U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 01:52 AM

57 posts, read 19,421 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are looking to move to Florida from CA. We are an Asian family with 2 small children (one 6yo with autism and one 4yo) and are attracted to SJC because if the schools, location, cost of living etc. We also lean on the conservative side and CA just doesn’t align with our beliefs and it seems to be getting worse each year. Anyways, I have a bunch of questions that I would love your input on

- anyone relocate from CA and what advice would you give?
- anything we should prepare ourselves for living in Florida for the first time? We are going for the first time in March.
- what area would the best location for my sons needs, he is moderately functioning (ie what schools are best for autism, near autism centers)
- if you purchased a new home what builder would you recommend and why? Or vice versa. The two homes we had prior we built and said we wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood like that again (didn’t like the ever increasing hoas) but our budget says that might be the best option (it is about 500k)

Preferably, I’d love to live on an acre + that I could have chickens and a garden but can’t find anything that isn’t in a flood zone for that price. I suppose we wouldn’t mind living in a newer neighborhood again though if it was close to everything we need. It would be nice to get to design a home again.

From my home search I am attracted to gran lakes or the reserve because of the no cdd fees (we really like the boca raton model from dream finders) but would love to know more info about the other million new neighborhoods and why you did or did not choose them

Really anything at all you’d love to tell me about Florida or what you think I should know before relocating will help. We would be basically giving everything up for the move and I want to know if it would be worth it. We would prefer SJC but would consider other areas so long as it’s not in flood zone and close to services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:09 AM

373 posts, read 270,159 times
It's really hot in the summer and perfect most of the other times. None of these new SJC communities will have an acre+ but you may find some choices in northwest SJC out near the river. I get your point about CA views getting worse. I couldn't imagine living there. There is some of that here too but not that bad.

There are other threads with builder recommendations but likely those top choices are not going to be found in many of the popular new communities. Most likely you will go with a builder that has the plan you like, in the neighborhood you like, and offering the best incentives then go with that. David Weekley and Dostie would be decent choices that are found in a lot of neighborhoods.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 AM

57 posts, read 19,421 times
Thanks Gromicide.

Yeah my husband and I pretty much accepted that were probably not going to get acreage, that’s not in a flood zone, that is also close to good schools, somethings gotta give

CA is just getting ridiculous, it’s a bought and paid for state that doesn’t have the people in mind. They are just taking rights away here and there all the while making in more and more costly to live here. Not worth it. I’m sad to leave though because we’d be leaving my family and a good school and services for my children but there is too much government over reach over our children and that was the last straw. A 12 year old can get access to birth control, abortion, and vaccinated w/o parent consent or notification here. In fact, once children turn 12 the parent isn’t allowed in the doctor room with them. That is way too young for us, especially with a special needs child who may be 12 but may have the capacity of half his age. Don’t even get me started on 2a. I’m not even a gun obsessed person I’m more of a constitutional rights person - I like my rights and want to keep them. Anyhoo sorry for the rant guess I just had to get that out lol. Florida shouldn’t be “progressive” like that right?

Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 PM

373 posts, read 270,159 times
not nearly no...lol. Someone on this board was also just asking about special needs here in the area too. Maybe you saw it? I'm sure you'll find a great place to settle in here and hopefully (most importantly) you'll find acceptable programs for your 6yo. I am not too familiar with the 2 communities you mentioned though I think i remember checking out gran lake online when it was first started. Is the reserve the 'reserve at greenbriar' or something else? I am in a CDD community and don't really notice it. It's just part of the mortgage payment each month and my HOA is very low. I think of the CDD the same as a high HOA payment and try to take advantage of everything I can to get my $$ worth.

Ahhh now I remember going through the Boca II model by DF builder. I know someone that had one built and the only regret was choosing so many dark floors and cabinets. I guess there isn't a lot of natural light in the living room?

Old 07-24-2019, 06:40 PM

140 posts, read 163,331 times
Hi there, I relocated from the Tampa area to Greenville South Carolina due to a job transfer, and I miss Florida! If you plan to live in Florida long term, you are doing a great service to your autistic child, because state benefits for special needs children are extensive, and go beyond the age of 18, where many kids "age out" of services even though they are still needed.

My daughter, my son in law, and my 2 grandkids live in St. Augustine and they enjoy the area. I understand it is the "fastest growing area of Florida", but still has the small town feel. The school system is excellent! They live in a subdivision off US-1, so they are literally 5 minutes from the beach, but with a small town feel. Real estate is booming there, and if you can get used to the sounds of trains passing in the distance, you may enjoy this part of St. John's County.

Politics in Florida are officially "purple", but you will find that the "reds" are more in the country, while the "blues" are more in the larger cities. You will find many people who share your views.

I regret moving away from Florida and will move back when the opportunity presents itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville