U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:12 PM

50 posts, read 65,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I think people that have never been to Florida and get the opportunity automatically think it's supposed to look like Tahiti the minute you cross the state border. The sad truth is once you get to the areas that look like Tahiti you can't u-turn fast enough to go back the other direction.
Explain...Because So Flo seems ghetto ? I live in Thailand which has a similiar climate to So Flo and I can guarantee you Thailand and SE Asia is way more ghetto than Miami or South Florida---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM

50 posts, read 65,488 times
PS--I spent 3 1/2 weeks in So Flo--def ghetto and lots of lowlifes but nowhere near as ghetto or poverty stricken as the developing world

Old 09-04-2019, 08:58 AM

370 posts, read 268,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post
Explain...Because So Flo seems ghetto ? I live in Thailand which has a similiar climate to So Flo and I can guarantee you Thailand and SE Asia is way more ghetto than Miami or South Florida---
No not saying these cities are ghetto. In that sense they all have bad and good areas. I just mean the people that live there and the attitudes is different. So Fl is obviously more lush and tropical (naturally). In Jax and other north FL areas, palm trees are planted to look more like FL. I'm just saying I prefer the splash of southern, rural feel you get between N Fl, Gainseville, St Aug etc...Once you get in S Fl it's a whole nuther world

Old 09-04-2019, 09:30 AM

5,640 posts, read 1,735,339 times
Why stay?

Personally I don't like Jax. The subtle racism is one, but I feel Southern Culture doesn't focus too much on education. I love learning new things, but I found a lot of adults who don't. Also as an atheist I do feel like the city doesn't want me in it. I met of religion folks over the years in Jax who are pretty hostile to folks like me, including disagreeing with me that Birth Control pills isn't sinning with "god." The urban sprawl is a mess, and the suburbs are very boring for me (but not boring to a family). Also from talking with my coworkers, I feel like that the suburbs are code word for white areas or the GOP.

Dunno, I been in Jax for over a decade and I want something else. Yes, cost of living is good but the rental market prices are giving more people heart attacks with the crazy price increases over the last few years. Some people don't belong here, and I do feel like I'm one of them.[/quote]

Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 PM

52 posts, read 31,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Born and raised in Jacksonville & I like the traditional feel to it. I like that Jacksonville isn’t overrun with Northern transplants like Orlando/Tampa or S. Florida. I’m annoyed when people say Jacksonville is ghetto, like other cities don’t have ghetto areas. I have no problem with the ghetto. I feel more comfortable in the hood areas of Jacksonville than I would Mandarin, Southside/Baymeadows, or any of the white areas of Jacksonville. I don’t want Jacksonville to become some cosmopolitan city.
Same here. Kinda disappointed that Jax is slowly turning into Orlando/Tampa. Liked it the way it was in the mid-90s. Low-key, but had most/all the big-city amenities and services.

Still my hometown and still love going over there, I feel like I know every nook & cranny and my share of secret spots there in order to have a good time.

Plus, the best food can be found in the so called “ghetto” parts of Jax.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:17 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,507,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
Personally I don't like Jax. The subtle racism is one...
Like what is in your opening sentence?

Old 09-05-2019, 05:50 PM

3,625 posts, read 1,953,203 times
Keep bashing away, maybe it will slow the influx of people.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:04 PM

3,303 posts, read 6,273,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
Same here. Kinda disappointed that Jax is slowly turning into Orlando/Tampa. Liked it the way it was in the mid-90s. Low-key, but had most/all the big-city amenities and services.

Still my hometown and still love going over there, I feel like I know every nook & cranny and my share of secret spots there in order to have a good time.

Plus, the best food can be found in the so called “ghetto” parts of Jax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
I agree on the food part. Even the Popeyes are better in the ghetto parts of town.
Facts on the bolded statements. In the Jacksonville 'hood, you get enough food for 2 people. If you go to the right spots, you'll only pay $10, if that.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:43 AM

551 posts, read 391,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post
PS--I spent 3 1/2 weeks in So Flo--def ghetto and lots of lowlifes but nowhere near as ghetto or poverty stricken as the developing world

Yeah but are you in fear for your life?

How prevalent are Guns?

Old 10-03-2019, 01:18 PM

24 posts, read 22,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Yeah but are you in fear for your life?

How prevalent are Guns?
You got a better chance of getting killed your daily commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or