Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

In a few months, I will be moving an area that Google Maps calls "Pickwick Park." I am in the process of buying a house there. The area between Beauclerc Rd, Scott Mill Rd and San Jose Blvd. My co-worker told me that that area is Mandarin. However, on Google Maps, when I click on Mandarin, it shows it as a small area entirely south of I-295 along the east side of the St. Johns River. Is Google not accurate? Is my co-worker correct? I noticed that there is a Mandarin Public Library in the area. But is it really Mandarin? Or just Pickwick Park?

Also, I am 35 years old and noticed that the median age in the area is 55. Is this going to be a problem? I don't think it would be a problem...I don't care. But my co-worker keeps telling me that Mandarin is mostly elderly people. Currently, I live in an apartment complex on Hodges with a lot of young people and honestly, it has not benefited or added any value to my life whatsoever. Too many arguments between young couples and loud pool parties are super annoying. And I'm only getting older. I am a homebody who is quiet and minds my own business. Thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:03 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I would say Mandarin boundaries are east of St Johns River, South of Sunbeam Rd, North of Julington Creek, West of US1.

I’ve lived in Mandarin for nearly all of my 26+ years in Jacksonville. I’m almost 48 now. If I can judge the average age of adults in the area by looking at the parents on the first day of school at Loretto Elementary, I’d suggest there are plenty of folks under 40 years old. There are a lot of assisted living facilities in Mandarin, but I doubt you’ll see many of those residents out and about. There is definitely an “old money” segment of people here, but they are in the minority. I plan to stay in my home until I die, though, because I love it here.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 AM

39 posts, read 38,170 times
I would agree you are in Mandarin, yet I would consider it 'older Mandarin' in the sense of a lot of the homes are older in that area, with a few pockets of new homes in the area. I would not agree that Mandarin is full of old people. Im 45 and have lots of friends in their 30's that live here. It is a quiet community...with a great location to anywhere in Jax.Properties hold their value thru the years.
Parks are full of active people every day, Lots of younger people at the local gyms in the afternoons.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:48 AM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
part of Pickwick Park is in flood zone D, west of Scott Mill Rd:

http://maps.coj.net/evsearch/Images/ezone_smaller.gif

https://floridadisaster.maps.arcgis....25744ead39c0d6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: