U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:36 AM

4,787 posts, read 3,436,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
So please explain to me why so many teachers are leaving SJC who are poor payers use assistants rather than permanent teachers and give no security to their emloyees
This is a separate issue entirely. The teaching profession, in general, is seeing a huge exodus in recent years. One million teachers left their jobs in an 8 month span in 2018, St Johns Co lost approximately 3% the last time I read about it, hardly reason for much concern. In any other position, a 97% retention rate would be hitting a home run but for some reason when it's teachers people seem to lose their minds. The pay stinks and I imagine it's a fairly stressful job, even with summers off and then with SJC you factor in overcrowded classrooms and I imagine it's a tough situation even for tenured teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 04:10 PM

93 posts, read 79,039 times
Scores and ratings are inflated. If a student gets below a 70%, they’re given every opportunity through retests and extra credit to achieve the desired grade. I’ve experienced this with my own student and family members who are teachers in the district. Teachers will tell you they are not allowed to fail a student.
Yes, the parent involvement is huge here. If you’re not firing off emails left and right to the administrators to have your child put in advanced or gifted classes to align them correctly so that they’ve received an associates degree by senior year, you’ve failed as a parent.
We didn’t choose this district or move here for the schools. We were residents far before the insanity and overcrowding began and question often our decision to stay.
I would strongly encourage a visit to the area and schools you're interested before you make a move based solely on scores you find on the computer screen. So many of us were not raised in “the #1 district” and have turned out just fine.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 AM

372 posts, read 269,631 times
Right it's not really the education that's worlds different, it's the environment and peers. IMO that's just as important and often times more important. Peer pressure is a real thing as everyone knows. I moved from Jax once my kids were finishing elementary school. Let's just say it was the right move. Many of those little Johnny and Joes that used to come to my kid's birthday parties, play on their baseball teams, have sleepovers and that fun stuff are now teenagers and not quite the same as they were years ago. These kids were victims of the peer pressure in that area which again, has A rated elem schools, B and C rated middle and high schools so not terrible but still too much riff raff going on in the hallways and after school.

You're not a failure of a parent if your kid doesn't graduate HS with an AA and you're note a failure of a parent if your kid ends up addicted and in rehab. In SJC schools, your kid has a better chance at the former vs the latter. Parent involvement is obviously key.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 PM

949 posts, read 1,186,684 times
This is so important and overlooked. It's really not that much about the schools or the teachers. It's about the students and your kid's classmates and peers. If they are surrounded by kids who have parents that are professionals and show interest in their lives, it is more likely they will be on the college track and motivated to succeed.

If your kid's friends are latchkey kids or have troubled home lives or their parents just don't give a damn, the chances of drug addiction, theft, DUI, sexual promiscuity, and all the other infamous poor choices teenagers can make go way, way, up.

Quote:
Many of those little Johnny and Joes that used to come to my kid's birthday parties, play on their baseball teams, have sleepovers and that fun stuff are now teenagers and not quite the same as they were years ago. These kids were victims of the peer pressure in that area which again, has A rated elem schools, B and C rated middle and high schools so not terrible but still too much riff raff going on in the hallways and after school.

You're not a failure of a parent if your kid doesn't graduate HS with an AA and you're note a failure of a parent if your kid ends up addicted and in rehab. In SJC schools, your kid has a better chance at the former vs the latter. Parent involvement is obviously key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville