U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

I’m married with three kids (8,10, and 11) and looking to move down from New York. We were looking into palencia and was wondering if anyone had any feedback, positive or negative. Looked into Ponte Vedra also but we’re leaning towards palencia. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 10:52 AM

4,737 posts, read 3,417,272 times
Palencia is an exceptionally nice neighborhood, imho. Really has it all - golf, tennis, baseball fields, their own schools & grocery/retail, etc. I have heard their CDD and HOA fees are higher than most so that might be something worth exploring. And when we moved to the area in 2014 their only internet provider was Litestream, which ruled that out for us based on thousands of extremely poor reviews of them. But they might now offer AT&T and/or Comcast.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 AM

697 posts, read 407,364 times
Palencia is a little too far from the beaches for our liking and it has CDDs. Whatever you decide make sure you home is built of Concrete Block, you will not regret it.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:32 AM

1,600 posts, read 718,091 times
Have you taken time to visit the area? If so, great. If not make some trips to see not only the homes but the surrounding area. As mentioned above, look into this method (except basements- not too many done in FL to my knowledge)

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/442...b-foundations/

Helps with Hurricane Insurance. Zurich insurance company just came out with a deductible buy back policy which significantly reduces your insurance exposure to your wallet at a reasonable cost.

I was lucky, we were 1/10 of a mile from the current flood zone boundary so we were able to get Hurricane Insurance in the “voluntary” flood insurance company vs. getting stuck with Citizens Insurance Company.

Check your area for sinkholes

https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/ga...oles/index.php

https://www.earthtech.com/residentia...surance-facts/

Our builder raised the elevation, compacted the soil then built as above including metal studs (less for termites to eat) and put in a Taexx system to further keep bugs at bay.

https://youtu.be/e4z8yOBadqI

They also put in internet boosters as block walls can interfere with WiFi to anything not wired into our Fibre Optic internet.

Then the Smart Home system including cameras all around and in the garage and gathering room.

Good luck with what you go with!

Old 08-04-2019, 12:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Palencia is a little too far from the beaches for our liking and it has CDDs. Whatever you decide make sure you home is built of Concrete Block, you will not regret it.
Why is that? I know of several concrete block projects all over Florida currently in active Construction Defect lawsuits from defective stucco and window installations. The interiors are full of water damage. Concrete absorbs moisture, more so than wood, which creates a much higher potential for moisture vapor diffusion into the buildings. There is very little advantage to concrete block, if any, other than strength, which with today's stringent hurricane codes and the fact that wood frame building are tied in from top to bottom to the concrete slab, is a moot point for today's construction.

What is your premise for recommending concrete blocks exactly?

SS

Old 08-04-2019, 01:24 PM

697 posts, read 407,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Why is that? I know of several concrete block projects all over Florida currently in active Construction Defect lawsuits from defective stucco and window installations. The interiors are full of water damage. Concrete absorbs moisture, more so than wood, which creates a much higher potential for moisture vapor diffusion into the buildings. There is very little advantage to concrete block, if any, other than strength, which with today's stringent hurricane codes and the fact that wood frame building are tied in from top to bottom to the concrete slab, is a moot point for today's construction.

What is your premise for recommending concrete blocks exactly?

SS
In our case insurance costs are dramatically lower. A virtually Identical home in our area can be $1500 a year more in insurance costs. Yes I agree, one needs to make sure their home is built correctly. In our area CB homes are built very well. But they are in the $800k and up range.

I am sure based on your experience you are perfectly correct for newer homes, ours are vintage 2002 - 2005. I personally feel a lot more comfortable with a good block home. We are also < 2 miles from the beach.

Last edited by shokwaverider; 08-04-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-05-2019, 12:02 AM

8,119 posts, read 4,439,035 times
Take a ride to St Augustine and see all the houses that are well over a hundred years old. Note that virtually all of them are wood frame construction. Also note that no houses are built with a concrete block roof and that is the part most susceptible to storm damage.

Then throw out all the ground rules from those who have recently arrived from Indiana.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:41 AM

4,737 posts, read 3,417,272 times
Yeah, I wouldn't try and focus on concrete block housing. It's just not needed here unless you're truly ocean-front.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:31 AM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
In our case insurance costs are dramatically lower. A virtually Identical home in our area can be $1500 a year more in insurance costs. Yes I agree, one needs to make sure their home is built correctly. In our area CB homes are built very well. But they are in the $800k and up range.

I am sure based on your experience you are perfectly correct for newer homes, ours are vintage 2002 - 2005. I personally feel a lot more comfortable with a good block home. We are also < 2 miles from the beach.
Thank you for the answer. I was not aware of the difference in insurance costs between block and wood frame. That certainly would be a major consideration, especially close to the ocean where the property taxes are already outrageous.

You also reminded me that I still have to get homeowners insurance. Last couple of close calls made me nervous, and we are 4 blocks from the ocean.

SS

Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM
rtt

256 posts, read 695,149 times
OP asking about Palencia.....We're from the same area, and chose Ponte Vedra because we wanted a town/community vs a gated community, although we did end up living in one within Ponte Vedra. Palencia is very nicely done, I think, but its kind of isolated....you have to access the highway to go anywhere......and not sure about the schools as my kids are older now.....maybe the high school now is Nease vs. ST Augustine High?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or