U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:37 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,823,321 times

Advertisements

That Zip Code is not safe at all. It borders one of the most dangerous areas in the entire country. It also borders Grand Park and the Moncrief/Soutel area. If you don't already know Jacksonville struggles with an out of control violent crime problem. Now, if you don't want to have violent crime regularly occurring near and around your house then STAY AWAY!!

1. someone will be shot every other day within 5 miles of you. You can even hear gunfire at night sometimes.

2. I can't even imagine what the schools must be like but its bad.

3. as a rule of thumb you should stay south of the St Johns River. Sorry but that's the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 10:47 AM

4,274 posts, read 12,932,781 times
jd433 ... a very unfair post alluding to the only "safe" place to live is south of the St. Johns. Your profile says you are located in Houston TX ... perhaps you lived here at one time or have recently moved here, or are just relying on stories told by others. Not certain where you got your facts, but they have an unrealistic sensationalism to them. I have lived north of the river since 2013 and couldn't be any safer. Yes, the "Northside" ... I am guessing you would poopoo this area and call it unsafe ... you would be incorrect.

Like any big city, Jacksonville has its pockets of crime-laden neighborhoods, like Moncrief. Neighborhoods inside the I-295 beltway have more crime than outside the beltway, and the level of violent crime is higher. But to lump an entire zip code into a "danger zone" just because it shares its zip code with an unsafe neighborhood, or is adjacent to a zip code with an unsafe neighborhood, does not mean the entire zip code must be avoided. The northwestern parts of 32219 are far different than southeast 32219.

Jennahamm ... my advice is to research Jax neighborhoods to learn where these undesired pockets are. Naturally you don't want to live within them nor want to live near them meaning you would have to drive through them to get anywhere. Use crime maps, satellite views, do virtual drives with google streets. If it is at all possible, make a visit here to see and experience Jax for yourself.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:31 PM

184 posts, read 99,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
...or is adjacent to a zip code with an unsafe neighborhood, does not mean the entire zip code must be avoided. The northwestern parts of 32219 are far different than southeast 32219.
Correct! 32209 (most crime ridden zip code) is also right adjacent to downtown. So I assume all of downtown would also be considered as way too dangerous/off-limits.

I was not even aware that a very small part of 32219 (south east) is within the 295 beltway. I referred to the area outside the 295 beltway.

Anyway, here is a link with a 2018 homicide map for Jacksonville. According to that map, the southside of Jax (32256/32257/32258) is just as dangerous as 32219, or 32219 is just as safe as the southside of Jax (whichever way you want to see it).

See for yourself (the map is at the bottom, after the article): https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...32209-zip-code

Nowhere did I recommend that zip code to the OP, I only answered her original question.

Last edited by germanoricua; 09-25-2019 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 05:41 AM

4,737 posts, read 3,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post

Anyway, here is a link with a 2018 homicide map for Jacksonville. According to that map, the southside of Jax (32256/32257/32258) is just as dangerous as 32219, or 32219 is just as safe as the southside of Jax (whichever way you want to see it).
You can't just cherry pick a single violent crime to try and paint a false sense of safety & security in a zip code, there are a number of other factors one would want to consider when looking to move to a certain area with a child:

1. Other violent crimes (assault, theft)
2. School Districts
3. Home values
4. Income levels

Etc. etc.

Also, you're still not factoring in that that particular zip code borders some VERY bad zip codes. I feel like because YOU lived there you are being unnecessarily defensive about it when the reality is there are so many better options for someone looking to move to the Jax area, especially someone with young children.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Also, you're still not factoring in that that particular zip code borders some VERY bad zip codes. I feel like because YOU lived there you are being unnecessarily defensive about it when the reality is there are so many better options for someone looking to move to the Jax area, especially someone with young children.
See my post #9 on page 1.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:54 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,823,321 times
Default Are we trying to help this person? Or not?

Sure lets steer this person right into Durkeeville AT NIGHT OK? Then they will see for themselves what the northwest side is all about. Or Maybe we could Steer them into the Soutel/Moncrief area. You shouldn't live in a bad area and you also shouldn't have to drive through a bad area in order to get to work, shopping or dining either. You shouldn't be hearing gun shots from your house either. Now before moving there drive down New Kings AT NIGHT (because no one is awake during the day) then stroll down Moncrief from Soutel to W 8th st. and make sure you stop by Division and W 20th as well as Or W 8th st and Moncrief. Stroll down Myrtle at night from W 20th all the way to DOWNTOWN! Then decide if that location is good for you. IF you are still OK with living there more power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
jd433 ... a very unfair post alluding to the only "safe" place to live is south of the St. Johns. Your profile says you are located in Houston TX ... perhaps you lived here at one time or have recently moved here, or are just relying on stories told by others. Not certain where you got your facts, but they have an unrealistic sensationalism to them. I have lived north of the river since 2013 and couldn't be any safer. Yes, the "Northside" ... I am guessing you would poopoo this area and call it unsafe ... you would be incorrect.

Like any big city, Jacksonville has its pockets of crime-laden neighborhoods, like Moncrief. Neighborhoods inside the I-295 beltway have more crime than outside the beltway, and the level of violent crime is higher. But to lump an entire zip code into a "danger zone" just because it shares its zip code with an unsafe neighborhood, or is adjacent to a zip code with an unsafe neighborhood, does not mean the entire zip code must be avoided. The northwestern parts of 32219 are far different than southeast 32219.

Jennahamm ... my advice is to research Jax neighborhoods to learn where these undesired pockets are. Naturally you don't want to live within them nor want to live near them meaning you would have to drive through them to get anywhere. Use crime maps, satellite views, do virtual drives with google streets. If it is at all possible, make a visit here to see and experience Jax for yourself.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Sure lets steer this person right into Durkeeville AT NIGHT OK? Then they will see for themselves what the northwest side is all about. Or Maybe we could Steer them into the Soutel/Moncrief area. You shouldn't live in a bad area and you also shouldn't have to drive through a bad area in order to get to work, shopping or dining either. You shouldn't be hearing gun shots from your house either. Now before moving there drive down New Kings AT NIGHT (because no one is awake during the day) then stroll down Moncrief from Soutel to W 8th st. and make sure you stop by Division and W 20th as well as Or W 8th st and Moncrief. Stroll down Myrtle at night from W 20th all the way to DOWNTOWN! Then decide if that location is good for you. IF you are still OK with living there more power to you.
ALL the places you mention are in 32209. From 32219 you do not have to go down US1 to get to downtown or anywhere else. People take I-295 and I-10 instead.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:56 PM

4,737 posts, read 3,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
See my post #9 on page 1.
I saw it. So you said it's safe and a great place to live, but then said an Asian family would feel out of place and you would not recommend it for people with small children.

Sounds like a real gem of a place to call home.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 PM

3,303 posts, read 6,272,254 times
Lol...no one in the hood is paying outsiders any attention. In the Jacksonville 'hood, people mind their business, but if you come looking for trouble, you will get what you're looking for. I'm from the Northside of Jacksonville, as evidenced by my screen name. Sorry to burst the bubble of many posters here, but Southside has violence-prone areas just like Northside. Let's talk about Phillips Hwy, zips 32256-32258, Baymeadows corridor, Emerson St., that's 32207. The moral of the story is crime happens all over Jacksonville: Northside/NW, Westside and your precious Southside.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 PM

56 posts, read 19,144 times
It’s really hard for me to gauge the safety of Jax without going there first. I’ll be there in a few months. Some people say Jax is ALL messed up, some people say it’s a great place especially for children with autism, some people say just avoid the west side, north side etc. I appreciate everyone’s input on here. It’s so hard trying to figure how where I want to hone my search in and I get scared the realtor I work with is just throwing houses out there not giving me the complete picture. She’s the one who sent me that house in that zip code. Anyone who lives in CA that can compare cities? I know that’s a long shot. I grew up in San Fran, moved to a nice but not great city 30 min away when I got married (Hayward) now I live in a great area that’s one hour away from one of the worst cities in the county (Stockton) but the area I live is wonderful and very very safe. We just don’t like CA and the direction these politicians are moving it to so we want to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or