U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 AM

290 posts, read 311,628 times

Advertisements

Hello hello..

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out which area of FL is best for us. Jacksonville has been added to the list and I have some questions. He currently is in Ocala (we are trying to avoid staying there because the job market for me is a no go). I am out of state still. Some info below to help get the best answers. Thanks in advance!

Me: Currently in Dallas, by way of Philly and DC. I work in Finance for an major investment company with a solid finance background, mortgage as well, and all corporate type of positions. Would be looking for something in the same type of fields.

Him: Can transfer with his company to various locations around the state, so his job situation is not an issue

Us: We are in our early 30s. We like dine out, check out shows, events, festivals, water sports.. and anything fun. We definitely would love to have easy beach access. No kids, still looking for a safe area of town and neither of us want a commute that is more than 30 min IF we can help it. We aren't quite sure yet if we want to rent or buy... but rental budget under 1800, purchase cap around 350k.
We don't mind driving to go do things, but would like to have some good entertainment and dining options nearby as well.

The biggest hump is finding work for me. I realize I will be taking a paycut as my current salary in Dallas is based off DC cost of living bc that's where I was hired. With that said, I was redirected from the Ocala and Orlando forums to here due to more corporate job market opportunities in my field. I haven't looked much yet.. hoping you all can provide some insight to that as well.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:49 AM

370 posts, read 268,655 times
Jacksonville has a solid job market in those fields. The city itself is a huge land area with areas congested with things to do. You can live in one area of town and get most of what you need without driving more than 15-20 minutes. For some things you will drive 30-45 minutes depending on what that is and where you live. I would rule out living too close to the beach but plenty of options in that price range that are 15 minutes to the beach.

Do you prefer being in a busy high traffic area with all the restaurants and stores you can think of or would you rather be 15-20 minutes away from these areas? Would you like a quiet family oriented area close to highway access so you can jet over to the things you like (beaches, dining, water)?

I like the idea of renting for a year or so while you learn the area. I would look at Mandarin, Julington Creek, Bartram areas which are in town 30 min or so to the beach but close to the river and close to shopping/dining. For closer to beach options, San Pablo Rd, Hodges Blvd which is also known as intracoastal west is a quick 10 minutes to the ocean and has lots of options.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Jacksonville has a solid job market in those fields. The city itself is a huge land area with areas congested with things to do. You can live in one area of town and get most of what you need without driving more than 15-20 minutes. For some things you will drive 30-45 minutes depending on what that is and where you live. I would rule out living too close to the beach but plenty of options in that price range that are 15 minutes to the beach.

Do you prefer being in a busy high traffic area with all the restaurants and stores you can think of or would you rather be 15-20 minutes away from these areas? Would you like a quiet family oriented area close to highway access so you can jet over to the things you like (beaches, dining, water)?

I like the idea of renting for a year or so while you learn the area. I would look at Mandarin, Julington Creek, Bartram areas which are in town 30 min or so to the beach but close to the river and close to shopping/dining. For closer to beach options, San Pablo Rd, Hodges Blvd which is also known as intracoastal west is a quick 10 minutes to the ocean and has lots of options.
We would ideally like a few things nearby for a quick dinner run or whatever.. and then can drive 15-20 min away for an evening out or major shopping etc. Def would like easy highway access for sure bc we would be spending a good amount of time at the beach.
Are most of the jobs I'd likely find going to be "downtown"? I would like to keep my work commute under 30 minutes if possible so that is a factor as well. I'm assuming the options you mentioned that are 10 min to the ocean will be a bit of a commute to work.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 PM

370 posts, read 268,655 times
I say check the rental houses on zillow in the 32258/32259 zip codes. This is a spot with close interstate access, fast hwy jumps to major shopping, dining, st augustine, but huge residential areas that are safer/quieter. This is at the far south area of Jacksonville that borders St Johns county and St Augustine and still has a bit of rural feel in areas. You can still get to the beach in 20-30 minutes whether in Jax or St Johns county and all in a thriving area of northeast Florida. If you rent here, you can spend some time getting to know the surrounding areas and make a long term decision.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 AM

6,777 posts, read 7,490,294 times
It sounds like you could live pretty much anywhere on the eastern side of the St Johns River, save for a few pockets that are fairly undesirable, most of this region is safe. And everywhere is gonna have some food/shopping options nearby. Like YMO said, there's pretty much a 45/45 chance your job will be in the downtown area (more specifically Brooklyn neighborhood) or Southside somewhere by the St Johns Town Center (SJTC) or along Southside Blvd near Deerwood or the Avenues. I left the remaining 10% for outliers and also Citi which is much farther south.

So you might as well look for a job first that can go a long way in determining location, but if for some reason you cannot, you're fairly safe looking somewhere between downtown and the SJTC. FIS is likely building a new headquarters and bringing many more jobs to the area in the next few years. DB by SJTC was expected to expand big time but, well, that's uhhh on hold for now lol.

If you want to be around young people then I'd suggest Riverside (west side of the river very close to downtown), Brooklyn, maybe San Marco or Springfield, or anywhere in like a 3 mile radius of SJTC. I'd also say Murray Hill, except that if you end up not working downtown then it is the farthest distance to the other corporate area. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
We are in similar fields. It could be all over the city. Most of the Finance/Business type positions will be either in Downtown (which I don't recommend living unless you get a good spot in Riverside or something west of Roosevelt) or the Southside part of the city. A lot of banking offices are based in Southern Jax. Keep in mind that a lot of companies will attempt to low ball you on an offer. They know that they can get away with paying below market. Even with the lower cost of living, the job offer could net you even less money power than in Dallas, so be careful on that. However, you have a lot of experience in high level positions, they can match your pay depending on the position.

Thank you! Yeah I've worked with both major mortgage investors for years, and prior to that was at BOA corporate for 5 years. So HOPING I would find something without major issue other than the lowball attempts. I currently work in trading and capital markets, but have experience in audit, credit risk, and mortgage ops in general. Thanks for the tips, we are hoping to be close to the beach.. within 30 min if we end up in Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or