Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 06:45 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times

Advertisements

Each individual's opinion is based upon personal perception and comfort level influenced by expectations and/or experiences. Transplants may make comparisons to wherever they came from. Natives may hold onto memories of certain areas that in days of yore used to be vibrant and now are not or used to be "scary" and now are not. Traffic and drivers for examples ... you'll hear the entire spectrum of opinion that traffic is horrid to it's tolerable, and that Jacksonville drivers are the worst in the country to they aren't that bad and are worse elsewhere.

Jacksonville is so big land-wise that it offers so many different "flavors", and it's my personal opinion as a transplant that there is something here for everyone. But that's just my perception based upon where I've lived before coming here.

It is fact not opinion/perception that some areas are high crime areas (Moncrief for example) and that some roadways have heavier traffic than others (I-295/Blanding/Argyle).

Happy to hear you can make a visit first! In that way you can judge by what you personally see and feel and not have to rely solely upon others' perceptions.

As for the concern that a real estate agent will throw listings at you willynilly, I do suggest establishing a relationship with one before your visit. Once the agent learns what you're looking for, your parameters, he/she can start sending you listings, and hopefully will set you up into the MLS system (flexmls) which gives you a better insight into the market. However, be aware of the caveat that some agents have personal opinions/perceptions about different areas. Not all agent-buyer relationships work, so don't hesitate to find a different agent (before you arrive or while you're here) if the warm fuzzies aren't there, if you feel the agent is bypassing certain areas based purely upon opinion/perception. When househunting, and I have done it many times, I stay in the drivers seat. That's what I do because it is so easy to do research online (using realtor.com et al, virtually driving neighborhoods with google streets and satellite views, looking at spotcrime.com etc.) ... time consuming indeed, but worth it.

Jennahamm, it actually sounds like you're already a savvy buyer based upon your history that you shared. Just go with your gut, appreciating the opinions of others to help build a picture, and you will find something here in Jacksonville that works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 03:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennahamm View Post
It’s really hard for me to gauge the safety of Jax without going there first. I’ll be there in a few months. Some people say Jax is ALL messed up, some people say it’s a great place especially for children with autism, some people say just avoid the west side, north side etc. I appreciate everyone’s input on here. It’s so hard trying to figure how where I want to hone my search in and I get scared the realtor I work with is just throwing houses out there not giving me the complete picture. She’s the one who sent me that house in that zip code. Anyone who lives in CA that can compare cities? I know that’s a long shot. I grew up in San Fran, moved to a nice but not great city 30 min away when I got married (Hayward) now I live in a great area that’s one hour away from one of the worst cities in the county (Stockton) but the area I live is wonderful and very very safe. We just don’t like CA and the direction these politicians are moving it to so we want to move.
Well, you can take steps to minimize your exposure to crime but it is impossible to minimize your exposure to politicians.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:21 AM

64 posts, read 62,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Well, you can take steps to minimize your exposure to crime but it is impossible to minimize your exposure to politicians.
I feel this. My worst fear is we move to Florida and it turns blue. Not happy with the Democrats there but CA has the worst of the worst

Old 10-30-2019, 01:22 AM

64 posts, read 62,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor56 View Post
The eastern parts of 32219 are 'white flight' areas (Paxon for one) that are well past their prime. The western rural parts of 32219 north of Marietta are still decent last I heard. Raising children in Jax schools? A real crap shoot IMO. The last school my daughter attended before moving from Jax was considered the best elementary school in Duval County at that time. Unfortunately, her experience was very poor due to neighborhood bullies also being in her class. 'Events' in the neighborhood and at school were pivotal in my final decision to leave Jax. Fortunately, she turned out quite well. Now a wife, mother, and department head for a well known regional trucking company.

https://www.zipdatamaps.com/32219
Where did you move to? I will probably homeschool but would like to live near good schools anyway just in case my child doesn’t want to anymore

Old 10-30-2019, 01:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
I feel this. My worst fear is we move to Florida and it turns blue. Not happy with the Democrats there but CA has the worst of the worst
No. Not blue hat politicians; not red hat politicians; politicians.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 AM

9,270 posts, read 8,163,930 times
Quote:
just in case my child doesn’t want to anymore
You let your child decide his/her education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville