maybe I sound like a broken record. West of Nocatee can get you a little more house for your money. It's not as diverse as areas in Jacksonville but I see a few Indian families with kids enjoying the pool areas and going for walks in the evening etc (I am in Nocatee). The Jax area in general has a fairly large Indian presence IMO. I work for a large financial company in IT and work with a lot of Indian folks and have made some great friends over the years in the process.

Nocatee zip 32081. West of that can usually but not always get you more house for your money and still be in great school system are zip codes 32259 and 32092.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Gromicide, thanks so much for your input. I have been looking at Nocatee as well in my own research and your sentiments just confirmed for me that I am on the right track!

Danirod: i am originally from NJ though living in Chicago now! I will reach out to you once I am further along with securing my job in the Jacksonville area, right now in the interview stages but just thinking about logistics early. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Have you noticed all your posts are being removed? I believe it's against the rules to do what you're doing.
LOL, definitely against the rules.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Have you noticed all your posts are being removed? I believe it's against the rules to do what you're doing.
By quoting the post it is now still available. Best to remove yours as well.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 PM

73 posts, read 80,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyland112 View Post
Hi all!

My wife and I currently live in a suburb of Chicago. I grew up in the northeast and I am of Indian ethnicity. My wife is Caucasian and we have 3 children under age 5. We are thinking of moving to Jacksonville for several reasons (1) there is a good job opportunity (2) we want to be closer to the beach (3) tired of long Chicago winters (4) cost of living. We are looking for excellent schools and a suburb type of area to live in where there are lots of parks and it is safe to play outside, also coffee shops and restaurants, grocery stores etc within reasonable distance. We do not need to be beachfront.

I have a few concerns though since I have never lived in the south: (1) given my children are of mixed ethnicity, what would be a good school for them to attend that is diverse and does anyone think this will be a real issue? (2) should we consider private over public school for a good education and if so, what schools would you recommend ? (3) what would be a good area to live in ?

Thanks in advance!!

We are pretty much the same but coming from Massachusetts. Schools in Saint Johns are great. Some Nocatee neighborhoods are Duval so keep that in mind. Most of Nocatee, Saint Johns, PV, PVB have excellent schools. We have a Indian/Caucasian BIL SIL with three mixed kids who live off of CR 210 and they love it.

One thing we love about the area is regardless of people’s ideologies, they are 100 times friendlier than our Massachusetts neighbors.

Hoping to move within two years.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoasterly View Post
We are pretty much the same but coming from Massachusetts. Schools in Saint Johns are great. Some Nocatee neighborhoods are Duval so keep that in mind. Most of Nocatee, Saint Johns, PV, PVB have excellent schools. We have a Indian/Caucasian BIL SIL with three mixed kids who live off of CR 210 and they love it.

One thing we love about the area is regardless of people’s ideologies, they are 100 times friendlier than our Massachusetts neighbors.

Hoping to move within two years.

Awesome this is so helpful and good to hear!! Thank you!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,364 times
We have lived in north St. Johns Co. near CR 210,west of I95, for 8 years and had kids in the public schools. I will say that I have never seen any racism or anything like it towards anyone. We have people of all races in our neighborhood and I am sure all the neighborhoods are the same. My view, from what I have seen here and how I feel personally, is that people are people, no matter what race. Jax and St. Johns are fantastic places to live and I cannot imagine your family being treated in any negative way whatsoever. I just don't think anyone here cares what color a person is.
There are not many private schools here because the public system is good. There are a few, but the really good ones are upwards of $25K per child and are located in Duval Co. Just about everyone in St. Johns Co. in all income brackets sends their kids to public schools.
Know that when moving here, the entire northern St. Johns Co. area, and a good bit south, is booming with new construction everywhere. It is getting seriously crowded. All of the schools have portables because they can't fit all the students in the buildings. So many people have moved here from New York and New Jersey, and many other states, trying to get lower taxes and home prices, and better weather. And I can't blame them! For instance, where we live off CR210/2209, a new development called Silverleaf is about to be started containing 10,000 houses/apartments. Yes, 10,000. A lot of these people will likely travel up the super-busy I95 north into Jax every day. It is going to be crazy here. All along CR210 from Nocatee to the river it is the same. New developments everywhere. Do we even have 911 services for everyone? I hope so.
Check hurricane flood zones before buying, and also determine if you will need flood insurance. CDDs can run up to $2500 or more yearly, and along with HOAs it can be pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville