U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:25 PM

57 posts, read 19,218 times

Advertisements

Hello I am trying gauge how much my monthly expenses would be moving to SJC. It will be a huge leap of faith moving as we would have no job lined up but have saved enough to last 6-8 months (also factoring moving costs and furniture) granted we would have the same living costs as we do now. Ideally we would want a 4 bedroom home with a screened in pool and solar. What would normal water, gas and electricity cost? Right now we live in a 4 bed home similar size to what we want 2600sq ft. Here are my expenses

130 - electric/gas with solar (not owned solar)
230 - water (we have a ridiculous monopolizing water company where we have to pay for recycled water)
130 - hoa and cdd fees
70 - garbage and recycling
230 - Comcast cable phone internet (we are going to discontinue this and look for something cheaper soon)

What would the average cost be living in SJC for those services above? The same, more or less? We will be paying off the home outright and I’m assuming taxes and home insurance would be around 700-800? I’ve read home insurance in Florida will be around 160-200month. Also how much extra monthly is it to operate a small simple solar heated pool? That is something we don’t have right now but really want in a new home. Curious to know how much you guys pay for your month monthly utilities and what size home you have. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 10:46 AM

370 posts, read 269,027 times
too many variables. a 2600 sq ft home can have a $200 electric bill or a $400 electric bill. I'm not sure figuring out affordability for a move can be based on a few people chiming in with what their bills are.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:13 AM

4,753 posts, read 3,427,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
too many variables. a 2600 sq ft home can have a $200 electric bill or a $400 electric bill. I'm not sure figuring out affordability for a move can be based on a few people chiming in with what their bills are.
Totally agree. You have to also think about other variables as well:

1. Will you be doing your own grass/shrubs? Most people hire this out. $100-$150/mo
2. Lawn/shrub/tree pest mgmt - another $50-$100/mo
3. Indoor pest mgmt, including termites - all over the place. The termite bond is at least a grand and lasts 5 years and you have to do an annual inspection that costs several hundred dollars for someone to walk around your house for 15 minutes.
4. Your auto insurance rates will likely go up. FL has extremely high rates, drive here for a week and you'll understand why.

Just a few off the top of my head that most folks who move here hadn't thought about prior.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks Gromicide and Florida2014

And I agree, I won’t take a few of these responses to solidify my decision, I just wanted a ballpark average of what utilities may cost because I think it’s important to know these things before we move and I’m not sure else how to get that information. Can’t I find an average anywhere? I found one site claiming they give averages, I think it was city’s best? But it’s 7.99 just to get a premium account for that info and I’m not sure how accurate it is. I just don’t want to move expecting to spend x amount on utilities and find for some reason or another the average price of said utilities is way higher. For example, our first home the water bill was like 60-70 month then we moved 2hrs away to this county and found it was over 200. We use no more or less water than we did prior, similar sized house. I wish I had done my research on that because I would’ve looked at a different neighboring county.

Florida2014 - thank you that is very valuable knowledge. My husband is planning to do the front lawn or better if we can find a community that will let us have artificial turf so all we’d have to do is worry about the shrubs and trees which seems manageable to do on our own. Is that something that’s usually allowed? Also we are hoping to get a new build and for the backyard I just want small screened in pool, fenced backyard and whatever space outside of the screened in pool would just be garden beds and gravel, so something super low maintenance for the backyard.

We had pest management here but found it wasn’t a necessity so we stopped services. Good to to know that it would be a necessity over there and I will definitely look into that.

I’ve read home owners insurance will be higher but not car so that is also good to know

I know we could afford the house I just want to make sure I can afford the other expenses

Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 PM

3,628 posts, read 1,954,306 times
Fenced yards are pretty rare here. Many communities don't allow them, which is a good thing IMHO. Water and Electric (for A/C and pool pump) are at least $300 as sprinklers are not an option. Pest control indoor and outdoor are essential as well as termite control. Pool service at least 100, lawn care is around 120 which considering the heat here is worth it. Car insurance is high as well as flood insurance and homeowners. Don't forget CDD and HOA fees. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Thanks! I have factored in hoa/cdd, home and car insurance. I was able to get some quotes online for the insurance and home listings are pretty good at giving the price of hoa and cdd. I pay a bit over 300 month for water and electric anyways so it’s good to know that may not change or I might even pay less if I get a pool. Totally forgot about monthly pool maintenance so thank you for that info. I was able to dig a bit online and turns out I’d be able to afford living expenses with my income while my husband finds a job but it’s very useful to know about termite and pest control and things like that. I wouldn’t have known that is a thing down there. If there are any other costs that I should factor please let me know

Old 07-25-2019, 06:20 AM

4,753 posts, read 3,427,949 times
In terms of replacing grass with turf, I'd say just about any HOA would not approve of that. I've never seen a turf yard in all my time here. We had every intention of doing our own lawn too until we moved here. Our lawn crew is made up of two guys who have the best equipment one can buy (riding mowers, electric trimmers/blowers, etc) and it takes them nearly two hours to do our lawn plus our neighbors, it is a LOT of work with all the shrubs and grass and when you factor in the heat it really is back-breaking work. One of the few things in life I have zero guilt about paying someone else to do it for me. If I was doing that on my own with a push mower and low-end equipment, it would probably be 2.5 hours to do everything to my (high) standards.

With JEA, water+reclaimed water (what you water your grass with)+electricity+sewer runs between $250 and $375 for us depending on the time of year. We have a larger lot but not an overly large house (2,700 sq ft). I work from home most days and have both a/c units running 9 mos out of the year, plus 3 computers 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Another sticker shock for us was registering our vehicles for the first time and getting FL DLs. I almost fainted in the DMV.

Generally the cost of living here is low compared to the NE. Certainly housing is the biggest factor there. But there are things that took us by surprise, the yard upkeep being the biggest.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,450,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
In terms of replacing grass with turf, I'd say just about any HOA would not approve of that.

Florida Statute 720.3075(4) speaks to this.

I don't see a specific reference to artificial turf, but Florida Statute 373.185 addresses the Florida Friendly Landscaping Law. If you want to see 1 property in Jax (near you) that has (or had) artificial turf, make a loop around Bulow Creek Dr in Bartram Springs. You can pretty easily spot the house on the satellite view of Google Maps, on the southwest side of the pond, near the bottom corner.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:11 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,331,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
With JEA, water+reclaimed water (what you water your grass with)+electricity+sewer runs between $250 and $375 for us depending on the time of year. We have a larger lot but not an overly large house (2,700 sq ft). I work from home most days and have both a/c units running 9 mos out of the year, plus 3 computers 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Another sticker shock for us was registering our vehicles for the first time and getting FL DLs. I almost fainted in the DMV.
That's about how much we pay for water & electric through Beaches Electric/St Johns County Utility throughout the year ~$200-$350/mth (slightly bigger house).

1 time vehicle registration, plates, title, license etc. will run ~ $450-$500 per car. Annual registration renewal is $45-$70.

Annual termite bond: $330 (includes annual inspection)

Pest(inside and out)/lawn/ornamental treatments: $1,200/yr

Home Insurance: $1750/yr (we live about 1.5 miles from Mickler's Beach) + $500 for FEMA/NFIP Flood insurance (not required but we buy it anyway)

Property taxes: $5k/yr

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 07-25-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 09:39 AM

Florida2014, EricBoyd, Ivan Putski - thank you so much, this is all really useful info!

Ivan Putski and Florida2014 - do you have a pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville