Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 01:13 AM

64 posts, read 63,721 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Jax next year. We are a conservative, friendly, religious Asian family of four. I found a house that seems perfect in the 32219 area code. Another lady I talked to said it’s right near the bad part of Jax. Is that true? What can you tell me about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 05:56 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Looks like NW Jax, which is the very worst part of Jacksonville. Low income, older houses with a lot of crime, including gang activity.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennahamm View Post
Looking to move to Jax next year. We are a conservative, friendly, religious Asian family of four. I found a house that seems perfect in the 32219 area code. Another lady I talked to said it’s right near the bad part of Jax. Is that true? What can you tell me about this area?
You can use spotcrime.com or crimemapping.com, plug in an address, and then you can see what's been happening in the area around a particular home, neighborhood, or zip code.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM

266 posts, read 261,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Looks like NW Jax, which is the very worst part of Jacksonville. Low income, older houses with a lot of crime, including gang activity.
Not true. That zip code is not part of the worst part of Jax. This zip code is outside the 295 beltway and has low crime when you check the crime web sites. Less than 32218 (right next to it), which has a higher reputation real-estate wise. It is still mostly rural but very close to the city and the airport, no noise from planes, though, very quiet. I know because I lived there. The population is a mixture of African Americans, often middle class, and white rural Florida folks (e. g. Dinsmore).

Yes, it is true that the really bad areas are not far from there. As long as you avoid US 1 inside the beltway (going south towards downtown) and use I-295 instead, you are fine.

No, it is not all old houses, there are plenty of new(er) developments.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 AM

64 posts, read 63,721 times
Thanks. I’m looking for a rural area near amenities to raise my kids. Did you like living there? What made you move?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennahamm View Post
Thanks. I’m looking for a rural area near amenities to raise my kids. Did you like living there? What made you move?
The location was convenient, we lived very close to I-295, so it was very easy to get anywhere. It was very peaceful and quiet there but we were still close to the city.

There are many stores on Dunn Avenue and then a bit further at River City Market Place next to the airport.

If I had kids, I would look for an area with better schools. The elementary school is fine but the high school is not good. That applies to zip code 32218 also.

Jacksonville has a fairly large African American (which I will abbreviate as AA) community and most AAs live in the northern half of Jacksonville. What I did not like there was the slight racism I felt from AA women towards me as a white person. Most store employees in that area are AAs and many AA women are not very friendly towards white people, no matter how friendly you are to them. They make you understood that small talk is not welcome. Should you be African American, you will not have that problem. AA men, however, always treated me with respect and like everyone else. No problem there.

We moved because we wanted to live in Orlando. Had we stayed in Jacksonville, we would have stayed in that area because it was convenient for us and we had a beautiful house there.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
Not true. That zip code is not part of the worst part of Jax. This zip code is outside the 295 beltway and has low crime when you check the crime web sites. Less than 32218 (right next to it), which has a higher reputation real-estate wise. It is still mostly rural but very close to the city and the airport, no noise from planes, though, very quiet. I know because I lived there. The population is a mixture of African Americans, often middle class, and white rural Florida folks (e. g. Dinsmore).

Yes, it is true that the really bad areas are not far from there. As long as you avoid US 1 inside the beltway (going south towards downtown) and use I-295 instead, you are fine.

No, it is not all old houses, there are plenty of new(er) developments.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Median Income: $37,408
Median Home Price: $149,100

https://www.news4jax.com/news/breakd...johns-counties

Northwest Jacksonville & portions of the Westside (includes zip codes 32209 & 32219):

So far this year in this area, police report 9,576 crimes. The most common is theft followed by assault, vandalism, home burglaries and car break-ins.

This area leads the city in violent crimes with 638 reports of assault, where someone was seriously hurt, 230 street robberies, 36 carjackings, and an alarming 25 murders. To put that murder number in perspective, there have been more murders here than anywhere else in Jacksonville.

Try again.

Last edited by Yac; 10-02-2019 at 05:44 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
[url]
Northwest Jacksonville & portions of the Westside (includes zip codes 32209 & 32219):

So far this year in this area, police report 9,576 crimes. The most common is theft followed by assault, vandalism, home burglaries and car break-ins.

This area leads the city in violent crimes with 638 reports of assault, where someone was seriously hurt, 230 street robberies, 36 carjackings, and an alarming 25 murders. To put that murder number in perspective, there have been more murders here than anywhere else in Jacksonville.
[/b]
If they combine these two zip codes (which are very different), of course they come up with these numbers. I could bet that grand majority of these crimes happened in 32209. That is the deadliest zip code in Jacksonville. Any zip code in combination with the most crime ridden zip code in Jax will look bad.

The OP should check the address of the house she found on CrimeMapping.com and SpotCrime.com to see for herself.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:26 PM

Jennahamm,

I just reread your initial post and saw that you are Asian. I think you and your family would feel out of place in that area (32219). As a young family with kids I would look for a home on the south side of Jax or in St. John's county (best schools). Orange Park seems to be OK, too, but has too much traffic, especially on Blanding Boulevard.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
If they combine these two zip codes (which are very different), of course they come up with these numbers. I could bet that grand majority of these crimes happened in 32209. That is the deadliest zip code in Jacksonville. Any zip code in combination with the most crime ridden zip code in Jax will look bad.

The OP should check the address of the house she found on CrimeMapping.com and SpotCrime.com to see for herself.
They are right next to one another. Why would anyone want to move into a zip code directly adjacent to the "most crime ridden zip code in Jax" if they are moving here with small children? Would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville