U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,220,164 times

Advertisements

I stay in this area for about 4 months every year. I don't understand why businesses don't put in a small wifi hotspot for their customers. Everywhere I go, I get Xfinity, but since I don't live in an Xfinity area, I have to buy access to their hotspots for $55 and change every month. I started a policy, where if I go into a business, and the only wifi is Xfinity, I walk right out the door. I found that the big box stores offer free wifi, and so do all the supermarkets I shop at.

Small business people are you listening? I travel all over and Jax is the only place where I find this to be the rule, rather than the exception. Wifi routers are cheap, and you already pay for internet service. Just do it, plug one in, and password it if you need to, but offer customers the password.

I refuse to shop at any business that makes me have to PAY Xfinity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 02:46 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,448,486 times
What kind of businesses do you frequently visit long enough to need wifi? Is your own mobile data plan not sufficient or is it incapable of broadcasting a hot spot for your own personal use?

Old 10-16-2019, 02:49 PM

38,105 posts, read 34,121,965 times
Why on earth would you need someone else's wifi in 2019? Maybe for a hotel or a restaurant. Otherwise free wifi is loaded with scammers, viruses and other nasties. My phone has unlimited data, a hot spot and almost always all bars. Just say no to open hot spots.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:22 PM

Default wifi.....

Because in many places that use PCS bands, there is no coverage (2100mhz). Most phones use wifi for backup if the cell signal is too weak. For those of us who need to get calls that are time sensitive, it's a real plus. Plus if I go to a restaurant, I may need to get a call. I don't talk on the phone in the restaurant, I go outside, but a lost call is lost money. Plus every place has wifi, Xfinity wifi, which costs me an extra $55 a month......Apparently you aren't in time sensitive mode, so it makes no difference to you.

Every other area, with only a few exceptions has free wifi. You guys are getting had here under Xfinity. There are a couple of other areas that do the same thing.

Does it matter how much unlimited data, and calling you have on your plan if there is no signal? For instance I lost about some cash today because of crappy coverage in a big building.

So yes it matters to me.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Just another note, I run all my data through a VPN, so even an open wifi hotspot is imore secure than a home secured wifi connection. I don't worry about data nearly as much as I do about phone calls. If someone wants to listen to a digital phone call over wifi, it's not easy, as my calls are encrypted. So they might see who I call, but they don't know what I said.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:13 AM

242 posts, read 99,729 times
I use Xfinity for my cable and internet...so Xfinity wifi is free for me.

Freeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

The only way you're gonna escape Xfinity is to be in an area not serviced by them. So OP, this appears to be a personal problem. Yours. A mom and pop ice cream shop or diner or antique store do not exist to help you facilitate your calls. They're there to sell you ice cream, food & antiques. See where I'm going with this?

If it matter so much, you can purchase your own personal hotspot.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:29 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,448,486 times
$55/mo sounds like a legitimate cost of running your business in a productive and reliable manner, based on what you've explained. As a close friend of mine says, "sounds like a YOU issue, homie!"

Good luck, OP!

Old 10-18-2019, 08:16 AM

4,740 posts, read 3,419,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Apparently you aren't in time sensitive mode, so it makes no difference to you.
You are correct. I'm not glued to my stupid phone when I'm out shopping, getting dinner or generally doing anything outside of the house. What a sad way to go through life, with your head down in your phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or