U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,454 times

Advertisements

I’m moving down to Florida from New York with my wife and three kids, 8, 11, and 12 years old. We were looking into either palencia, Ponte Vedra or beachwalk. We would like a gated/golf cart community. Antyone have any thoughts, pros/cons. Also does anyone know the ccd’s of beachwalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 09:51 AM

370 posts, read 268,471 times
a bunch of people responded to your thread in August. Did you go back to read them? Why start over?

Don't quote me me but I think the beachwalk CDD's are pretty high....like thousands more than anywhere else. If you haven't visited the area, I would strongly suggest spending a few days down here to visit each of the places you mentioned.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 9,621 times
FWIW, I think Beachwalk is my least favorite neighborhood we have toured down there (and we have toured A TON).

Old 09-20-2019, 08:23 PM

18 posts, read 8,731 times
All of these areas are great, but if you are set on gated and a country club setting, Palencia is the best option in my opinion. Palencia has some great homes and they have an amazing array of amenities - superior to any other area in my opinion. Many people do not realize how much Palencia has because it is tucked away behind the gates and near the club, but they have a tennis club, golf course (separate membership for golf) and a great fitness center with childcare! There are multiple pools and even spa services available. It is located right off US1, so not as far as far removed as World Golf Village and really for the same price range as Beachwalk, it (again just an opinion) is more upscale and custom. That said, Beachwalk is brand new, so if you are a new home buyer, then Palencia has less options because some homes are older. The thing with Beachwalk is that I fear in the long-term it seems like it will fizzle - I mean why spend $500-900k to live at a fake beach when the real thing is less than 15 minutes east and you can buy a valuable home in PVB where property values have increased the most?

Beachwalk, for the time being, is also zoned for PVB elementary and middle schools and the school bus ride is FAR! and LONG! and not all buses are air conditioned. Palencia has its elementary school within the community and the middle school right now is about a 35 minute bus ride, but that may change as they announce new schools to be built. This does NOT mean that Beachwalk will remain zoned for Beach schools and will be a boost to property values - they are only zoning this way temporarily because there are no schools near Beachwalk and the Nocatee schools that are closer to Beachwalk are too crowded.

Nocatee and the Ponte Vedra area are also great - but you have to like "HUGE" communities and lots of people at the amenities, gym and events. Also be sure not to confuse Ponte Vedra and Ponte Vedra Beach - the schools are different zones and the homes at the beach are generally older, whereas in Nocatee there are a lot of new ones to pick from. Beach schools are considered the very best, but really all of north St. Johns has great schools. Nocatee can get expensive and now we are seeing many homes over the $800k mark, which in my opinion is a risk in a master planned community because the majority of homes are less and the future has yet to be seen about the value of such expensive homes in a community where homes start at $400k.

Message me if you want to chat more - we lived in Nocatee for 18 months and bought in Ponte Vedra Beach, but we have many friends in Palencia and really love that community.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 AM

697 posts, read 407,576 times
Beachwalk is a fad, we looked there and wrote it off immediately. Keeping that "pond" full of water will be, and is expensive to maintain, and will lay on the backs of the HOA to do so. So much better in the area to choose from.

Palencia is nice, more upscale, but IMHO too far from things.

Some parts of PV are nice too but traffic (because of the development in Nocatee) is getting (In fact is) ludicrous). Good access to JAX though.

If you have to travel to JAX every day then there is little choice. But if Not, there is Sea Colony, Marsh Creek CC, Ocean Palms, and Anastasia Dunes on Anastasia Island that are far better, again IMHO. Properties if you choose wisely are a little older but very well built and in "X" (500 year) Flood zones. Ours was built in 2003 of concrete, with a nice 140mph roof. Everything is within 5 Miles radius from some of the best doctors to lots of things to do and 5 mins from one of the best, if not the best kept beaches in NW Florida.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:02 PM

30 posts, read 13,563 times
I just moved into the Sentosa Beachwalk apartments until we find or build a house. You are looking at $500-600 a month in HOA/CDDs per month plus your mortgage payment (this is for the homes; the apartments charge a $75 a month amenity fee). Yes, Beachwalk looks cool. When they get the retail shopping area up and running it will be even nicer. But we already said "no thanks" to buying a home here. Just too expensive for us but at least we got to live here for a while.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 PM

33 posts, read 17,241 times
If you want a New York vibe then Nocatee might be your best bet. It wasn't what we wanted when moving to the south, but we grew up in Texas and California, so the Northeast vibe wasn't something we liked.

I get the impression that many, many people down in Nocatee are levered up financially and/or have a lot of skeletons in the closet. New move = new life!

I don't even like going to our son's games down there because of all the fighting I hear between couples, shamelessly out in the open like animals.

You couldn't pay me to live there.

Last edited by aa66bb; 09-23-2019 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,103,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa66bb View Post
If you want a New York vibe then Nocatee might be your best bet. It wasn't what we wanted when moving to the south, but we grew up in Texas and California, so the Northeast vibe wasn't something we liked.

I get the impression that many, many people down in Nocatee are levered up financially and/or have a lot of skeletons in the closet. New move = new life!

I don't even like going to our son's games down there because of all the fighting I hear between couples, shamelessly out in the open like animals.

You couldn't pay me to live there.
So you're saying my new reality series show "Housewives of Nocatee" has a chance?!

SS

Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM

370 posts, read 268,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
So you're saying my new reality series show "Housewives of Nocatee" has a chance?!

SS
LOL for sure! I've been in Nocatee for 2.5 years and I love it. I'm a local, born and raised. You have to look past the whole 'bubble' reputation that so many people think and expect when they move here. It's obvious the place kinda sells itself for people visiting for the first time. You make the drive in, exit to Crosswater, everything is beautiful, drive to amenity center, get a tour, see all the choices, all the retail stuff. WOW If I move here, my life will be perfect each and every day for the rest of my life. All my neighbors will wave at me, give my kid a popsicle, Jim next door will cut the grass for me if my back hurts, all the kids will be jump roping down the sidewalk.

That's honestly why I think so many people freak out when something doesn't go as they would like. Holy snikey! that guy ran a stop sign! Put him in front of the firing squad!

Anyway, if you ignore social media like FB and Nextdoor (or at least just observe it for entertainment), and it look at it for what it is - the undisputed master planned community champion of the area. then most buyers are making a good choice. I love pretty much everything about Nocatee and I have lived all over Jax, PVB, St Aug for over 40 years.

But yes, to your question, the house wives of nocatee could be a huge hit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or