U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 03:48 PM

31 posts, read 17,280 times

Advertisements

Having just bought a house in Fernandina area, we are looking at doing an unvented attic for our house. My brother did it with Energy Seal and recommended them to us. They owner, Stan, seemed legit and was very friendly and easy to work with. We have not yet completely committed to doing it, but my brother seems pleased. However, I can't seem to find a definitive answer to some of my questions, and I'm hoping maybe some of you are better than my Google-fu.

Have any of you done an unvented attic and do you think that it makes any actual difference in energy consumption/prices/etc?

Open-cell vs closed-cell? I keep reading a lot of different opinions online, but we all know how opinions are...

Thanks for any help and experiences you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,038,928 times
I've thought about this too. Will you let us know what quotes you get? How much did your brother pay? Was he happy?

Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,452,529 times
From what I remember about what my neighbor said with regard to open cell vs closed cell, the company would install the open cell foam in the attic. It was mainly about having the ability to locate a roof leak, should one occur. With closed cell, the water would not come thru the foam, but rather sit on top of it and eventually roll down to the next lowest area.

I asked my neighbor about his experience with the spray foam, several months after it was installed. He didn’t really have anything negative to say, but it wasn’t a glowing report, either. His response was more “meh”.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 AM

36 posts, read 19,188 times
We had this done last summer by the same company, Stan was also our main contact person. they did a great job. We have a 25 yr old house..had the entire attic foam insulated, except we left over the garage open so we can still store stuff. The reviews online raved about lower electric bills, honestly, we have not seen that, in the past year maybe $25-50.00 lower a month (assuming i need to replace my windows at this point). I will say we have noticed - the house is quieter and the biggest thing we have noticed is the house keeps the same temperature overall, it does stay colder throughout the house 2500 sq feet and our ac system doesn't run as much. But, as far as the lower electric bill, I can say we are honestly disappointed in that outcome. I would agree, if someone ask if they should do it, it is a 50% yes /no answer since I don't know if it will help with your overall bill. We paid $6,000 last summer.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 AM

259 posts, read 98,154 times
If a house already has a vented roof, would something like this be recommended - I'm assuming the venting would need to be removed? I was actually wondering about roofs in this part of the country. In NJ where I'm still living, only some newer homes or new roofs being put on older homes have venting. Most of the rest have attic fans.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:32 AM

31 posts, read 17,280 times
My brother said that Stan was a great guy and they did a great job, but he also was unsure if he’s seeing any savings. In principal, the idea of turning a Florida vented attic into unvented sounds great, but I can’t seem to find anything definitive if it’s worth the investment. I like the idea of the attic not being exposed to all of the humidity, and think that is probably a good idea, but $6700 seems like a lot for “I think”.
Also I’m a little concerned that our house has R-38 and open cell foam of 6 inches seems to only have an R value of the mid 20s, and that makes me wonder if I wouldn’t be better sticking with what I have for now.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m still in the 50/50 mode so I appreciate your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or