Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 2,282 times

Advertisements

We are starting to look at neighborhoods for an upcoming move. I find tons of information from a few years back about Durbin Crossing, but not much recent. So my question for folks that currently live there, are you still enjoying it? How's it holding up now that it's more established? Are there any particular areas in DC to avoid (poorly built, flooding, too many rental units, etc.)? Do you see the new shopping that is going into the area as a plus? Really anything that you would tell a friend if you were giving your honest opinion over a cocktail.

I appreciate any and all feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 06:20 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Durbin has its pros and cons currently.

Pros:
Location - pretty ideal now with 9B essentially going straight to the neighborhood. We now have much better/faster access to 95/295, which makes the commute more tolerable. Plus we are close to the Durbin Park shopping center and we have our own schools (Patriot Oaks, Creekside High) our own baseball fields, plus practice/game fields for soccer and lacrosse.
Amenities - two separate pools, nice tennis courts, our own gym (it's tiny though), a few upgraded playgrounds, we get food trucks every Friday and Chick-Fil-A comes on Thursdays.
Homes - Generally, the homes are very nice. The homes in North Durbin are a bit more custom than the South Durbin homes and other than the newly built homes/townhomes, you're getting into an upper middle class neighborhood. There are almost always homes for sale here, from the low $300s all the way to the $600s so you will have your choice of homes here.

Cons:
Homes Part 2 - I feel like the newly built homes/townhomes are a serious blight on our community. The homes that went in across from Patriot Oaks are small and the lots are laughably tiny. Unless you were lucky enough to get in early and buy one that backs to preserve or a retention pond, many homes essentially share a very small back yard and you could probably reach out and high-five your neighbors from your side windows. Add in two separate townhome communities (one looks like prison housing) and we now have a fairly overcrowded neighborhood.
Overcrowding - See above, with thousands of new residents and amenities that were put in prior to the expansion of the neighborhood, the amenities can seem overcrowded at times. Patriot Oaks is only a few years old and is already bursting at the seams with portable classrooms now necessary to accommodate all of the kids.
Amenities Part 2 - With all of the new communities popping up everywhere, Durbin's now seem fairly run-of-the-mill. The pools are nice, yes, but compared to Nocatee, Shearwater or even Julington Creek they are not as good. If our gym has more than 3 or 4 people in it at one time it can feel very crowded, that's how small it is. But when compared to non-CDD communities, they still are very nice.

And in general, most people here are very nice/friendly with a few exceptions. Avoid NextDoor and all of the online ranters about dog poop, bad driving and any other complaint you can think of and you'll be infinitely happier here. It is truly a cesspool of negativity. The same came probably be said about every neighborhood in NE FL.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM

661 posts, read 867,522 times
I live in Nocatee but have friends in DC. I like the area a lot. If I am driving to a friend's, I see lots of kids and folks out on the driveway while kids play etc....This is always good to see vs people that come home from work, enter garage, shut garage. I don't live there but people wave at me like I do live there. Another good sign! To me, all this means people are generally happy about life and their community is probably one reason why.

best of luck!

Old 09-21-2019, 06:31 PM

222 posts, read 425,665 times
dekaybe, part of the reason you probably don't see as much info about Durbin Crossing as in the past is because except for a handful of townhomes, the community is completely built out now. IMO the community continues to be kept up nicely. As others have said the amenities don't have all of the bells and whistles that others do - no zip line, lagoon, lazy river or retail within the community - and the workout room is, well, just a room. But the feel of the community is different than others as well. I have lived in Durbin for 9 years and although it has grown to approx. 2,000 homes there is a real community, know-your-neighbor kind of vibe to it. I consider the nearby shopping a positive thing and the 9B connector has taken 10-15 mins off travel time to places like downtown Jax, St Johns Town Center, the beaches, etc.
Best of luck with your decision and upcoming move!

Old 09-23-2019, 04:56 AM

Actually there is retail in the neighborhood now and they are continuing to build more retail on Longleaf Pine Pkwy. Who knows what it will end up being but thus far there have some kind of hair salon rental space and a tutoring club.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 AM

222 posts, read 425,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Actually there is retail in the neighborhood now and they are continuing to build more retail on Longleaf Pine Pkwy. Who knows what it will end up being but thus far there have some kind of hair salon rental space and a tutoring club.
True, there is the salon suite place, child care and (across from POA) some professional offices (attorneys, insurance). Those types of businesses don't get talked about like the restaurants in Nocatee or the retail that will be at BeachWalk, etc.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean1234 View Post
True, there is the salon suite place, child care and (across from POA) some professional offices (attorneys, insurance). Those types of businesses don't get talked about like the restaurants in Nocatee or the retail that will be at BeachWalk, etc.
I am still hopeful an Anytime Fitness comes to our area. They announced on their website a new location on "Longleaf and CR 2209" but unsure if they have their location correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville