U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM

210 posts, read 154,122 times

Advertisements

A lot was said about the evacuation zones in Florida here on local NY news. I looked them up and noticed there were large sections of Julington Creek, Durbin Crossing, Nocatee, ect not included in any evacuation zones. Would these maps be a good rule of thumb to judge if an area would be less affected by a weather event ?

Also one zone I don't quite understand is south of Racetrack, east of SJ Pkwy and runs across to US 1. It's designated as a Zone A/B though I don't see why that is. All I see there is possibly Durbin Creek, though it seems far - at least on google maps - from SJ Pkwy. Why is this area designated as a Zone A/B ?

Lastly it seems Rivertown is not in Zone A even though most of the area there along the SJ River is. It looks as though Rivertown is in Zone F. Is this correct ?

https://www.sjcemergencymanagement.c...nes%208x11.pdf

Quote:
With mandatory evacuations ordered up and down the First Coast, people are being asked to check their evacuation zone. But some people don’t have one.

Deputy director of emergency management for St. Johns County, Jeffrey Alexander, said that’s because some people aren’t living in areas with a significant wind or water threat.
“You may you may not be in an evacuation zone,” Alexander said. “That means that based on the hazards of a hurricane, we don't have a hurricane scenario that's going to cause you to evacuate.”

https://news.wjct.org/post/look-how-...are-determined

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:49 PM

370 posts, read 269,258 times
Interesting points. No doubt elevation has something to do with it. Captn obvious...lol

I bet for rivertown that the part of the river, the way it bends right there and has a cove has something to do with it. It's also really wide right there flowing due north. Has SR13 ever flooded there, especially south more where the river is really close to the road? In downdown Jax, the river narrows significantly, then hooks east. I completely understand why that area flooded with Irma.

I am in Nocatee and my specific area is Zone D but only a few hundreds yard from me is zone B. This is all because of elevation and proximity to the intracoastal. Strange though that I can walk my dog and go from zone D to B which would mean these neighbors would be ordered to evacuate but not me.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 AM

698 posts, read 408,544 times
Flood Zones and Evacuation Zone's are very loosely related, in some cases not at all.

E.g. One can be on a barrier island in an "X" Flood zone but be in evacuation Zone A. Simply because "some" homes are in low lying areas. Your home may be 20' above seal level, but still be in the zone as homes down the road are AE.

The more important measurement is Flood Zone.

Here is the St. John's County Flood Zone Map.

https://www.gis.sjcfl.us/floodviewer/

Old 09-12-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Interesting points. No doubt elevation has something to do with it. Captn obvious...lol

I bet for rivertown that the part of the river, the way it bends right there and has a cove has something to do with it. It's also really wide right there flowing due north. Has SR13 ever flooded there, especially south more where the river is really close to the road? In downdown Jax, the river narrows significantly, then hooks east. I completely understand why that area flooded with Irma.

I am in Nocatee and my specific area is Zone D but only a few hundreds yard from me is zone B. This is all because of elevation and proximity to the intracoastal. Strange though that I can walk my dog and go from zone D to B which would mean these neighbors would be ordered to evacuate but not me.
Yes I thought flooding would be a key component but also wind speeds and other elements of a hurricane as well. I'm assuming you're in the 20 Mile area of Nocatee (Zone D), wouldn't wind speeds warrant an evacuation of your area as well or is it just based on flooding/elevation ?

That's an interesting point you made on Rivertown, I suppose that area was possibly chosen for that very reason if you are correct. We bypassed Rivertown because of the proximity to the river, but maybe now we'll give it a look. I also see that according to the Flood Zone Map Shokwaverider provided it's not directly within a floodzone. Though there is an AE Floodway running through it. If I'm reading it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Flood Zones and Evacuation Zone's are very loosely related, in some cases not at all.

E.g. One can be on a barrier island in an "X" Flood zone but be in evacuation Zone A. Simply because "some" homes are in low lying areas. Your home may be 20' above seal level, but still be in the zone as homes down the road are AE.

The more important measurement is Flood Zone.

Here is the St. John's County Flood Zone Map.

https://www.gis.sjcfl.us/floodviewer/

Thanks for the link Shokwaverider, I've seen the Flood Zone Map before but was somewhat confused after looking over the Evacuation Zones Map assuming they would basically be the same. Though as you stated they're loosely related in some cases. I suppose I'll just use both as a basic rule of thumb in choosing a community. It's interesting how you can be in an evacuation zone yet a few blocks away others are not. As I mentioned to Gromicide I was surprised that Nocatee wasn't evacuated due to it's proximity to the coast. If not for flooding, then for wind speeds. Could you explain how this is factored in. Funny but when we were deciding which communities to look at on our trip down, we discounted areas like Nocatee, Rivertown, Palencia, ect. due to their proximity to the coast. Though maybe that wasn't fully warranted.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 AM

I think windspeed is more about the strength of the home and steps the owner takes to prepare for it (boards, shutters, sheltering, etc...) The standard for windows and roofs is around a CAT2/115 MPH winds I believe. Not sure how you can zone for that. Yes I am in 20 mile. You would think since the area used to be a swamp that it would flood easily but the drainage in Nocatee is better than anything I have seen. After Irma, there was literally no standing water on any streets that I could see. I wasn't there for Matthew but others have stated the same thing. Everything drained properly with the exceptions of how some lots are graded which means a sloshy backyard or sideyard and even that drains naturally after hours of dryness.

For windspeed the biggest worry is a direct hit since hurricane speeds only extend a little bit past the eye in many cases. The storms look huge on radar but it's really the center I pay most attention to. I'm not worried at all about a hurricane brushing by but it's easy to see the news and think the entire state of FL is going to be wiped out.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
For windspeed the biggest worry is a direct hit since hurricane speeds only extend a little bit past the eye in many cases. The storms look huge on radar but it's really the center I pay most attention to. I'm not worried at all about a hurricane brushing by but it's easy to see the news and think the entire state of FL is going to be wiped out.
Thanks for clarifying that G. Yes watching on the news it appears that the whole of the area will be affected by wind speeds. Given that, when Dorian came up the coast we thought Nocatee and others would have been impacted. We're glad to hear that was not the case. Though I suppose as we all know weather forecasts are usually overstated.

"Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated"

Quote:
Yes I am in 20 mile. You would think since the area used to be a swamp that it would flood easily but the drainage in Nocatee is better than anything I have seen.

Interesting you said that, I noticed on the SJ Flood Zone Map that the area of 20 Mile is made up of A and AE Zones. Yet, the homes and roads themselves are not... if I'm reading the map correctly. Which leads me to believe that perhaps the homes/roads were built on elevated/raised ground. And given that you're saying there are no flooding/drainage problems they apparently did a very good job. What's your opinion on that, have you heard anything about this ?

Attached Thumbnails
Evacuation Zones-sj.jpg  

Old 09-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Thanks for clarifying that G. Yes watching on the news it appears that the whole of the area will be affected by wind speeds. Given that, when Dorian came up the coast we thought Nocatee and others would have been impacted. We're glad to hear that was not the case. Though I suppose as we all know weather forecasts are usually overstated.

"Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated"

Interesting you said that, I noticed on the SJ Flood Zone Map that the area of 20 Mile is made up of A and AE Zones. Yet, the homes and roads themselves are not... if I'm reading the map correctly. Which leads me to believe that perhaps the homes/roads were built on elevated/raised ground. And given that you're saying there are no flooding/drainage problems they apparently did a very good job. What's your opinion on that, have you heard anything about this ?

Apparently there are pumps and what not underground (like Disney has). Years ago, long before Nocatee was thought of, this whole area was raised up. It used to be mostly wetlands. Many areas still are and those areas are obviously not zoned for development.

A lot of places in Nocatee drop back down in elevation in the preserve/wooded areas and this is also obvious on preserve lots that have fill dirt and then slope back down at the back of the property. I have seen some lots that also have block bulkheads/walls, even though there isn't a swimming pool.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Apparently there are pumps and what not underground (like Disney has). Years ago, long before Nocatee was thought of, this whole area was raised up. It used to be mostly wetlands. Many areas still are and those areas are obviously not zoned for development.

A lot of places in Nocatee drop back down in elevation in the preserve/wooded areas and this is also obvious on preserve lots that have fill dirt and then slope back down at the back of the property. I have seen some lots that also have block bulkheads/walls, even though there isn't a swimming pool.
Thank you G, that was very interesting and helpful. I never considered underground pumps, of which I would assume would have back up generators in place for the possible loss of power during a storm. SJ has always impressed us as to how well thought out the communities and areas in general are. Looking forward to our next trip down in the coming months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville