U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Jacksonville from Central Florida for work and will be working all over the city as I am field based.

1. What neighborhoods should I avoid due to crime/danger.
2. School system doesn't matter to me
3. We're in our 40s so don't need the hip area of town.
4. We don't go out a lot and party or eat out a lot, we are mostly homebodies, prefer quiet neighborhood.
5. Like the water and parks, but don't need to pay the beach premium, a pool would be nice.
6. Looking to try and keep it under $1100 for a 1BR or possibly 2BR
7. I will be driving a lot and everywhere so that may affect recommendations

Thanks for any help or advice. We might try AirBNB for a little bit first, but if we find the right fit it would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 AM

370 posts, read 268,655 times
you mean an apartment?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM

68 posts, read 53,526 times
Try Mandarin. It is central - great location if you are traveling all areas of the city - has everything you are looking for and very affordable. I lived there for 6 months before moving closer to the water for all the things you don't care about lol.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM

3,303 posts, read 6,273,396 times
You do know Jacksonville is a huge city, land wise right? There's really no safe area in Jax because even though crime/danger is confined to the ghetto, there have been reports of shootings and murders all over the city.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 AM

36 posts, read 19,155 times
The crime statistics regarding the Jacksonville neighborhoods are public knowledge, if you just
narrow down your area, you can research. I have lived in JAX for 30+ years and know which
areas of town that are statistically a higher crime /shooting areas. I feel very safe in my day to day living in many parts of the city. Jax is very large land wise, but with any major city, you will have the safer areas. I live in Mandarin due to the approx location of the interstate for traveling to get
to different areas of town quickly. I feel very safe in our location. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,335 times
Thanks for the insights, I ended up renting a place in Avondale, an older apartment, but the houses nearby are all fancy so it's clean, and felt really safe, plus we can walk to parks and restaurants, but it's on a dead-end road, so little traffic, theres also an outdoor space for a grill and a garden.

I didn't feel unsafe anywhere we went in the city, but some places were not all that inviting either. We looked at a lot of complexes in Southside & Riverside too, but they were significantly more expensive than renting from an individual owner. Plus, they were a bit more active and crowded than what I prefer. Atlantic Beach was beautful, but pricey and far from some of my work sites. Neptune the same, just not as beautiful and Jax Beach just looked like South Florida (Sunny Isles or Hallandale) to me, Ponte Vedra was great, but can't afford a beach from Mansion this week. Orange Park was nothing special, and it wasn't fun to drive in. Downtown, was eerily empty at night and just felt like it was waiting for a zombie invasion. A young lady at Petco (have to stop at every pet store we pass to keep my daughter on board) did mention Mandarin, but by then I was tired of looking, she also mentioned Oak Leaf. We never made it to Callahan, which would likely be more similar to where we live now, but it's not going anywhere and I can look at it later if I consider buying in the future.

Thanks again,
David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or