Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:52 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times

Advertisements

Does Jacksonville get bashed a little too much particularly by other Flordians (those who live south of the panhandle)? Jacksonville has it's problems but people are so quick to dismiss it as boring, ghetto or not real Florida. When Jacksonville is one of the oldest cites in Flordia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:18 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We lived in Jacksonville, the Southside/Baymeadows area, for 10 1/2 years and then moved back to Colorado. There are those that live there that absolutely love it, then there are those, like us, that seen changes and left. For us, we should've never left Colorado in the first place.

Jacksonville has it's bad points, but, to a point, everywhere does.

Turned out that we are not a "Florida" or "Southern" type couple/Seniors.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We lived in Jacksonville, the Southside/Baymeadows area, for 10 1/2 years and then moved back to Colorado. There are those that live there that absolutely love it, then there are those, like us, that seen changes and left. For us, we should've never left Colorado in the first place.

Jacksonville has it's bad points, but, to a point, everywhere does.

Turned out that we are not a "Florida" or "Southern" type couple/Seniors.
People who assume Florida is completely unsouthern never visited the northern portion of the state. Florida above i-4 is very much the south. Another thing that makes Jax different from it Southern counterparts (cities south of Jacksonville) is that is had tons of people who were born and raised there whereas Orlando or Tampa is overrun by Northern transplants.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Does Jacksonville get bashed a little too much particularly by other Flordians (those who live south of the panhandle)? Jacksonville has it's problems but people are so quick to dismiss it as boring, ghetto or not real Florida. When Jacksonville is one of the oldest cites in Flordia.
Yes it goes get bashed a lot. But so do all the other cities in FL for a multitude of reasons. I think sometimes it is deserved and sometimes not. Really comes down to the fact that lots of people have very different desires/interests/etc and also because people can have vastly different experiences depending on their job, social network, income, neighborhood, etc and yet we all take our little slice of the world and extrapolate it to how we think most people should feel about an entire region.

Anyway, I do like Jax. It is my forever hometown and I have lots of roots and connections to it. But it definitely has a lot of faults too, especially if you like cosmopolitan and diverse environments.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yes it goes get bashed a lot. But so do all the other cities in FL for a multitude of reasons. I think sometimes it is deserved and sometimes not. Really comes down to the fact that lots of people have very different desires/interests/etc and also because people can have vastly different experiences depending on their job, social network, income, neighborhood, etc and yet we all take our little slice of the world and extrapolate it to how we think most people should feel about an entire region.

Anyway, I do like Jax. It is my forever hometown and I have lots of roots and connections to it. But it definitely has a lot of faults too, especially if you like cosmopolitan and diverse environments.
Yeah Jax does feel more Traditional compared to it's Florida peers but I see it has a decent amount of Asians and Hispanics living there. It is a mostly White city and sprawl so it comes off very country to someone from the northeast, but it doesn't stop people from enjoying cites like Charlotte and Columbia which have some of the same problems Jacksonville have but doesn't get nearly as much flack.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:07 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Born and raised in Jacksonville & I like the traditional feel to it. I like that Jacksonville isn’t overrun with Northern transplants like Orlando/Tampa or S. Florida. I’m annoyed when people say Jacksonville is ghetto, like other cities don’t have ghetto areas. I have no problem with the ghetto. I feel more comfortable in the hood areas of Jacksonville than I would Mandarin, Southside/Baymeadows, or any of the white areas of Jacksonville. I don’t want Jacksonville to become some cosmopolitan city.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The only thing I "bash" Jax for is the traffic. i'm just not used to it.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Born and raised in Jacksonville & I like the traditional feel to it. I like that Jacksonville isn’t overrun with Northern transplants like Orlando/Tampa or S. Florida. I’m annoyed when people say Jacksonville is ghetto, like other cities don’t have ghetto areas. I have no problem with the ghetto. I feel more comfortable in the hood areas of Jacksonville than I would Mandarin, Southside/Baymeadows, or any of the white areas of Jacksonville. I don’t want Jacksonville to become some cosmopolitan city.
Spoken like a true Northsider. Jacksonville does show a more homegrown feel.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
They say FL is the only state that gets more Southern the more north you go.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:06 AM

661 posts, read 867,522 times
I think people that have never been to Florida and get the opportunity automatically think it's supposed to look like Tahiti the minute you cross the state border. The sad truth is once you get to the areas that look like Tahiti you can't u-turn fast enough to go back the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville